MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Parts/Sources/Prices

Notices

Old 11-10-16, 00:48

Default Chevrolet transmission bearing numbers

Can anybody give me modern bearing numbers for the Chev trany?
Not all my bearings have numbers so your current numbers would really help!! B.P.
Old 11-10-16, 14:52

Default Do you have the original bearings?

Hi Bob

Do you have the original bearings to check against? Last time I needed bearings for the transmission all the big bearings had numbers on them that did cross over directly to current bearings. Only acception I remember is the pilot bearing (cage) on the main shaft.

If not, will look through my transmission overhaul pictures to see if I can get the numbers for all the main bearing from the photos.

Will take a look at my old civilian chevy parts book to see if it gives chevy parts number or New Departure numbers.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 11-10-16, 15:37
MLU Administrator

Bob,

If you have a designation, or even only dimensions, you can go to http://webtools3.skf.com/BearingCalc...Product.action and insert dimensions and bearing type to come up with an SKF part number. This can be used to cross reference to the manufacturer of your choice.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 12-10-16, 00:25

Default Now I see the problem

Hi Bob

Now I think I see where your question is coming from, two of the major sources of Chevy Parts like transmission parts have gone away, my old source for all this kind of stuff has been sold (Obsolete Chevrolet, Nashville, GA) and the company that I thought had bought them which I believe also bought MACs did not retain the old part numbers.

I have found all of the bearing numbers in the 1938-1951 Canadian Chevrolet Mapleleaf Trucksand it can post the part numbers but the are the chevy proprietary numbers not the New Departure, Hyatt numbers.

Then spent a hour for the fun of it trying to find any of those parts at the different Chevy parts sources. No luck.

Really glad that three years ago when I broke a 3rd gear tooth, found a NOS complete transmission and then found a new 3rd gear and rebuilt the other transmission and put it on the shelf. Now I've got a spare if any of my trucks has a problem because finding parts has gotten a lot harder in just a couple of years.

As has been suggested by Hanno if you have old bearing you can work through the dimensions.

In the past I have found companies like https://www.motionindustries.com/pro...alogSearch.jsp had easy to use cross reference systems which I have not been able to find on their site right now.

Here are some numbers to start with though

Lower shaft front Hyatt C-1206, rear Hyatt C-1207
Pilot Bearing L&S 93424
Main Shaft rear New Departure 3307

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 12-10-16, 01:37
carrier mech

I'm not a chevy man, but I'll take a run at some of the bearings. NAPA prolink will convert most of the old GM numbers to modern bearing numbers. For instance:

4.355 Bearing, clutch gear pn 903209 = 6209J
4.408 Bearing transmission rear pn 901307 = 307J
4.422 Bearing countershaft front pn 142260 = M1206UV
4.422 Bearing countershaft rear pn 121856 = M1207TV

The last part numbers I gave are the common modern number, and if you check on ebay you should find them at reasonable prices.
Old 12-10-16, 02:59

Default Lost my Bearings......

Hi Bob

Just found you PM.

On all the bearings for my cab 11...... the original part numbers and modern equivalent were only used to confirm we had the right ones after we ordered by size alone.

I made use of Industrial Solutions on Ottawa but understand that GBS, General Bearing Services, work on the same basis. Bring the parts in and the measure the ID...OD...thickness and use a modern search engine to identify the makers and where they are in stock.....location can affect the price with shipping.

Of all the bearings on my cab 11 the only one that was and is still a problem to locate is the bottom rear most bearing C 1207....... fortunately it is located low in the gear box and usually swims in oil and most are still good. It seems that there are few if any modern equivlent that will match the ID and OD.

Note that on some modern bearings they have a sealed neoprene facing ....some on one face some on both....... depending on the location they can be made/modified to suit the gear box location by carefully cutting the neoprene seal on the face of the bearing that is facing to the inside and let the gear oil run into the bearing race.

One more caution on the gear box rebuild...... on the back side.... where the output yoke is located..... the original oil seals have a sheet metal washer design like mikey mouse ears.... so the bolts actually go through the seal edge....... as far as I know the original desing is NO longer made but if you carefully dismantle the used original seal you can salvage the sheet metal that will hold the new seal in place. Use lock tite on these bolts so they will not back off and be sheared off by the rotating Yoke....... Similarly when installing the U-Joint to the Yoke use self locking nuts and lock tite to make sure the yoke bolts will not work loose and shear the rear cover off the tranny.

Lock tite can be easily overcomed with a small propane torch or an electric paint stripper gun if open flame is not your favorite trick.

Bob...input shaft is on the way.....with the bearing.

Been slowed down with a broken ankle which has finally healed well but left me with a hip bursitis...... bitch!!!!!

Just call me Hoop a long...........
Canada

Last edited by Bob Carriere; 12-10-16 at 03:22.
Old 12-10-16, 03:17

Default Transmission Bearings

Many thanks to all leads and advice re trany bearings and overhaul.
I had hoped to purchase bearings on mass with current part numbers but that may not be possible. The caged bearing between top shafts is now discontinued though I have a great local parts store who are trying to source it. I have now had 4 transmissions apart to try and get good, still in the oil parts with limited success. Thirty years ago good used transmissions and engines were plentiful - not so much anymore. So Bob I eagerly await the input shaft- sorry to hear yer busted up!
Last question does anyone have an opinion oin whether the inside of the case should be recovered in the primer coloured oil resistant paint ( is it lead-oxide type paint?) or is that not necessary??
Thanks...B.P.
Old 12-10-16, 03:18
carrier mech

Bob

If you are talking about the rear countershaft bearing, the part number I list above is readily available and reasonably priced. Plenty on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/p/m1207tv-linkbe...ing/1801793647

Of course, you will want to confirm the dimensions before ordering.
Old 12-10-16, 03:22
carrier mech

I believe the red paint found inside gearboxes was glyptol, used to seal porous castings. If the case was boiled clean, no reason POR-15 wouldn't work.
Old 12-10-16, 03:25

Default trany bearings

Special thanks to Rob...as a dedicated Ford man I appreciate your input re Chevy parts!!!! Will post numbers for any parts I can purchase...B.P.
Old 12-10-16, 03:28

Default Looled at before.....

I don't think that 1207 bearing will fit.....

The GM tranny bearing as SOLID STEEL ( bearing race) insert that slipsover the countershaft..... and is not included...... when I sourced the same bearing in Ottawa the insert from the old bearing was a few mil to big or too small and would not fit the counter shaft.

If this is an issue I will go back to my parts box and measure in mil. for accurate slack........ I still think it not readily avaialble in North America.... nbow in Europe I believe Alex or someone else fround a suitable replacement.

Cheers

PS......Will look for pictures of original bearing in my files.
Canada
Old 12-10-16, 04:01
carrier mech

Bob: I am always up for a part number challenge. We'll see how Bob P does in his quest, and if it doesn't work out, then we'll go the measurement route.

For some reason though, I think we went this route on the forum a couple years ago. Was it for this bearing?

The GM part number shows on this list of cross reference as well, which has a hundred numbers for that bearing: https://mibearings.com/index.php?mai...ucts_id=281388

And of course, keeping an eye on ebay, or searching google for the Chevy part number should also get you there.
Old 12-10-16, 05:40

Default trany bearings

I searched the MLU postings for bearing data and was able to find reference to the caged pilot bushing only. While the number crosses with a couple of different suppliers it is officially discontinued. I am sure there are some out there yet as, so far I have had no great difficulty in getting all brake parts, seals etc B,P,
Old 12-10-16, 05:52
carrier mech

Some of the crosses I get for GM141854 are Timken J281248 and Bower possibly Bower 93424

Both are presently on ebay starting at 9.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/J281248-BOWE...4AAOSwpLNX99P0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Bower-Ro...VWDrOm&vxp=mtr

In fact, if you run the 93424 number on ebay you will come up with quite a number of them, including made by Hyatt, who is listed in the GM book as the cross reference.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...ARING&_sacat=0

Last edited by rob love; 13-10-16 at 22:59.
Old 13-10-16, 04:29

Default trany bearings

Hi Rob
Great find , esp as my local jobber says all related interchange numbers are no longer available. Perhaps another alternative would be to use correct length &dia pieces of dowel stock with no cage..my '76 jeep trany was put together in that fashion...wont hear about rest of bearings until next week BP
Old 13-10-16, 06:27
carrier mech

Dowel stock would never last. The little needle bearings found in many transmissions and transfer cases are very hardened. They are also, as far as I know, unique to their applications.
Old 13-10-16, 18:11

Default The challenge is on.....

.... the last set of treads on this C1207 bearing was NEVER resolved to my satisfaction......

I need to search my photo librabry...... but I am stoned on pain killer,,,,,so somehwere before they completely wear off and I take the new batch I will try to find that illusive info.....

From waht I recall the bearing guy telling me is that everyone of the suffix or prefix to a bearing number means something has to how it is constructed or inrtended for.....

For the sake of the hobby we need to sort this one out.

Don't roll away on a loose bearing...... getting a shot of something into my hiop joint tomorrow....so may be much better or much worst.....

cheers

Bob C

a.k.a. the loose bearing guy!!
Canada
Old 13-10-16, 19:30
carrier mech

Bob
The solution is easy....buy Fords. The Ford name is much more popular and the aftermarket caters to either NOS, equivalent, or modern reproduction parts.
Old 13-10-16, 22:06
Bluebell

Phil, Bob, and others. Here are some old numbers : (the ones Phil mentioned in post #4)
1. G.M. bearing # 141854 crosses over to:
Hyatt 93424
RBC RA 143
Bower 28-1248
SKF F93424

2. a 3307 (is a very common bearing found under 6307)
It crosses over to:
Timken BRM 035
Hoffman 335
R&M MJ35
SKF6307
Norma- Hoffman MT307, 307.
MRC 307m,307r, 307s.
New Departure 1305, 3305

3. The Hyatt C1206 crosses over to
Bower s1206
R&M B8372
SKF FC1206 and F-1206-TS

4. The Hyatt C1207 crosses over to;
Hyatt 1207 TS
Bower S-1207
R&M 8371
SKF FC1207, I-130508

These cross references come from a post WWII Australian Army bearing interchange book. If you have a pile of ex Australian bearings with Australian Army part numbers (eg.BG-insert your number-Z) Then I can help I.D. them
The book also lists R.A.O.C. numbers.
Not a modern interchange but another angle.

The following is just some bearing blurb for those who might be interested

Some bearings like the 3307 are very common today (as a 6307) They are available in Std, High load (extra balls- Slot filled) with a single or double tin shield or with single or double rubber seals. There are also variations of these bearings that have a circlip groove.

If you have a ball bearing with 4 digits and it starts with a 6 (eg 6203) it means it is a metric (sized) std. type annular grooved ball bearing. The last 3 digits identify the size.

Some bearings can be sized different from std. This means the inner or outer diameter is less or more than std. to allow for a slide fit assembly, or indeed a looser fit for operation at high temperatures (an example: C3)

Bored yet?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 19-10-16, 04:13

Default transmission bearings

As of today I can get the following bearings from my local jobber;
GM # 903209 crosses to 6209J cost $64 CDN frt mainshaft
GM#901307 crosses to 307J cost $134 cdn rr mainshaft

You might to better to check EBay for NOS bearings at this price
caged pilot bearing 141854 is discontinued
Old 19-10-16, 04:25
carrier mech

I rarely buy from a jobber, or NAPA any more. Rock auto in the US is often my go to, along with summit racing and of course, ebay and amazon.

Just replaced the front rotors on my truck along with all the wheel bearings and new seals (even a spare pair of seals for next year) and spent less than I would have for just one rotor here. I am happy to buy local, but they have to be at least a little competitive.
Old 19-10-16, 12:39

So it looks like NOS varieties of the 6209 bearing are available on EBay for US $10-30 and at Rock Auto for $29.78
Old 20-10-16, 20:56

for the transmission in the C15A, I purchased a transmission overhaul bearing and gasket kit, cost was about $120.00 US from The Filling Station, there on line and you can order thru the net, the only item incorrect was the input shaft bearing or main shaft bearing, I had to call and give them additional info to get the heavy duty bearing, see the picture of the bearing on the right this is the original and is longer than the one on the left that was sent in the bearing kit.
Attached Images

1943 Willys MBT 1/4 Ton Trailer Delivery 4-43
Old 21-10-16, 03:29

Default A Great Tip !!

Thanks for the lead re Chev parts source! The catalog is amazing prices seem very reasonable...B.P.
Old 27-01-17, 23:14

Just a heads up....this guys is selling replacement (needle cage) bearings for the Chev main shaft on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/172104151100?...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ebay object number: 172104151100

I bought one about a week ago and have fitted it to the gearbox in the meantime; will post a picture in the next few days.

Different manufacturers often use the same part number for the same bearing, so it helps googling just the part number without the original manufacturer and adding the word "bearing" or "seal"....and see what comes up. Sometimes this results in replacement bearings available through agricultural suppliers...or ads on Ebay. It's also how I found the ad above.
Google searching will often also give you sites with cross reference lists.

Alex
Old 28-01-17, 09:32
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Different manufacturers often use the same part number for the same bearing, so it helps googling just the part number without the original manufacturer and adding the word "bearing" or "seal"....and see what comes up. Sometimes this results in replacement bearings available through agricultural suppliers...or ads on Ebay. It's also how I found the ad above.
Google searching will often also give you sites with cross reference lists.
Good point Alex, most (of not all) bearing manufacturers follow a Basic bearing designation system.

Cross reference lists and calculators are available - here's one quoted below - to help find the bearing one needs.

Even though a bearing may match the type and basic dimensions, please be aware they are produced in many different qualities. In general the rule of thumb applies: you get what you pay for

HTH,
Hanno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
If you have a designation, or even only dimensions, you can go to http://webtools3.skf.com/BearingCalc...Product.action and insert dimensions and bearing type to come up with an SKF part number. This can be used to cross reference to the manufacturer of your choice.
Old 31-01-17, 22:09

Here is a picture of the replacement I bought from ebay. The top one is the original ( I am trying to show that it has a bit too much play between the parts.....), the lower one is the replacement.

Quote:
Even though a bearing may match the type and basic dimensions, please be aware they are produced in many different qualities
Yes, and also other differences....like the number of balls in the bearing...or the material; I recently bought a replacement seal that was a full rubber part, while the original was steel with leather (or felt....can't remember).

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
SKF.jpg   SKF2.jpg  
Old 01-02-17, 04:59
Bluebell

Alex, it will be the diameter of the rollers that is the important bit.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 06-02-18, 18:23

Just following along and getting some parts ready for rebuilding my C15a transmission.

Is this the correct rebuild bearing and gasket kits?

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....rt~A2~cadefefx

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....rt~A2~cadefefx
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 06-02-18, 20:19

Have you considered taking the old bearings to your local industrial bearing supplier and asking them for a quote? I would do this in Ottawa and expect to see a better price than a restoration supply house and typically either in stock or very quick delivery. Recently I did this for CMP 15 Cwt trailer wheel bearings, the supply house had a variety of suitable bearings at varying prices. They described some of them as more reliable for sustained high speeds and heavy loads than others. Several years ago, I also did this for C15A transmission bearings and all were either stock or next day availability.