MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 29-01-05, 14:45
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default The Surabaya Tankette

Please take a look at this Universal Carrier based Japanese light tank and help identify it:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/threa...eid=1107005986
Kind regards,
Nuyt
Overvalwagens!
Old 29-01-05, 15:26
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Not Australian

It's not based on an Australian LP1, as these have a much steeper angled glacis plate that covers the steering levers. Aust LP2's are welded construction and don't feature the horizontal angle iron across the glacis. The large headlight looks pre-war british, but I can't ID it any better than that.
Old 29-01-05, 22:43

Think the other picture you refer to is to be found in 'Making Tracks' British Carrier Story 1914 to 1972' on page 63.

'One or two of these are known to have been converted to rudimentary light tanks by plating over the superstructure. A crude turret was built centrally towards the rear with a hinged raised cupola and a machine gun. Driver and front gunner occupied their usual positions. These vehicles were used in action.'

The image would appear to be of the same converted British style carrier. This time with a soldier standing guard over it.

Written on the side in large letters is T K R L. Turret has ( I think) L A O E T in hand writing that is similar to that on the side.
Old 30-01-05, 11:32
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default Thanks gentlemen!

For the info. I have updated the Overvalwagen Forum
Kind regards,
Nuyt
Old 30-01-05, 12:16
RIP

Default Tankette

Hi Nuyt
Firstly I have enhance the image for easier viewing. It's definitely Carrier and I think possibly British. I have some images of British 3" Mortar Carriers, see next post, and the front looks similar.
Bob
Attached Images

Old 30-01-05, 12:20
RIP

Default British 3" Mortar Carrier

How about this one?
Bob
Attached Images

Old 30-01-05, 13:46
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Mortar or Bren Carrier?

I think Bob is correct in that it is more likely to have been a Mortar carrier than Bren carrier. The Surabaya tankette appears to have no storage boxes over the rear axle. The Mortar Carrier, while based on a Bren, has no boxes here either, the space being used to stow the 3" mortar and baseplate.
Attached Images

Old 30-01-05, 13:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I doubt the Japanese (or Indonesian Nationalists?) would have gone to the trouble of REMOVING storage boxes from a Bren Carrier, when there's so little to start with!
Attached Images

Old 30-01-05, 14:26
Overvalwagen-o-logist

Default great step

Thanks both of you. This is significant info, since in may narrow down the locations of capturing such a vehicle. Where did Britain send these mortar carriers? Malaya, Singapore?
Thanks and kind regards,
Nuyt
Old 12-10-06, 15:44
Derek Heuring

Default Re: The Surabaya Tankette

Quote:
Originally posted by ericnuyt
Please take a look at this Universal Carrier based Japanese light tank and help identify it:
There is an M.V. collector in Texas who has converted a U.C. to a Japanese light tank. It was at the 60th anniversary of Iwo Jima event which was held in Fredericksburg, Texas which is the birthplace of Admiral Nimitz and where the museum of the Pacific is located. The event attracted over 50 real Japanese reenactors and drew well over 10,000 spectators! The batteries unfortunately died in my camera before I could get more pics of the tankette, here is the my sole shot of the vehicle behind some of the Japanese reenactors.

CHIMO!
Attached Thumbnails
jap tank2.jpg  
Old 12-10-06, 22:00
Matt

Just out of interest, how are Japanese reenactors treated in the US? I've only seen a couple here in the UK, and they are not very popular amongst many (paticularly elderly, and/or military personel).
Old 13-10-06, 07:32
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by dougiebarder
Just out of interest, how are Japanese reenactors treated in the US? I've only seen a couple here in the UK, and they are not very popular amongst many (paticularly elderly, and/or military personel).
They were very well treated. In fact, I was surprised how well they were treated in light of the fact that the IJA were just as bloodthirsty a bunch of murderers as the SS. As a Canadian, I'll never forget how our boys were treated after the fall of Hong Kong. But, I guess it's in everyone's culture to be a good host to guests, whether in your home or your country. I served alongside the Japanese Contingent as part of UNDOF and at first I was a little stand-offish to the Japanese, but when my business took me into their HQ I was soon won over by their graciousness, and having no personal grudge against them, I soon became very good friends with many of them.
There is a tradition of genteelness in the South, something which I have experienced many times. I don't think one truly knows America until you have lived in the South for a while. The Japanese reenactors got to experience this first hand.
I think, however, the warrior spirit and code of Bushido lurks very near to a Japanese soldier's spirit. The Japanese at Fredericksburg were very friendly and open at the reception but when they donned their uniforms and prepared for the battle, their demeanor markedly changed. They became quiet and very intense as they "got into character" It was an interesting transformation. I've included a pic of all the Japanese reenactors at this event.

CHIMO!
Attached Thumbnails
jap tank1.jpg  
Old 13-10-06, 09:05
Bluebell

Default Tony

Why doyou say the mortar carrier is based on a bren? its a universal

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....