MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-05-07, 14:47

Default Badge Collecting Books?

I'm starting to become more interested in collecting Cap Badges and shoulder flashes of the Canadian and British Armies during WW2 and was wondering if there is a catalog available to help with both identification and pricing..the latter so I don't get burned while buying from dealers and the like.

I already have F.R. Tripp's Canada's Army in WWII but it is lacking different styles and what difference the Officers Badges may have been. Also it includes no pricing ideas.

I've seen many badges on Epay usually around the 10.00 U.S. mark with many more in the higher dollar range and have bought a few but many of the ones I have come through militaria shops at much more reasonable prices. Again I'm not in this for money I just don't want to get burned.

I've heard of a book called Meaze's (not sure of the spelling) I think and this seems to be a reference many dealers use. If so where is it found?

Any help is greatly appreciated and any good sources of badges and flashes would be a great help.

Thanks
Sean
Old 13-05-07, 16:07

Hi Sean

Welcome to the never ending depths of collecting militaria. Once you have one it is never enough.

Head on over to the Canuck website. At the moment Mike Derosh is redoing his site so there is 3 different web-verions online. There is a lot of info on cab badges and shoulder flashes.

They also have one of the best forums for collecting Canadian militaria (at least non vehicle). Post questions and they are usualy answered quickly. Just be prepared to have some answers simply say "buy a book."

www.canadiansoldiers.com

Best of luck and welcome to this new hobby.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 14-05-07, 12:28

Default References

Hello Sean, Easy question, tough answer. There are not many references out there, and the ones that are are often oop and/or very difficult to find.
Here is a string on the Canuck site about the standard reference, Canadian Badges, Insignes Canadiens 1920-1950 By Daniel Mazeas. There are copies available through two dealers, as indicated in this string.
Spend a lot of time at shops and go to militaria shows to learn as much as you can. There are lots of pitfalls out there, but it is fun tracking down the badges that you want.