MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 11-10-06, 22:49

Default Bedford QL aircraft refuellers

I have just bought the superb 1/48 Accurate Armour refueller with booms and, as I think that this was a post war vehicle, I would like to backdate it to an earlier version.

I have seen photos of QLs refuelling aircraft with hoses from a door on the right hand side and, in another version, from the double doors at the back. As I am an aircraft modeller with little knowledge of the various versions, can anyone help me with photos or information that would enable me to carry out the alteration.

I would need photos showing the top of the tank and detail of the rear area with the door[s] open and would be very grateful if any of you can point me in the right direction.
Old 12-10-06, 22:37

Hi Ian

Think this is the info you are looking for, i to have a unmade kit of the QL its been sat their for about 3 years i suppose i will get to constructing some time
cheers Les
Attached Thumbnails
mlu10.jpg   mlu11.jpg   mlu12.jpg  
Old 13-10-06, 10:56
Tim Taylor

This is one i saved recently at a farm auction, it was about to be cut up. Fortunately it is now going to a good home in Devon, not bad for £500.
Attached Thumbnails
mlu.jpg  
Old 13-10-06, 12:36

Thanks very much for the photos, guys. I should have mentioned that I don't really want to have to hack the kit around - the only reason for doing so would be if the version with the booms was used post war only. I have hunted through thousands of photos showing aircraft on the ground and not seen one showing the QL with booms. If I could find one photo of it in service during WW2, I could go ahead and build the kit as is. The kit is the new 1/48 scale one by Accurate Armour and it is really superb. I have also come across an outfit called ASAM Models [ ex Hart Models ] who produce a wide range of MT in 1/48 and they do the QL as in the photos, but without open doors.

Re your photos.....

The third photo shows the back end of the version with booms, similar to, but not the same layout, as in the kit.

The top photo seems to match the back end shown in the 4th photo, except for the straight mudguards.

The second photo, which I have seen in "Military Vehicle Pamphlet - No 5", is the same as the one rescued in the auction, with the pump in the RH side and the 3hp engine in the LH side. Looking at this photo, am I correct in assuming that the hoses attach on either side of the rear fitting on top of the tank?
Old 26-06-12, 21:00
MLU Administrator

Here's a colour shot of one refuelling a No. 200 Sqn. Hudson at Freetown, Gambia: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787...57605269786717
Attached Thumbnails
No. 200 Sqn. Hudson being refuelled by Bedford QL at Freetown, Gambia 3734540545_f46100c86a_o.jpg  
Old 28-06-12, 16:45

So in the airfix kit the Austin K6 fire tender is fiction for WW2 and also possibly the booms on the QL ?
Old 28-06-12, 22:54
MLU Administrator

Here's another one, without booms. . .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2786225...in/photostream
Old 29-06-12, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalky View Post
So in the airfix kit the Austin K6 fire tender is fiction for WW2 and also possibly the booms on the QL ?
It looks that way. After 40 years of RAF delving no evidence of QL with booms during WW2; However the AEC 0854 6x6 bowser did start to receive booms before hostilities ended. Airfix produce a Battle of Britain Airfield set- Spitfire. fighter pen plus the bowsers-- you guessed the BoB was approx 12 months before the QL entered service : !!
TED