Old 22-06-22, 13:25

Default CCKW-353 Road sweeper query

Hi all,
Here is the only picture of a truck fitted with such device I'm aware of:

Name:  cckw.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  36.7 KB
https://i.postimg.cc/CxbP23RM/cckw.jpg

The same picture is published in "Red Ball Express" book by Pat Ware and the caption says "Discarded ration cans became a hazard along the routes, the metal tending to shread tyres, and so a number of 'road sweeper' vehicles were equipped with a beam magnet to clear the surface."
Are there other pictures of trucks fitted with such magnet, not necessary CCKWs? I ask because I want to model this particular Jimmy but there are some details I'm not sure in on this single picture I have. I mean the magnet only, of course, those CCKW are scrutinized long ago.
TIA!

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 26-06-22 at 12:02. Reason: attached photo instead of link
Old 22-06-22, 15:32

Hello Ilian,

Here a photo in France 1944 or 1945, same system but rear monted (I hope they didn't drive in reverse).
Said to be 60v electro-magnet.

Cheers,
Patrice

Click image for larger version

Name:	bZXcV8E.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	603.5 KB
ID:	129199
https://i.imgur.com/bZXcV8E.jpg

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 26-06-22 at 12:00. Reason: attached photo instead of link
Old 22-06-22, 15:53

Default Trailer mounted

The RAAF had a magnetic system mounted in an 8-cwt trailer for sweeping runways.

Mike
Old 24-06-22, 16:08

Thanks for your quick reaction, guys!
If these were used simply to collect metal than I agree. But in general the device was pointless IMHO, for I cannot agree with the caption in the book mentioned above. A tin can cannot be more dangerous for the tyres than non-magnetic broken glass bottle, for example.
Fitted to the rear of a tracked vehicle it sounds more or less reasonable but on a wheeled softskin it is pointless there, IMHO. The same for a trailer.
However, we have what we have, and the model is almost finished already. But I have a difficult times again, as always.
There are some antenna rod-like things with L-shaped bases on the beam ends. I've thought they are width rods but later I've decided thay are too thin for this. My next guess was these are poles for warning flags, like those on snow ploughs. There is something like a white (yellow?) flag on the left one, or this is something on the background? Regretfully the picture quality isn't enough to say for sure.
Any ideas?

TIA!

Name:	CCKW-353-Nailpicker-Red-Ball-express-crop.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	129200
https://i.postimg.cc/NGH8Tx8h/CCKW-3...press-crop.jpg

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 26-06-22 at 12:01. Reason: attached photo instead of link
Old 24-06-22, 16:20

With respect to whether a trailer mounted magnet system might have been used by the RAAF - Air Forces are sensitive to anything that might be sucked into or blown against the airplanes (Foreign Object Damage) so I find it easy to believe that a trailer mounted magnet system would be seen as a quick alternative to the practice of getting everyone out for a "FOD walk" to search for potentially damaging debris.
Old 25-06-22, 22:49

Hi Grant,
You're right about FOD and I agree with you the device makes sense when related to Air Forces, fitted at the front or at the rear of a vehicle. But being stubborn by nature I still cannot agree with that caption.

Meanwhile some results were achieved on the scale battlefield, nothing definitive yet:

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	129202
https://i.postimg.cc/D04tGbz7/P1010001.jpg

I know it isn't 100% detail-true but this is how I see it. And some details look crude but this is the best I was able to do in 1/72 scale.
Thanks again for your answers!

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 26-06-22 at 12:02. Reason: attached photo instead of link