MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 30-01-04, 11:26
former Resident Historian

Default Tyre companies

http://www.rubberstation.com/Mm2(English).htm

is a list of tyre companies that I found, if anyone has the time/inclination to check them. I have also made an enquiry as I cannot believe, in my capacity as a military historian, that the War Office laid down tyre specs and yet now those tyres canot be found or are unsafe, overpriced or wrong tread pattern. I will do all I can to assist here because I used to have business contacts in the dim and distant past.
Old 30-01-04, 11:40

Default 10.50 x 20?

http://www.fate.com.ar/esp/frame.asp...links_prod.asp
Old 30-01-04, 12:06
MLU Administrator

Default Re: 10.50 x 20?

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
http://www.fate.com.ar/esp/frame.asp...links_prod.asp
Thanks David, although I think it is not worthwile shipping 10.50-20 non-directional tread tyres from Argentina, as the 11.00-20 is still a current tyre in the US Army and should be readily available from MV dealers.

More interesting is the 7.50-18" Diseño Militar tyre as many WW2 vehicles, especially German ones, were shod on 18" tyres. The NATO tread was even based on a German WW2 tread. Talk to German MV collectors, they think CMP collectors whine because they can't get the correct tread or think the availble 16" and 20" tyres are "too expensive".

Also, this tyre might be an option for our friends here who own Dingo's. Richard, Nigel, Danny? See the spec sheet here.
Old 30-01-04, 14:32

Default Brit solution?

I am awaiting a reply from the MD of a British based company...they may come up trumps. I hope that the list posted reveals some new names not approached before.
Old 30-01-04, 19:15

Default Any use to anyone?

http://www.titanstore.com/store/military.html
Old 30-01-04, 19:29

Default BF Goodrich mould 9.00 x 16 and 'Unimog' 12.50 x 20

http://www.galaxytire.com/trucks_milita.shtml
Quote:
It was this drive to add value through the creation of new and innovative products that prompted Galaxy to purchase more than 450 agricultural and off-road molds from B.F. Goodrich in 1986. With this step, Galaxy moved from tire distributor to tire manufacturer. The goal was to use these molds to create a line of purpose-built tires that would firmly establish Galaxy as the premier manufacturer of niche market and specialty tires.

In 1993, the Company opened Galaxy Canada, Ltd., in Ontario and Galaxy Europa GmbH in Germany to distribute its products into the Canadian and European markets. Today, Galaxy tires are sold in more than 30 countries worldwide.

Last edited by David_Hayward (RIP); 30-01-04 at 19:34.
Old 30-01-04, 20:28

Default Re: Re: 10.50 x 20?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
More interesting is the 7.50-18" Diseño Militar tyre as many WW2 vehicles, especially German ones, were shod on 18" tyres. The NATO tread was even based on a German WW2 tread. Talk to German MV collectors, they think CMP collectors whine because they can't get the correct tread or think the availble 16" and 20" tyres are "too expensive".

Also, this tyre might be an option for our friends here who own Dingo's. Richard, Nigel, Danny?
Hanno,
This is a coincidence as I have recently found a tyre supplier /manufacturer in Austria, who lists these German / NATO treaded tyres of obscure sizes for WW2 German mv's. One of which is the 7.50-18. I asked an overseas friend who is involved with German vehicles, if he could confirm overall diameter, actual width when fitted to the rim and max. load per tyre. He came back to say that although they were listed, they were not yet in production and the only likely vehicles that would use them are 252 and Stower (spelling?) meaning that there may not be enough demand. These could be the most economic answer to a Dingo owner, if the above dimensions are OK. Max. load falls in alright, at 1060 kgs per tyre as the vehicle is approx. 3 ton or a little over 3000 kgs. They are for a 5.5" rim, where as a Daimler is 5" so should be no real problem there.

I have already pursued the possibility of new tyres being made, but with the cost of a mould being about £25,000 and min. order of 200, the cost would be prohibitive.

Thanks for the link.......lets just hope they have not just gone out of production!

Richard
Old 31-01-04, 08:42
MLU Administrator

Default Re: BF Goodrich mould 9.00 x 16 and 'Unimog' 12.50 x 20

Quote:
Originally posted by David_Hayward
http://www.galaxytire.com/trucks_milita.shtml
McStolly! 14.00-20" 24 Ply Rating tyres available from Galaxy Tire Europa in Germany - these must be EU (Waffenamt) approved!
Old 31-01-04, 09:02
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: 10.50 x 20?

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
He came back to say that although they were listed, they were not yet in production and the only likely vehicles that would use them are 252 and Stower (spelling?) meaning that there may not be enough demand. These could be the most economic answer to a Dingo owner, if the above dimensions are OK.
Richard,

Was he talking about the same manufacturer?
It could be helpful if you pointed out to the manufacturer that there are many more Dingos requiring tyres then there are German MVs, making it all the more interesting for them to start producing a few batches. Here's hoping!

Hanno
Old 31-01-04, 17:43

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 10.50 x 20?

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Richard,

Was he talking about the same manufacturer?
It could be helpful if you pointed out to the manufacturer that there are many more Dingos requiring tyres then there are German MVs, making it all the more interesting for them to start producing a few batches. Here's hoping!

Hanno
Hanno,
It may have been a little too early to jump and down with excitement, the extra 0.5" on the tyre size appears, after a quick check of an original Daimler tyre, to be 2.5" wider and approx. 2" more in diameter.

I get the impression from the website that the ones I initially found, were LKW Reisen, who I think are Continental. Take a look at the website, I know there are probably not many owners of WW2 German vehicles on this site, but it may be of interest;

www.oldtimerreifen.at/lkw.html

As it is an Austrian site I have to guess a little at its contents.

If a tyre company goes to the lengths of contemplating tyres of these odd sizes, maybe we can still convince a manufacturer to do a run. There are now over 100 Daimlers on the Register, with a fair few more around the world.

Richard