MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 03-05-06, 19:17
Frank Robertson

Default WW2 Book by Autocar on Halftracks

I came across and purchased a book published in 1942 by Autocar on the Halftracks they built called 'Mechanized Mules of Victory', about 10 pages long. It is just a look what we did book.

BUT it has some interesting photos in it, that if they were not just totally staged photos, these photos will change some things we have always felt were correct on a restoration.

Go to my webpage

www.junk-halftracks.com

Go to the left hand side and click "WW2 Autocar Book" tab and check it out. Click on the photos to get a larger photo, then after the photo displays, Move the pointer off the photo, then put your pointer in the lower right corner, you'll get a arrow that will enlarge the photos where you can see some details.

Tell me what you think.....
Old 04-05-06, 10:31
MLU Administrator

Default Re: WW2 Book by Autocar on Halftracks

Quote:
Originally posted by tankdriver
BUT it has some interesting photos in it, that if they were not just totally staged photos, these photos will change some things we have always felt were correct on a restoration.
Frank, interesting book! Thanks for sharing it with us.

What I think? Personally, I am not surprised by the pictures of a guy painting the frame after everything is installed and the screws slots are not lined up vertically. This is consistent practice shown in other wartime assembly pictures. Of course today, when spending huge amounts of time & money on restoring a historic military vehicle, a restorer takes pride in properly painting every bracket to ensure it will never rust again and fit all parts perfectly lined up. This results in vehicles being restored to "better than factory" condition. Which is all very fine, but we need to remember that 65 years ago there was a war going on and there was no time to build a truck as perfectly as we do it today. For example, my Ford F15A has it's original cargo bed, which one can instantly recognise by the rough welding and welding splatter. Guys I know who have reproduced these type of bodies in reality spend too much time dressing up the welds. But, when spending huge amounts of time & money ... you get my drift (worth a mere €0,02) ...

H.
Old 04-05-06, 14:48
Frank Robertson

You are totally correct. If I remember correctly, the average life expectancy of a military vehicle was 6 weeks. Like you I have seen guys spend so much time grinding, and smoothing welds, that they no longer even look like a military vehicle.