MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 17-09-09, 00:16

Default Market Garden! 19 sep, Ginkel Heath

OK guys, only a few days to go to the "big" 65th Anniversary of Market Garden at the Ginkel Heath in Ede. I understand the "drop" will be larger compared to other years. The airborne museum in Oosterbeek has also just re-opened after a thorough renewal of the museum.

We already met 4 Airborne jeeps and an Austin Tilly on the Ferry from Hull, last Sunday. I know Keith Brooker will be there with the Humber; Maurice Donkers will be cruising the carrier. Any other MLU-ers coming?? Hanno? Nigel? Richard?

Alex
Old 17-09-09, 00:23
'40 Ford F8, 4 x 2

Default Parachutists in the 65th Market Garden Anniversary

Two fellow WWII reenactors from Phoenix, Arizona, Tom Salerno and his son, T.J. will be making the drop.

Regards,
Jim Price
Old 17-09-09, 11:54

Default para drop

will not be there this year but Denny Thompson will be there with the AEC Matador and also from Scotland John and Audery Webster with Bedford QL....last time I was there Col from the now disbanded 10 para (TA) said he had seen more paras than had ever been at Arnhem....cheers and regards to all. malcolm
Old 17-09-09, 12:22

@ Jim. They must be onboard the C47 than, I guess? Last year there were three F8's on display on the Ginkel Heath!

@ Malcolm. Pity you can't make it. Good to hear that John Webster will be there! I met John at Beltring a few years ago.

Alex
Old 17-09-09, 13:18

Default para drop

Alex my good friend IVO kUIJKHOVEN AND HIS GROUP WILL BE THERE AS USUAL...THEY PORTRAY 7BN KOSB...WE HAD THEM OVER HERE LAST MONTH AT OUR ANNUAL MINDEN DAY PARADE...GREAT GUYS...CHEERS MALCOLM
Old 20-09-09, 14:45
MLU Administrator

I was there yesterday with one of my sons. Only met Marco and Alex and his friend Tim. Maurice was there with his carrier but I could not meet up with him. At such massive events it is easier to miss each other than to actually meet!

Anyway, it was worth the trouble. The Para dropping was massive and impressive, and there were many interesting vehicles to see - with a good smattering of CMPs to boot! See my Market Garden 2009 G503 album for some pics (more to follow).

Hanno
Attached Thumbnails
P1060616.jpg   P1060624.jpg   P1060694.jpg   P1060724.jpg   P1060683.jpg  

Old 21-09-09, 09:31

No no , I was not there with the Carrier , everybody bailed out of the armoured convoy , just Shaun , made it with his carrier and two dingo`s , the highway trip didn`t happen , So I took the Matador for comfort , we started on the Belgian border with two Matador`s , and we just did what came up . so no Boring Officials talking how good they are, etc etc. just our own thing we did , very good enjoyment.
Euhm I went In the New Airborne Museum ,..... how do other people think about it ? In my oppinion the story is missing now , Children don`t understand how the jeeps got therte , and the link from the building itself with the battle is also not clear anymore for most of the visitor`s , nice theme park now , conversation in the shop was going on about what a waste of space.
Old 22-09-09, 16:36

Yes, it was worth it again. A great number of veterans, nice vehicles, great weather, and most of all....lots and lots of people. Taking pictures of the vehicles without people in front of them was a big task in some cases. People see that you are about to take a picture and than just walk in front of the vehicle for a good look at the dashboard (frankly I think this is getting tougher at every event...and a Dutch commercial comes to mind....."without knowing, we become more anti-social every day"....) Anyway, attached you will find some of the pictures I took.

Maurice, a pity we didn't get to meet up, but just as Hanno says....during these events it is sometimes very hard to "meet" people. I hope we can meetup somewhere else soon and have a chat and look at the canvas.
Keith, I did see your Humber on the route, but didn't have the oppertunity to say hello.....How does the car drive on those Alliance tyres?

Just before we left, we visited a small campsite at the edge of the Rhine, where we found John Webster and his QL. It was great catching up!

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
MLU-1.jpg   MLU-2.jpg   MLU-3.jpg   MLU-4.jpg   MLU-5.jpg  

Old 22-09-09, 16:54

Quote:
Euhm I went In the New Airborne Museum ,..... how do other people think about it ? In my oppinion the story is missing now , Children don`t understand how the jeeps got therte , and the link from the building itself with the battle is also not clear anymore for most of the visitor`s , nice theme park now , conversation in the shop was going on about what a waste of space.
Well, I visited the museum the day after it un-officially re-opened (end of august), and a lot of things weren't finished yet..some rooms were very empty and lighting was very limited in some areas.
It is certainly different from the old museum and I agree that it shows a "theme park" appearance. I quite like the diorama of the landing zone, with Clark dozer and jeep, but the street-scene is indeed much like a theme-park and a little bit too much in my opinion. I guess the scene with Pack and Mortar isn't finished yet as lighting was very bad and there was a real lack of personnel to fire the damn things.
It also made me think of the PC games and I recon that might just be what they were aiming for.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
MLU-6.jpg   MLU-7.jpg   MLU-8.jpg   MLU-9.jpg  
Old 22-09-09, 20:53

Default market garden

years ago whilst on the parade to Eindhoven with Denny Thompson in the much travelled AEC Matador we where flaged down by the Burgomiester...he presented us with a large silver medal each and said he was sick of seeing so many USA jeeps everywhere it was a nice change to see a good old British truck....anyways it very nice to see the good old KOSB still putting in an appearance! regards to all malcolm