MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 13-02-07, 11:05

Default How to Drive Military Vehicles in Traffic

This could be the main drag in Corowa in a couple of weeks!

http://www.break.com/index/humvee_dr...i_traffic.html
Old 13-02-07, 11:18
Film maker, CMP addict

Default That's style

Perhaps the CMPs can do that to the Jeeps.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 13-02-07, 11:20

G'day All, I saw this clip a few days ago in another forum, I think Robert if anyone was driving like that (and sometimes we probably wish we could LOL) you would be in more strife than a maggot on a pork chop. One thing I did see was a late model Series Land Rover (109" LWB) mustard in colour at around the 1 minute 58 second mark anyway gotta go I'm on nite shift cheers Dennis
Old 13-02-07, 11:23

Dennis I'm guessing thats the same place I found it too! AULRO
Old 13-02-07, 11:59
Vets Dottir

Hey ... that looks just like driving in Toronto
Old 13-02-07, 12:28
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Hey ... that looks just like driving in Toronto
Seen that linked through Tanknet... it's a Humvee with an attitude. Be more fun with a CMP or even an M-37, though....
Old 13-02-07, 15:23
RIP

No wonder that they are not winning the hearts and minds.
Old 13-02-07, 17:02
Dave Demorrow

that is a stupid person. i had some jack asses like that working for me in baghdad. they would go out for a chicken sandwich at the corner store and we would have to work weeks to fix the damage to the cars and people. that guy needs to get a bill for fixing all the cars he hit.

also you dont hear about it too much but nearly 1/3 of the deaths we have from iraq are from trafic accidents, not combat. and from the way he was driving i bet he was alone just messing around. we had bbbig problems with majors and above taking joy rides.
42 6LB GUN
and the list keeps growing, and growing.... i need help LOL
Old 13-02-07, 18:36
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Majors and Above....

We ALL have problems with them... starting with no sense of humour and going downhill from there... there's probably a reason I never made major...
Old 13-02-07, 18:45
Dave Demorrow

i was in ADA at baghdad, my responsability was for the power, water, heat, AC, showers, and TV / cable for about 850 troops. i had about $2,000,000.00 total per quarter for everything. of that the top 3 officers and top NCO got about $1,000,000.00 and the others got the rest. the S-3 alone had 3 direct TV dishes (just in case one went down) his own phone line in his room for (moral) calls, and we had to pump water about 1/4 mile to build him a bathroom in his room. he also had 2 drivers and would take peoples body armor when going to the green zone. he would sit in the back and wrap the extra body armor around him while the other driver sat in his seat and played target.

the problem was caused by the fact that being ADA we know we would never be used for anti aircraft (due to the USAF) so the officers turned on each other. thats one reason that SHORAD ADA is being withdrawn from the US army.
42 6LB GUN
Old 15-02-07, 08:16
RIP

Default Pussy Driving

Hi all
I drive like that every day. However I also spent many years surveillance driving and you should have seen that. But I must agree with Dave that the video does not demonstrate how to win friends and influence people.
Bob
Old 16-02-07, 12:01

..this video is a further indication, that the earth is a disc, pigs can fly and that the US will win that war.
Old 16-02-07, 16:19
Dave Demorrow

Kuno.
At the risk of being kicked off this thread and forum I need to say something. Go and jump off a cliff. You have no idea what you are talking about you left-wing US-hater.

Ok now to judge the US efforts by one video clip is like saying everyone in Canada is a French speaking Hindu. Not true

The US is winning the war, how do I know I WAS THERE. Have you ever been? The numbers speak for themselves
12,000,000 people voted for the first time (higher % than in the US or Canada)
5,000,000 cell phones (punishable by death under sadam)
350,000, new soldiers (sunnis, Kurds, and shiites working together for the first time)
18,000 border guards
200,000 new police
40,000 new schools
95% of the children vaccinated
90% of the children in schools
2.000.000 new textbooks donated by the US
200% increase in electricity output
Only about 2100 US troops have died in combat in almost 4 years of war (less than many, many one day battles.)
1000% upsurge in the value of the Dinar
NO major problems in the north
Most of the major violence in Baghdad can be traced to Iran and al quaida

In fact there are 2 known Iranian SF battalions working in and around Baghdad.

We have recovered over 800 WMD in Baghdad, everything from M-22 rockets, nerve V and G agents, live saran filled 152mm rounds, L-29 ground attack aircraft set up for spraying chem. agents, and 1/2 of a nuclear bomb recovered under a rose bush from the head of the Iraqi nuclear agency. Also there were 200 NEW (made in 2000) scud B rocket motors found with other parts ready to be built into new rockets.

Are things great there, no? Would I go back if I could yes. Does this video help no. Do the French, Iranians, and Syrians help? No.

Several times the deaths of British, Iraqi, soldiers, civilians and US can be traced back to the Arab speaking French news agency (for giving flight times to the insurgents allowing them to fire at aircraft at Baghdad int airport). CNN international for hyping or falsely reporting on “innocent” people getting killed (bombing a wedding party, the “party” had 3 23mm antiaircraft guns, and a stockpile of mortar and artillery rounds, oh yeah and they were all guys), Rioters for filing false stories, and photos (same bodies 6 different air strikes, sometimes they were dead, sometimes they were the rescuers) and then there is the Arab news media that do things like report that a entire town was destroyed by US napalm. (The problem is that the town doesn’t exist, and we don’t even have napalm anymore). This propaganda has gotten many people killed in this war and has made the general public unaware of what’s really going on over there. In general if you are watching news broadcast 80% of what you hear is a lie (90% if you watch the BBC or NBC)

We have tried working with other countries to get the job done, where has it gotten us? Stabbed in the back. When I was there we found NEW French anti aircraft SAMs (Roland IIs) that killed 1 pilot, NEW Russian state of the art ATGM killed at least 10, NEW gas masks from Germany, NEW 82 mm mortars, and IED kits made in Iran. We have also killed thousands of NON-Iraqis fighting there. On a normal parole in Iraq the civilians come to us all the time pointing out the troublemakers in their neiborhoods.

Is the situation getting better? yes. Are the Iraqi forces getting better? yes. Are they better armed? yes. Will we win...... we have to.
42 6LB GUN
Old 16-02-07, 18:29

Hi Dave; without any further discussion I would agree to at least the following of your above statement:

You have to win!

A good part of the "news" is pure propaganda - at least for the channel itself to ensure a high quote of spectators.

----

I do not hate the US; and IF the US and you as one of its representatives are really "fighting for freedom & democracy" then you have at first to accept that there might be people in that small world which allow themselves to critizice what the US are doing. I know, this ist not always easy for you. I mean for the US.

I can easily imagine that there are lot of US-citizens who try to make something good what has been disturbed by your "bosses".

----

Further: Everything is "propaganda & lies"; except the figures given by you above? I take them as a statement beside all the others. Not less but as well not more.

----

And; you are right; I have never been in Iraq. But since I am already "free & democratic" I still insist on my right to tell what I think.

----

Old 16-02-07, 18:50
Mr. HUP

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuno
...I am already "free & democratic" I still insist on my right to tell what I think...
Kuno, Do you think your rights are worth fighting for? Would you fight to keep that privilege? Just curious...
Old 16-02-07, 21:24
Dave Demorrow

i never said you or others didnt have the right to say what you want, but this is wartime and people need to understand that sometimes words can kill.

as for the numbers, even the BBC and the US NBC will agree that the numbers are corect. they will even broadcast that. but you need to be quick due to the fact that they will only say it once.

like the fact that only 70% of iraq has reliable electricity.... well only about 20% had it under sadam.

the CBC had a story about the fact that everyone under sadam had free health care..... but they didnt say that they didnt have any meds unless you were suni.

gas was only $.30 a gal. but only about 20% of the country had cars.

you can beleave the numbers i gave you, do your own checking i think you will find that they are close or even better by now.

dave
42 6LB GUN
Old 16-02-07, 22:02
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by alleramilitaria
Will we win...... we have to.
Dave, thank you for all of that information in your posts!!! It's good to hear about the changes and what people are dealing with over there, from someone who was there ...

Karmen
Old 17-02-07, 04:30

@ RHClarke; yes - no question. Every day but luckily up to now not in a war.
Old 17-02-07, 04:44

"i never said you or others didnt have the right to say what you want, but this is wartime and people need to understand that sometimes words can kill."

Words can kill and words DO kill. But it is not only the "silly journalist" who kills in saying careless words it is as well the stupid soldier who presents such videos as shown in the first post of this thread! Even if the situation may made it necessary to drive like they did, it should not be shown in public! Yoou may agree that it seems that they did have some sort of fun chasing these small cars? Ok; one may have fun like this - who would not of all those who are stucked in each mornings traffic jam? But it is a difference, if I represent myself alone or if I wear a uniform! This is something I learnt first when doing military service - the uniform makes me being a part of the country I shall defend and not an individual being any more.

Words can kill. Yes; as well what you stated above about this strange behaviour of some of the officers is not very helpful. I never would say that this is particular for the US-army. Such people are probably found all around the world and they may do more harm to the good work and the efforts of many others than the enemy.

Words have killed; too many lies have been brought up by the politicians about Iraq. The comon soldier has to suffer it and many people lost their live due to this.
Old 17-02-07, 15:29
Mr. HUP

Default Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by Kuno
@ RHClarke; yes - no question. Every day but luckily up to now not in a war.
Kuno,

Me too. My experience in uniform more than suggests that the majority of men and women in Canadian, British and US uniforms serve, or or have served for those higher ideals that average citizens tend to carelessly toss about.

That video will not win the "hearts and minds" of the locals, but it is not indicative of all of the good work being done by the majority of our allies in Iraq. But, the troops are there and deserve our support. Did you base your doubts on the US led effort on this one video? I hope not. We should be targetting the politicians who have forever been sending our young in to sort out their messes.

Being "free" affords us a lot of luxuries - including the ability to express one's opinion in an open forum. But to criticize without suggesting a way to fix the problem is in my mind, an abuse of that freedom.

That being said, what would you consider to be the winning conditions for an area ripped apart by historically based religious sectarian violence, tribalism and outside interference (Iran, Syria, China, Russia)?
Old 17-02-07, 16:44
Mr. HUP

Default Back On Track

Some more "driving" video footage from our Russian "friends". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9jQSfnWsnw

Some good shots here, but this video is not as impressive as "I serve the Soviet Union" http://www.ihffilm.com/730.html
Old 17-02-07, 21:13

@ RHClarke

I wish that I could answer your question. But I cannot. For me it is naturally not that difficult to commit that I cannot provide the solution to the situation as we have it today in Iraq. At least for the moment I am sitting in a "dry place". For those detached to be in Iraq it is much more desperate; the can not ask a for break to think about a good solution... and whatever they may decide, the consequences are not known in advance.

I may compare the situation in Iraq a little bit with that what was in Jugoslavia a few years ago. When the federation broke apart, suddenly half of the village was the enemy. I know several of those guys who were playing football in one team before...

If I see the cemeteries of the war in North Africa - which are not the biggest by far!- and become aware of the age of the comon soldier; 17, 19, 22 then one can really become sad.

They were not enemies in fact; only somebody had decided that the have to fight each other. And in most of the cases, these "somebodies" are schaking hands after a war and continue their business.

The sad thing is that in most of the cases, those guys who are responsible for the mess do not have to take the responsibility in the end.

RHClarke; believe me, if I would have the answer to your question, I would tell it right now. I can only hope that soembody comes up with it really soon to save as much as possible of these young lives and to allow them to return home to their families - does not matter which nation or religion they belong to.