Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 12-06-09, 13:50

Default Be Safe

HI,
Last sunday i was cleaning my garage and a chevy transmition fell on my feet
Now i have a feet broken and can't work on my projet for a month
Like a Old man from the forum said(Bob)
Please don't take short cuts when working with the heavy parts of the CMP...... torches, welders, heavy lifting of parts can really hurt you... get help or proper equipment....life is too short to get hurt.
And Bob
No i was not wearing safety boots.....??
So wear it

Last edited by NORTH-SHORE(CANADA); 12-06-09 at 19:26.
Old 12-06-09, 18:58
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Ouch!

Sorry to hear that.

But thanks for posting this as a reminder.

Hope you recover soon!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 13-06-09, 01:18
WO8 C15A 142736

Ouch indeed, did you learn any new dance steps?
I am sorry to hear of your pain I broke a finger once and had to take three months off work it is verry frustrating.
Steel cap boots are a great help I've wearing them for years because I used to drive a semi between mills and it was manditory foot wear and I got used to them. They have their limitations though a bloke I know saw a winch rope climing over the side of the drum and kicked it back down, the rope caught the boot and crushed the cap removeing part of his toe, he then had to learn how to balance again to walk properly.
Old 13-06-09, 04:13
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) View Post
HI,
Last sunday i was cleaning my garage and a chevy transmition fell on my feet
Now i have a feet broken and can't work on my projet for a month
That's nothing: Last Saturday evening I was driving back from my favorite surplus junkyard, and got hit by a VIA passenger train doing 90. Destroyed my car, but I walked away from it.
Old 13-06-09, 10:06
Richard Harrison

be carefull out there folks, this must be a standard issue thread to every forum i have been on, popular ones being loss of hands / fingers, and injuries to eyes. i was grinding some body work on an old 64 Austin Mini, had my sunglasses on still managed to get a shard of steel right into my eye had to get it removed and try and drive home partially blind.....never much fun.

for what the safety kit costs....use it folks.....or lose it make your choice

mind this kit would have done you no good Rob hahahahhha what happened did you try and beat it at a crossing or something ?

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 13-06-09, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpearce View Post
Ouch indeed, did you learn any new dance steps?
Hi,
no the transmission juste fall on the side i was cleaning but she was to heavy and to broke my foot
Old 13-06-09, 13:24

Sorry to hear about the broken foot. There are a lot of bones in your feet and sometimes healing a broken one can be an issue. Be sure to take it easy.
Do as the doctor says.

Rob, that is unbelievable about the Via. Not to hijack this thread, but lets hear the story and I am sure you have photos.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 18-06-09, 17:59

Default what happened...?

rob

what the H#$@ were you doing driving on the Via track.......

You are one lucky fella....... I mean lucky you were not driving a CMP at the time.....

Did you make the Shilo headlines.......??

Remember a posting with out pictures is not a posting.....

Doubt anybody can match you misfortune..!!

Booob
Canada
Old 18-06-09, 22:07
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default You're famous..at least ON MLU...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
That's nothing: Last Saturday evening I was driving back from my favorite surplus junkyard, and got hit by a VIA passenger train doing 90. Destroyed my car, but I walked away from it.

Rob
'This has to be you....

Driver escapes injury when his car collides with train

By: Staff Writer

7/06/2009 9:05 AM | Comments: 0

* Print
* E–mail
* Share This

A 47-year-old man escaped injury when his car was in collision with a passenger train near Portage la Prairie Saturday night, RCMP said.

The collision between the car and the five-car passenger train occurred at a crossing on Highway 242, about five miles north of Highway 1, around 6:30 p.m.

The driver, the only occupant of the car, was able to get out of the vehicle on his own.

There were no injuries to passengers or crew from the train.

A 47-year-old man was charged with fail to obey rail crossing sign under the Highway Traffic Act.
Old 18-06-09, 22:25

Default This goes under why you don’t do this

Don’t think I’ve posted this before, though I think I have told some of you.

The picture below shows what happens when you use a wire brush in an air grinder. The little wire was fired in to my finger with out even being felt until several hours later when the finger started to swell. Three trips to the emergency room that weekend to have them shot antibiotics in my tail followed once the infection was killed off by surgery to remove the wire from the finger.

Worked out the speed that the wire could have been traveling something near 350 feet per sec.

Obviously I should have known better.
Attached Thumbnails
Finger and grinder.JPG  
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 19-06-09, 03:55
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Rob
'This has to be you....

Yes, that was (and luckily still is) me. I looked to the right and there was a locomotive heading down the tracks. It was cloudy out, the short train was mostly silver, and somehow it had not caught my attention until then. I locked on my brakes but was pretty sure I was either going to stop on the tracks or else hit the side of the train. So I gunned it and hoped for the best. Here was the result:

You can see where my car caught air and bent the bottom corner of the train crossing sign. Not sure where the ride went from there, I think I may have spun in the air once before the car hit the ground and headed down the ditch. I was quite happy to walk away from the car, and noticed my tools laying all over the road. I picked them all up and brought them near the car. Some ladies pulled up and I wanted them to just call the RCMP and not 911, since it was not an emergency in my books. I went to meet the train crew who were relieved that it was not a fatality. I then went and disconnected the negative terminal on my battery, knowing the rescue guys would cut them. The first volunteer fireman showed up and wanted me to sit and he would hold my neck in case of spinal injury. I did not want to, since I thought it was pointless at that time, but he seemed like a nice fellow so I did. When the ambulance showed up they were going to put on a neck brace and put me on a board. I told them they were blowing this way out of proportion, and if they insisted I would refuse treatment. So they gave me a quick checkout in the amb and released me. During this time one of the fireman snuck down and cut the positive battery cable, for what reason I do not know.

A policemen from CNR had driven out all the way from Winnipeg and was also relieved it was not another fatality. He had been to 59 fatality's in the 10 years he had worked there. He was actually quite a nice guy, but had to do his job and wrote me a ticket. He also said to me that he felt I made the right decision since I was still alive.

I had called my friend Dirk who was heading to Wpg and he came and got me and drove me home. Before leaving, he held the cables onto the battery and I recovered my Johny Cash CD from the player. I also had called my wife to tell her that I was fine but that the car had been written off by a train.

By the time I got home I was stiff to the point of not being able to get out of the truck. Chest strain from the seat belt, a twisted ankle, and for most of the week, a very stiff neck. But not a scratch on me.

I'll miss that car, it was a 2007 Honda Accord EXL with navigation system. But it is just a car, and I have more. Unfortunately my clean driving abstract will go down the toilet.

I apologized to the train crew for putting them through that, especially the two guys in the locomotive. I also felt bad for the passengers: they were still there 2 hours later when I left. I think they were removing some part of my car from the front of the train.

Funny thing is, I wasn't in a hurry, wasn't speeding, just for some reason I did not see the train. I guess when it is your time, it's your time. I looked at the ditches after the crash, and had I gone into the right one, I would have struck a solid cement culvert. The left side may have worked out better, but it was pretty steep, and there were railway ties there. Anyway, I made a decision, and I'm still here. A little sore still, but getting better every day.

Am I more aware of railway crossings now? You want to believe it.

Last edited by rob love; 19-06-09 at 04:17.
Old 19-06-09, 06:48

Default Train awareness

I'm glad you survived Rob, many don't. My union participates in a lot of awareness campaigns but sadly nearly every day some where in Canada someone is struck and killed by a train. Sadly the 19 year old son of one of our western Command members was killed only last december by a passenger train while out on his mountain Bike.
Be careful, we all take some risks but lets think of the consequences.
Dieing is only one outcome, there is worse.
Old 19-06-09, 11:19
Alex McDougall

Default Consider the consequences..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
I'm glad you survived Rob, many don't.

Be careful, we all take some risks but lets think of the consequences.
Hi Rob,

Even though you're on the other side of the world and we've never met - I'm glad you've come out of it reasonably well.

Maybe the Firey chopped your +ve lead so you couldn't try and drive home..?

And Eric, Phil and Harry, Yep I hear ya. I had a 9 inch anglegrinder bounce off my jawbone 20 years ago and some people call me Magneto cos if it's metal and flying it usually gets me! (And cos I attract rusty metal ).
I stopped and reconsidered my situation with that grinder before I began, and it still got me. Improper use of tools is what it boiled down to. Also I can't believe how many people don't wear eye protection, or even dust masks - the latter even when wirebrushing or grinding.

Be Safe and Live Long (to enjoy this hobby. Or should that read 'to suffer' from it? Maybe - but not for the reasons we're discussing here.)

Regards

Alex
Old 19-06-09, 12:09
WO8 C15A 142736

Phil when I broke my finger I had metal added between two nuckles I gained three pieces of metal and six screws. I still have a finger but the metal shore gets cold in winter
Attached Thumbnails
P6190163 (Small).JPG  

Last edited by hrpearce; 19-06-09 at 12:24. Reason: forgot photo
Old 19-06-09, 12:12

Hi,
Wow i won't complaint about my foot your a luky guy after this did you went and buy a 6/49
Old 19-06-09, 14:17
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Moon View Post
That thought crossed my mind afterward. But it is what it is and I am still here, and not much worse for wear. A little wiser mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTH-SHORE(CANADA) View Post
Hi,
your a luky guy after this did you went and buy a 6/49
Nope, I am pretty sure I used all my luck that day.

The train sliced through the trunk. But since I was moving forward, it actually left the left taillight undamaged. The rear window was blown out. My wallet was actually thrown from my top pocket into the back seat.

The only thing I bought from the salvage yard that day was a 8X10" piece of tin for my 5/4 ton. We found that about 75 feet down the ditch. I also had a hammer in the tool bag. I suspect the momentum must have been higher on that item as we never did find it.

Both side airbags deployed, along with a little airbag in my seat. I don't think I contacted with them, as I was pushed in to the middle of the car by the spinning momentum. The center console was pushed over on it's mounts.
Old 22-06-09, 23:22
Terry Warner

Default Accidents and staying safe

North Shore - ouch!

Rob - phew!

Although I have not yet been injured working on my Jeep, I can attest to the strange forces during car accidents. After a drunken high-flying trip off a T-intersection into the pucker brush ... I found my glasses up underneith the pedals. Uninjured except for my wallet, which got lightened expeditiously.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 23-06-09, 00:55
Addicted to Drab

Default When Your Number is Up....

Hey Rob,

I just checked with the Advocate.....your number is 17689342097465134....there was a typo.....so your still here!

All the best...

Mike in Windsor
Old 23-06-09, 14:04
Greg Wright

Default Train Accidents

Hi Rob,

Glad to hear you survived the train. I have been a fire fighter for 25 years as a volunteer and full time. I have been to hundreds of car accidents and only a few involving a train. I have yet to see somebody beat the train and survive. You have an angel watching over you.
As for cutting the battery cables, in the Ottawa are we usually loosen the bolt and take them off properly unless the car is right off.

Stay safe.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 27-06-09, 22:24
Robert

While I don't have any military vehicles to work on, I do work on a lot of rusty old stuff at times. A North full face mask with screw on HEPA/vapour filters is a must have. Protects the eyes and face, and neck to some extent when you're looking downwards, while keeping the nasty particulates and vapors out. Putting on separate face mask and eye protection is a nuisance, but the North mask with ear defenders or plugs can be taken on and off in a moment. Heavy welders type gloves are a must have with rotary wire brushes, which I use a lot. A leather apron is a good idea too. At 9000 rpm those wires will go through a pair of Carhartt double thickness dungarees at times.

The "zip disks" or 1/16 cutting discs are another favorite tool and they can kill if they break in use. Someone had his femoral artery cut by one a year or two back and bled to death. A leather apron would have prevented that. It's a good idea to keep your head and shoulders, and preferably you whole body, out of the "plane of rotation", because if they break that is the direction in which the pieces are going to fly out.

The neck is an area that doesn't get enough consideration. One of those wires from a rotary brush could easily penetrate an artery in the neck if it hit the right point. That's why I like to keep my head down when using them.

At least have an old furnace fan going to blow the dust away if no mask, or just do like the old fellows did, and hold your breath! That's all pretty obvious
stuff, but we all forget at times and it took me some years to learn the hard way.

Wise to get a Tetanus shot too. The disease is still about 50% fatal if I remember correctly.
Old 28-06-09, 01:26
MUTT Guy

Rob, wow!!

Man, just goes to show that a guy can put in an overseas deployment, and come home only to nearly be killed by a train. Wow....

Glad to hear you walked away from it.

Sheesh

Scotty
Old 28-06-09, 04:44
Andrew

I think we have all had a close call at one time or another
Some a bit closer than others though and it generally only takes a split second of lack of concentration or common sense
Very close call Rob
This is one of my closer calls .How to shorten a finger by 5/16 inch
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP2483.jpg  

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"