MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 04-10-10, 01:05

Default Calling all you radio experts!

A friend from work heard I recently bought a CMP to restore. So he asked me if I wanted an "old radio" to go with it. I said "sure".
So he dropped off the following today;
These two are side by side.

A metal box marked "Mine AT M152 1944" with some parts in it;

Another, smaller radio but is still marked "19 set"

The contents of the metal box;

Another small box that was in the big box (not getting confusing am I?) with Vacuum tubes in it, they all seem intact.

If one of you radio types could let me know if any of this is worth salvaging, or if he just handed me an interesting boat-anchor, let me know.
Pedro
Old 04-10-10, 01:16
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default 19 set

PEDRO

It is a ubiquitous No. 19 set . There is a web site devoted to it in Canada

http://www.qsl.net/ve3bdb/

Many were supplied to Russia under Lend Lease, hence the Russian script. Some were captured and used by Germans too. The Canadian ones often have the Maple Leaf logo transfer .

MIKE
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 04-10-10, 01:21
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Talk to our member Jon Skagfeld... he probably knows more about these sets than anyone alive...
Old 04-10-10, 01:48
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Both units look like Northern Electric MKIIIs. They're in pretty rough shape (cosmetically) but in the right hands should clean up well. There is a crystal calibrator which isn't very common these days. The empty box it is sitting in is for the power supply that is in the big box.

One control box is missing the drop plug, can't tell about the other one. Variometer is there on what looks like a #23 carrier. Spare valve box looks reasonably complete.

Considering your friend dropped by and gave them to you consider it a good bargain. Whether you are doing armour, softskin or just ground station this set was the most common one used by the commonwealth forces.

If you don't want to do the work I'm sure there are those who will come out of the woodwork to relieve you of them Even from Texas.
Old 04-10-10, 02:15
Harold

Here are a couple pics of my Mk19 radio unit but it's in 1/6th scale. A friend of mine makes these for use in Canadian and British vehicles. You can see just how small the radio is... that is a Bic lighter sitting on top of the radio. For the toggle switches he uses brass belaying pins made for ship models

Old 04-10-10, 02:25
M38A1 CDN3

As usual, Bruce McMillan beat me to it with an accurate description of what was donated to the cause.

Some of those items are in very short supply.

Pzrwest...any more information on the scale model #19 set? Price...availability, etc.
Old 04-10-10, 04:06
Terry Warner

[QUOTE=pzrwest;136985]Here are a couple pics of my Mk19 radio unit but it's in 1/6th scale. A friend of mine makes these for use in Canadian and British vehicles. You can see just how small the radio is... that is a Bic lighter sitting on top of the radio. For the toggle switches he uses brass belaying pins made for ship models

QUOTE]

Time to quit smoking when a light the size of a fire extinguisher is what you need to light 'em up.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 04-10-10, 06:40
Harold

These 1/6th mk19 radios are sold by Panzerwerk they were about 69.00US for a painted and decaled one but you can get it as a kit and finish yourself for less. At the present they are not available do to re-molding but will be back for sale when the new molds are finished
Old 04-10-10, 10:10

Here is the 19 set I have installed in my Mk2 carrier. Also with the Russian writing. A station like this in the UK could easily be worth in excess of £300. Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Carrier.jpg  

Last edited by Ron Pier; 04-10-10 at 12:49.
Old 07-10-10, 11:01
Derek Heuring

Default Someone mention my name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
Both units look like Northern Electric MKIIIs. They're in pretty rough shape (cosmetically) but in the right hands should clean up well. There is a crystal calibrator which isn't very common these days. The empty box it is sitting in is for the power supply that is in the big box.

One control box is missing the drop plug, can't tell about the other one. Variometer is there on what looks like a #23 carrier. Spare valve box looks reasonably complete.

Considering your friend dropped by and gave them to you consider it a good bargain. Whether you are doing armour, softskin or just ground station this set was the most common one used by the commonwealth forces.

If you don't want to do the work I'm sure there are those who will come out of the woodwork to relieve you of them Even from Texas.
I'm only looking for pristine 19 Sets now Bruce, as I've got a large selection of PSU's, A/B sets, etc. in varying condition. I've also branched out and picked up several working and complete PRC 25's along with a AM-2060 for my M37 which is nearing completion. Still looking for the elusive aerial rods "F" which seem to be scarcer than hen's teeth.

Derek.