MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 20-03-05, 14:22

Default Diving off shore from Juno Beach

On history Television at 6pm (20/03/2005) there is a show in the series “The Sea Hunters” where they are diving to look for artefacts off shore from Juno Beach. The show was also on at 7am this morning, but I only saw the last 5 min. of it.

http://www.historytelevision.ca/tv/s...itle_70403.asp
Old 21-03-05, 01:14
M38A1 CDN3

Just finished watching the "Sea Hunters" episode, as reported above by John McGillvary.

Overall opinion: B+.

Detractions which caused me to bristle and invoke the usual: from my wife:

Overview of the landing beaches shows the current Canadian flag vice the Red Ensign at Juno Beach

Some Dieppe landing shots were interspersed with D Day landing shots. This was particularly off-putting and historically inaccurate.

Also inaccurate was the implication that the Canadian floating Command Post HQ, aboard HMS Lawford, was bombed by Ju 87 Stuka dive bombers. IIRC, only Priller and his wingman did one pass over the beaches. (Icould be wrong here, but the implication was that Ju 87s were used during the landings...I don't think that is correct).

Scene at Abbeye d'Ardenne probably demands a program all to itself. (This is where some 20 Canadian soldiers were murdered by the SS).

Anyway, highly recommended for viewing; the participation of the Canadian Navy, with their side scan capabilities, made the location of wrecks and subsequent scenes possible.
Old 21-03-05, 03:05
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Skag

Agreed on all points plus a couple of others: their ignorance of technical equipment used was appalling - you'd think they'd do the research so that they knew what to look for on the bottom! Also, what the hell were they doing diving off UTAH on a program about JUNO? Ah well, interesting just the same. Thanks for the heads-up, John.
Old 21-03-05, 05:33
M38A1 CDN3

Also, did you pick up on the part where they were trying to figure out what tank was on the bottom?

"Doh"...could it be a Sherman?

Then they shot a few frames around a Sherman mounted on a pedestal on the beach. They only showed frontal shots, but that tank, a 75mm gunned unit, is "BOLD".

Yeah, ya can sure pick apart any "historical" presentation with regard to authenticity. Why the hell don't they ask "us"?:
Old 11-08-07, 20:05
Gregory Pollard

Default Abbaye d'Ardenne

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Scene at Abbeye d'Ardenne probably demands a program all to itself. (This is where some 20 Canadian soldiers were murdered by the SS).[/B]
Hi Jon,

As the nephew of one of the soldiers murdered there, L/Cpl. George Pollard, I couldn' agree more. I don't know if you already know the story about my uncle. His body was never found.

History Televison did do a documentary touching on the Abbaye along with other murders in Normandy. David Paperny films, "Murder In Normandy", aired November 11th, 1999. My mother and I were in the documentary. My uncle's murder was one of the story lines for the film.

It would be very fitting if History Television would do something on all twenty men murdered there.

I know there are many books that mention the murders there, I myself have written a book about my uncle's life up to the time of his murder, the book is called "Missing".

Thanks for thinking about the men at the Abbaye.

Greg Pollard
Old 12-08-07, 00:17
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: Abbaye d'Ardenne

Quote:
Originally posted by Gregory Pollard
I know there are many books that mention the murders there, I myself have written a book about my uncle's life up to the time of his murder, the book is called "Missing".
Greg Pollard
Hi Gregory,

Is your book currently published and being sold? Members might be interested in knowing that

I don't know why someone hasn't done so already, considering how much publicity was given and how many people are searching for information about their relative. I'd like to see a website for all of the Soldiers murdered in Normandy, with the individuals and their stories and where family and other interested people can visit to learn more about their relative, and/or add information. 156 men were murdered. Many of these soldiers were good buds. I'm sure that some families must have photos of some of these buds as well That's a lot of lives, and a lot of family and friends effected. To honour their memories and individual lives and just because.

I don't have the means or the ability to setup and run a website, though I will have some personal pages up about my Uncle at some point, but they'll only be up as long as I am living here and using my servers free webspace that comes with my account. There's a limit of space used too of course.
Old 12-08-07, 02:46
Gregory Pollard

Hi Carmen,

Thanks for asking about "Missing".

I have been selling the book myself by word of mouth. It is also forsale at the Juno Beach Centre, they have sold quite a few copies for me.

I am at the point where I have to decide to print more or look for a publisher. I have about 20 copies left from the 550 that I had printed. I had one publisher interested, but they wanted to change the title and only publish my uncle's letters. I decided not to go that route, there is more to my uncle's story than just his letters home. The book also describes through newspaper clippings the trial of Maj.-Gen. Kurt Meyer.

If anyone is interested in buying a copy they can contact me through email.

Bye for now,
Gregory
Old 12-08-07, 03:16
Vets Dottir 2nd

...and thanks for giving MLU-ers details about the book, Gregory. Now if anyone in here wants to have a copy they know where and how to get one.

Having just 20 copies left means that you sold a whole lot, therefore a lot of people were/are interested. I'll assume that a lot of relatives who lost a family soldier to the murders in Normandy, especially at the Abbey, would want to read it. New information can come to light too.

Excellent.

Carman.