MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-01-04, 12:29
former Resident Historian

Default Models anyone?

If a CMP model series was available in resin, which one would buyers want to see first please? I suspect 15-cwt G/S or FAT but what's the thoughts please?
Old 23-01-04, 12:59
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Models anyone?

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
I suspect 15-cwt G/S or FAT but what's the thoughts please?
Hmm, the 15-cwt and FAT are available as 1:35 scale kits (Airfix, Italeri, etc.) - see the thread "cgt model info".

Why not make a series of separately available components like chassis, cabs, axles, wheels, bodies, etc.? Each modeller can then choose the bits to build their favourite type of CMP they picked from your upcoming CMP book!

Apart from a signed copy of your book, this business advice is free

Hope this helps,
Hanno
Old 23-01-04, 13:20

Default 1/32 nd scale

Thanks Hanno..though the models will be 1/32nd scale to match the soldiers [54 mm]. Good idea though, thanks!
Old 23-01-04, 14:24
MLU Administrator

Default Re: 1/32 nd scale

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
Thanks Hanno..though the models will be 1/32nd scale to match the soldiers [54 mm]. Good idea though, thanks!
1:32 scale?!? I quit building models at least 15 years ago, and even then 1:32 scale was obsolete...I'd go for 1:35 scale...better match your models to the majority of vehicle kits.

Why not test your ideas at a modellers forum like the Allied WWII AFV Discussion Group?

Regards,
Hanno
Old 23-01-04, 15:13
Dog Robber

David/Hanno:

I will do further research but even though it is not in your scale, try www.asamco.uk for resin models of a lot of otherwise unavailable CMP models in 1/48 scale. I don't have time just now but will get back to some reference stuff I have after work today.

Hanno: I just visited the AWM photographic site for the first time in maybe six months and wonder if you had been off it for a while too. They have reformated the pics and they no longer have the logo written accross the pic but have a discreet awm signature and the neg number all the way off the image. Very nice!!!
Bill
Old 23-01-04, 15:18
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default Armour models

I agree with Hanno. At least here in North America, nobody builds 1/32 anymore. 1/35 is the norm and I know that myself, I would rather match new kits with my previous built ones in this scale.
I would like to see someone come out with some of the lesser known cmps eg. otter, fox, HUP, CMP mach, wrecker etc.
Maybe the idea of resin accs kits might sell better such as body
Old 23-01-04, 15:47

Default Replies

Seems that to have models made with components would cost 10 times as much as a model complete. The resin can then be modified. It also seems that the company is going down the 1/32nd scale to match the figures, 54 mm scale, and not 1/35th/plastic toy soldiers. Luckily the models will be able to be made to order in limited runs in case the majority want 1/35th. I guess the smaller scale can follow in due course.
Old 23-01-04, 16:39

David,

You are not just writing books on CMP's, but you are now even thinking of starting a CMP-modeling line??? Am I correct?
That would be great!

But just like Hanno said, choose 1/35 in stead of 1/32!
Most modelers around the world build 1/35. I can't think of any one who still builds 1/32 and I know several modelers! Everyone uses the 54 mm figures in combination with 1/35. A 1/35 scale CMP modeling line would attract far more buyers!

I have done some master-modeling for a dutch firm, but I gave up this master-modeling because of vague agreements and because I didn't have anymore time for my own modeling-projects.
I am now doing some tests at home for reproducing parts in resin for home use and I am thinking of producing/selling a M29 Weasel-kit for fun.
I also thought of the idea that Hanno mentioned about selling separate CMP-parts, so the modeler can choose it's own vehicle and compose it from several parts, but I was thinking of this idea for British soft-skins.

I think people would love to see resin-kits of the following CMP's:

Chevrolet C60X Workshop (with interior)
Ford F60L/Chevrolet C60L
Chevrolet C15TA
Chevrolet C8/Ford F8 Wireless
etc. etc.

bye, Alex van de Wetering

p.s. I am still working on my Ford F60H breakdown
Old 23-01-04, 17:41

Default Multi-talented

Hi Alex! I think that we shall have to see what the director Nick West comes up with in the end now. He has found a resin casting company in southern England but the big problem with producing a kit is the cost involved. We are talking of £600 for the masters plus mould costs, etc. and there is no way that the prices could compete with the Big Boys. One solution was to offer a resin basic truck with perhaps a different body that could be used. I gather that resin will lend itself to being modified.

I have seen 1/35th models next to 1/32nd soldiers and they look very odd...the other way round would be better but with models in 1/35th you have mismatch.

Yes, I have written the book, plus magazine articles recently and am very busy on other projects. All in the same vein BUT I am not involved with the models per se, as Nick is dealing with them. He is a serious collector of rare Dinky etc. military models.

Nick West is on enquiries@battlezone.org.uk

and the website is http://www.battlezone.org.uk

I am hoping that the first book in the CMP series will be out shortly, after a brochure has been produced and printed.
Old 24-01-04, 02:33
Graeme Jamieson

Default different sort of model

Heres a different model I got off E-Pay awhile ago. Its paper and you cut it out and glue it together.
Its the only Chev I have that I will never have to work on with the gas axe.
Attached Images

Old 25-01-04, 10:33
Cliff Hutchings

Default resin 1/35 CMP

Hi Folks I am presently doing masters for a F60L 12 cab GS CMP. once this is done plans are afoot for several different body type / wheelbases based on this initial kit.

be ready a little later in the year but I am expecting the first 2 cab and chasssis from the caster in about a month. I may also look at doing a 13 cab as well which just may be a chev.

Can anyone tell me if the GMC motor (duece and a half) is externaly the same as the CMP chev motor please.
Old 25-01-04, 16:40
Dog Robber

David & others:

I realize I am still not responding to your 1/32 requests but here are a few more "goodies".

I have sitting on my desk now 3 1/35 resin kits from the company Roy Models of Belgium

Dodge D8A with GS Body
Dodge D15 with GS Body
Ford WOA 2A with Personnel Body

They are of good quality if rather spartan in details. Suspension etc. is moulded in, there is no motor detail but the rest is doable and a little scratch building/modding would give you a very nice model of any of them.

I also have a Horch and Opel sedan from them.

I have not seen any product for sale for about 2 years but here is the contact info included with the kits.

Roy Models D' Office bvba
Karel Meyvisstraat 44
2660 Antwerpen Belgium
email: VPBELGIUM@PANDORA.BE

The instructions further state that the models were built by Wespe models for this company. I seem to think Wespe is still around somewhere. The initials VP may indicate some connection with Verlinden Productions which is a company we are all familiar with.

As you know, I am "in the business" and I have to tell you that you can find more 1/32/54mm figures than you can build in a lifetime but maybe a half dozen vehicles in that scale. I still have a few Airfix in my personal stash but they are British vehicles, no CMP.

Finally, and I am forced to do this often, the difference between 1/35 and 1/32 is only about 9.5%. If you place your figures strategically (not too close) you will find you can get away with a lot.

Bill
Old 26-01-04, 00:07
Dog Robber

Default Further to above

This may be a wild goose chase, but anyway.

Go to www.wespemodels.ro

I could not get anything on when the site was last updated but if the stuff is available, it will break all of our hobby banks if you are into modelling. Probably 200+ models in scales from 1/87 to 1/12 which include literally dozens of vehicles I see on this site in terms of some sort of interest. Expensive, yes, but very rare stuff.

One bummer is that I emailed the principal and it came back no longer on line at that address. I have some contacts in Romania so I will pursue it. I did offer to put up a letter of credit for a fair amount of money if they could provide the stuff that was on their website.

Please let me know what you think.

Bill
Old 26-01-04, 17:56

Bill,

Roy Models doesn't exist anymore. A friend of mine built a master for them and he used to cast some of their production. But since a year or two they seized to exist.
Wespe models now offer the whole line of Roy models. It is not clear if Wespe models was the initial owner of the masters of Roy or that they just copy the Roy Models kits.

Bill, I have got the same three kits that you mention. The Dodge D15 is nearly completed now. It needed some work.

Alex
Old 26-01-04, 19:14
Dog Robber

Afternoon Alex:

I suspected that Roy was gone. Since the instruction sheet said that Wespe provided the models to Roy, my guess is that they always came from Wespe.

The kits certainly take a bit of finishing work but compared to a lot of what I see in my store from the US and other Eastern European countries it is not all that bad. Western European resin kits on the other hand are almost all pretty good. And, of course, the metal kits from the UK.

In any case, it is not likely that the mass manufacturers are going to be doing new/different versions of WWII type materiel, particularly softskin materiel, anytime in the near future. So, resin kits/conversion kits and white metal kits are pretty much the way we will have to go.

Bill