MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 17-01-10, 00:03
Gilles Chartrand

Default Dedicating a vehicle to a soldier

I need some advise, I have just acquired a M1010 CUCV Ambulance from the US. This is exactly the same type our Field Ambs have used and the Reserves are using.
I would like to have this restored vehicle dedicated to the Medics that have died in Afganistan (4), this will include their names on the side of the vehicle, when it is on display pictures and a short narrative of who they were.
Now the question:
Is this a proper memorial? I don't want to appear tacky nor tarnish their accomplishements and sacrifice. We plan to contact the families and ask their permission. This will be my wife's ambulance, she was a Medic in the Forces and has driven the ambulance. Your opinions would be appreciated, positive or negative. Thanks Gilles
P.S. For all you people in the Ottawa area don't tell my wife, she doesn't know I bought the Ambulance , we plan on giving it to her on her birthday in April. For those who squeel on me, don't forget I own a Septic tank cleaning company and you might be in real deep s-it. Thanks
Old 17-01-10, 00:29
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Gilles,

Speaking personally (of course), I see nothing wrong with that, and everything right and noble about it. Any proper memorial to our Fallen is not tacky.

Geoff
Old 17-01-10, 03:24
M38A1 CDN3

Agree...not tacky.

A long haul trucker did his whole rig up with a fitting moving memorial to a CF soldier killed in Agstan (his son?).

(Still have Box Amb CUCV on my 404s).
Old 17-01-10, 19:53

Default Vehicle dedication.

I believe that a living memorial to our fallen soldiers is one of the best ways of keeping their memory alive. These men and women have given their all. If they had a chance, they would sit with you and tell you exactly how the vehicle should be decked out. They would take great pride in telling you of their adventures in much the same vehicle.

I am in the process of building a boat dedicated to the memory of fallen Royal Canadian Mounted Police officers. Word of the boat project trickled out to some family members. They have all thanked me for my efforts.

When you finish with the vehicle and it is on display, you will give everyone a chance to put a name and a face to a piece of military equipment. In this way they will not be forgotten.

Last edited by guyvapeur; 17-01-10 at 23:49.
Old 17-01-10, 22:05
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyvapeur View Post
I believe that a living memorial to our fallen soldiers is one of the best ways of keeping their memory alive. These men and women have given their all. If they had a chance, they would sit with you and tell you exactly how the vehicle should be decked out. They would take great pride in telling you of their adventures in much the same vehicle.

I am in the process of building a boat dedicated to the memory of fallen Royal Canadian Police officers. Word of the boat project trickled out to some family members. They have all thanked me for my efforts.

When you finish with the vehicle and it is on display, you will give everyone a chance to put a name and a face to a piece of military equipment. In this way they will not be forgotten.
Guy: Did you mean Royal Canadian Mounted Police?

If so, by any chance, is the boat either the St Roch or the Shaunavon?
Old 17-01-10, 22:13

Default Correction

I meant to write Royal Canadian Mounted Police. More specifically the fallen four members from Mayerthorpe Alberta who died on March 3rd, 2005.

The boat`s name will be ORION, in memory of Cst. Anthony Orion Fitzgerald GORDON.

Thanks for the head`s up.

Guy

Last edited by guyvapeur; 17-01-10 at 23:48. Reason: Mispelled name
Old 24-01-10, 01:35
Prep for STAB...STAB ON!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Agree...not tacky.

A long haul trucker did his whole rig up with a fitting moving memorial to a CF soldier killed in Agstan (his son?).

(Still have Box Amb CUCV on my 404s).
It was for Tpr Boutillier....he was one of my soldiers before I got rolled over to the tank Squadron. The trucker is a friend of the family if I recall correctly.

RIP Boots.

Regards