MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 08-05-09, 14:53
British Indian Army

Default Early CMP Backbody help

As you may know I have a couple of LAAT backbodies. Now one is in particularly poor condition with most tin work away. However the structure would seem usable. My question is, was there an early backbody that incorporated timber for the CMP that I can use with the structure from the old body? Or was the LAAT body a one of a kind? Somewhere at the back of my now distant grey matter I seem to remember one. Help please. And no I don't think it is feasible to reclad the body, not for me anyway. Will swap it for a timber back body though!

Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 08-05-09, 23:08

Default LAAT body

Hi Nigel
My LAAT truck body is all steel, It Appears to be a collection of pre-formed sections, Side Panels and locker boxes all being interlocked/ spot welded together, A bit like a car Body shell. The main structure has steel channel cross members at regular intervals welded to the 2 main longitudinals that sit onto the top of the chassis.
To re fabricate a new body would be an extremley long drawn out process.
On the plus side most panels are FLAT, All bends are at 90 Degrees.
You would need access to
Covered work area to place old Truck body on the floor so that you can make easy cross checks as you proceed.
space to build new one alongside. maybe on a DUMMY chassis frame made from two RSJ beams set level to ensure that the new body is level and true. Better than the truck chassis as there are no wheels axles drive train or petrol pipes to avoid. Lots of Commercial bodies are built on the floor so to speak
A folding press break that can handle 2 mm sheet,
A Guillotine to make cutting sheet square with least waste.
Good welding skills I would imagine would be a great help.
IM me if you need any pictures,
The body on my LAAT was built by THE FROST AND WOOD CO LTD.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cmp3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	27572 Name:  FORD F60S PHOTOS 002.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  27.6 KB Name:  FORD F60S PHOTOS 003.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  31.1 KB Name:  FORD F60S PHOTOS 004.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  31.5 KB Name:  FORD F60S PHOTOS 012.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  25.6 KB

Last edited by S LATHERON; 08-05-09 at 23:26. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 09-05-09, 12:30
Alan Bumford

Default LAA's

Hi Nigel
Could we see some pics of your trucks i have a pair of LAA's im trying to get one back on the road, both rear bodies being shot but one is salvageable i hope ! Early F30s were used in the desert i believe i did wonder if my second one a F30 could be stripped off and made to look like one of these type trucks.
Old 10-05-09, 00:24
British Indian Army

Default Back Bod

Hi Alan
This is the picture of the LAAT after it was salvaged. It has now been dismantled, good parts sold/retained and the back body I still have. It has some panels bowed from heat although all structure items seem ok. The other body is much worse. Am hoping to be able to sell/alter this one and wood panel the other one.

Nigel
Attached Thumbnails
CMPLAAT1.jpg  

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 10-05-09, 16:14

Default Back Body

That looks to be a very complete and original Item, It still has the rear seat base for the crew member whose job it was to apply trailer brakes.The brackets for the Scotching plates on the rear body ends and all the tilt frame.
Maybe a good sand blast/media blasting down would reveal all the poor points and Prove if there is enough good steel to "Mig" in new sections.
Is the front floor heavily corroded up by the bulkhead?
Looks still worth saving as it seems to have all the correct locker lids and no doubt the internal storage partitions are still usable.
I know of another In use F60 up in Aberdeenshire area. Send me a private IM and I can provide a number if you need it. He also has dismantled chassis in the past and may be a source of spares. He got an original used Engine cross member for me to replace the " hot axed" remains in my chassis. Post war owners had just chopped it out to fit a 4D diesel.
Stephen
Old 10-05-09, 23:08
British Indian Army

Default The good one

Hi Stephen
This is the good one! It is complete but a fire has bellied some of the panels. Most are ok, just the wheel arches and long locker doors. Front bulkhead is good, nothing seems to be rusted through. But I can't fix the bellied panels etc. Thanks for offer of guys number in north, know who you mean.

Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 14-02-10, 14:55
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Watson View Post
My question is, was there an early backbody that incorporated timber for the CMP that I can use with the structure from the old body?
Nigel,

Not sure if you are still looking for info on wooden bodies. Cannot think of a suitable composite steel/wooden body for you to copy, but in India and most likely other countries where (semi-)knocked down CMP chassis/cabs were assembled, various types of wooden bodies were manufactured. See this thread for a picture of a Ford F60L Cab 12 with a wooden body somewhere in North Africa:

HTH,
Hanno

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 21-10-13 at 12:29. Reason: fixed links
Old 14-02-10, 19:03

Nigel, I have had bellied panels on several vehicles shrunk back by a panel beater guy here in Poole. He uses a gas welding torch and hammer and dolly.
I have helped him do it on numerous occasions by wielding the torch. There must be similar skills oop there moon. Ron