MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-05-05, 16:13
Vets Dottir

Default Year of the Veteran

Hello Everyone,

Well ... I figure it's about time I started this "Year of the Veteran" thread ... it would be really nice to hear what other things people are doing across the country, or world, in honour of our VETS ... (although as far as I'm concerned, EVERY YEAR is the Year of the Veteran ... because of the importance to all of us for what they accomplished for so many EVERY DAY... now. Our VETS need honour and respect, and assistance EVERY DAY.)

Below, a story about what one woman is doing ... and she didn't wait until this years' official "Year of the Veteran" to begin ... Veterans Day is every day to her too ...

Karmen

Quote:
Nurse cycling for veterans

By Kevin Connor, Toronto Sun

A LOCAL nurse is bicycling across the United States to raise money to honour Toronto veterans.

"My goal is to raise $15,000 and complete 3,795 miles (6,072 km) in recognition of our veterans," said Sandi Beach, a nurse at Sunnybrook and Women's College Health Sciences Centre in the Aging and Veterans Care program.

"Everyday, I feel fortunate to work in an environment with very special people. I want to give back to the veterans who have given so much to our country."

The cross-country cycle -- to celebrate the Year of the Veteran -- will begin in San Francisco on June 4 and end in Portsmouth, N.H. on July 26.

Beach will cycle about 130 km each day for 53 days.

Money raised will support the Aging and Veterans Care program. In 1998, Beach cycled across Canada, raising $10,000 for the palliative care program at the hospital.
Old 13-05-05, 16:27
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Year of the Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hello Everyone,

Well ... I figure it's about time I started this "Year of the Veteran" thread ... it would be really nice to hear what other things people are doing across the country, or world, in honour of our VETS ... (although as far as I'm concerned, EVERY YEAR is the Year of the Veteran ... because of the importance to all of us for what they accomplished for so many EVERY DAY... now. Our VETS need honour and respect, and assistance EVERY DAY.)

Below, a story about what one woman is doing ... and she didn't wait until this years' official "Year of the Veteran" to begin ... Veterans Day is every day to her too ...

Karmen
That is what I call "Peddling your ass(ets)" for a damned good cause..
Hope she obeys this sign....
http://www.funnyclicks.com/pictures1...ietfietsen.jpg
Old 13-05-05, 16:35
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Re: Year of the Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
That is what I call "Peddling your ass(ets)" for a damned good cause..
http://www.funnyclicks.com/pictures1...ietfietsen.jpg
Should read..
Hope she dosen't obey this sign....
(She would have a mighty rough ride)
Old 13-05-05, 17:04
Vets Dottir

Default Stairs ...

Hey ... what you talking about Alex? It's GREAT fun riding a bicycle down stairs ... IF ... there aren't too many If someone would donate a dollar amount for each stair accomplished, and others meet that, then hey ... Peddling for VETS could really become a "good cause" by paying for something our Vets need. I like the idea

Start with activist groups donating in gratitude for their rights to freedom of speech and all that, that our Vets fought for for them to be able to spout off :

I wish they'd notice that their security, rights and freedoms were bought or preserved by soldiers ... hmmmm