MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 04-12-21, 23:50

Default Working with Wireless/Radio Equipment

Harry Moon has taken the time to raise an interesting point on my 52-Set Project thread; I thought was worth expanding on in its own right.

Harry’s primary interest has been with restoration of military vehicles, to which the Wireless Set No. 19, along with a whole host of other military wireless sets and radios, are important accessories. As typically happens, the vehicle gets all the attention and becomes a working piece of history for all to admire, and the wireless kit associated with it, sits quietly doing nothing for the rest of its life.

I freely admit it. I was exactly the same way back in the early 1980’s when working on my WIRE-5 restoration. That was the only reason I bought my 19-Set Mk III and related kit: to complete the interior of the Wireless Truck. I was into the second year of the WIRE-5 Project staring at it out the window one January afternoon, the snow piled up to the doors. I was muttering because I could not work on the project and cursing the weather. Out of shear frustration I went downstairs and hauled out the 19-Set to have a closer look at it and at least read the manual about it. That got me thinking it might be a worthwhile winter task to work on this thing to fill in some time and I justified it back then as a simple bit of work going towards the overall WIRE-5 Project.

One of my friends was an Electronics/Radio Engineer, and also a local Amateur Radio member so I started picking his brain in order to wrap my head around this strange and scary 19-Set. This is where Harry’s current story comes into play. He is looking for somebody in his area to connect with regarding his Wireless Set No. 19, with a view, perhaps to getting it up and running. This is a fantastic first step and I applaud Harry for taking it.

I may raise a lot of eyebrows out there by saying this, but there is absolutely no difference at all about the theory and laws of electricity as applied to hunting down and fixing a problem hidden somewhere in the electrical system of a CMP, or any other military vehicle, and the theory and laws of electricity racing through the circuits of a wireless/radio set. A lot of different components, yes, but the same rules apply. If you have the patience to work your way to a solution with one, you can do it with the other. The key point here is that regardless of whether you are working on a Lynx Scout Car. Or a 19-Set, it is a great world when you can tap into other experts in the world to help you sort out problems. Just look what goes on here on MLU on a daily, if not hourly basis. If a problem cannot be sorted out directly, an alternate direction can often be provided to source the required answer.

In the Amateur radio world, these individuals you can contact are very highly regarded. In fact, if you are learning to get your Amateur Radio Licence, finding such a helper is very much encouraged and they are known as ‘Elmers’. My friend here in Winnipeg was mine and I use him frequently to bounce ideas off and for some testing help from time to time. So I hope Harry can connect with an Amateur in his area to assist him should he decide to dive into getting his 19-Set back up and running.

Yes, working on a wireless set is challenging. The biggest part of that is the fact the bits and pieces are so darned small. You do not have large runs of wire between the various bits. You do need good hand/eye coordination, but if you have the patience and discipline to completely disassemble a carburetor, fix and rebuild it, you can handle a wireless set. If your solution to fixing a mechanical problem on your CMP is to reach for a bigger hammer…maybe not.

The other great thing (oddly enough) about working on wireless equipment is the nice compact size. You can rebuild a complete 19-Set on a standard size desk in your house, any day of the year, in any weather. Try that with your favourite jeep. There is one ‘small’ caveat, however. Some wireless equipment can be heavy. Small and Heavy! 100 pounds plus heavy. Just ask Rob Love about the joys of man handling a CPP-2 Power Supply. Still very much appreciated, Rob, by the way.

So, I hope somebody turns up in your area, Harry. In the meantime, if you have questions, ask away.

David
Old 05-12-21, 00:22
GM Fox I

Thanks for that Dave. I'd like to throw out another angle to it. An operating wireless set in the back of a well restored MV marked and kitted out correctly, then crewed with period looking signalers is a living time capsule. However a good number of us are really only interested in one of those three aspects, maybe even two but all three takes some special kind of commitment.

But let's say that's where you want to go. First question, how many times do you get to show off the whole package? Probably not many times a year, and every time involves putting it all together and the inevitable wear and tear. If keeping it complete for your own enjoyment (pick me!!) it still requires either leaving the wireless set in the vehicle where most likely it will suffer moisture and cold in the garage. Or you could take it in and out before each show which is a ton of work and not great on those 75 year old connectors.

I have in the past had the most gratifying experience operating 19 sets in my UC and Fox but have now settled for non-operating, cosmetic sets in the vehicles and my runners safely inside. Now if I had indoor climate controlled storage I may revisit...

Last edited by Bruce Parker (RIP); 05-12-21 at 00:51.
Old 05-12-21, 01:05

I agree whole heartedly the advantages of climate controlled vehicle storage is a huge plus in keeping most wireless sets installed in vehicles healthy. Even the vehicles themselves can be at risk to some degree otherwise these days it seems, Bruce.

You are right, the events one can take advantage of these days are few. Bigger consideration for me, is my reenactment days are long gone, unless there is a Home Guard group hiding somewhere I do not know of. Not sure they make Pattern 37 belts in my size. I now have a new and growing appreciation for suspenders. I even wonder if the Home Guard even used wireless. Hhmmm?

On the bright side, many of the Wireless and FFW vehicles were specifically designed for quick and simple removal of the wireless set. These would be great for infrequent trips to events, even if two live bodies are needed to get the set in and out of the vehicle. Definitely not a great option for other vehicles where the wireless is pretty much ‘hard wired in’ as you pointed out.

The really encouraging thing is the possibility of a growing crossover of interest between working military vehicles and their related wireless kit. Even if the set in your vehicle at a show is not running, if you have a working set at home you are familiar with, you can field questions much more effectively at an event and avoid that ‘deer in headlights look’ when asked a question. That sort of feeds back to Harry a bit and his interest in the 19-Set in its own right.

Would also be kind of fun to have enough working WW2 Wireless Equipment out there again to set up more local and regional Nets, R/T as well as CW. Now if we could only find the sister transmitter to the one they used for Hydra at Camp X.

David
Old 05-12-21, 03:34

Default Excellent

well I hope I do connect with someone local and spark some interest. a couple other topics raised about storage. While I live in a relativly mild climate and on high ground away from little creeks that lately haven't stayed little, it can be moist, so for most of the years I've had the trucks stored outside, canvased and trapped, i put a small electric heater in and keep it running on a low setting. I can emediatly tell if I've unplugged it when i climb in so making sure they are running is a regular checkup along with secure tarps. this will be the first year with the radio and equipment left in the truck but with the small bit of insulation a canvas tarp with a poly tarp over top it should stay relatively dry inside.
also we are very fortunate that we have worked together with a fairly large and dedicated group of young men with VEMRA, Victoria Esquimalt Military Reenactors association, who put together some excellent kit and are keen to participate and perhaps a radio restoration operation would fit in with their limited means and space.
Old 05-12-21, 16:58

If you Google the Salt Spring Island Amateur Radio Club, Harry, they have a list of all the Amateur Radio Clubs in BC on their site. That might be of help to you finding somebody local who can help you out.

We have a greater weather extreme in these parts, Harry, but I have found it pays to be wary here with synthetic tarps covering things in the spring. The ground starts to heat and the humidity rises up under the tarp only to pool at the high points where the air is cooler. Our glass top patio table, which is wide open underneath does it every year. The moisture drips off the bottom of the glass until the sun is high enough up to heat the glass and burn the condensation off. The fussy lined vinyl cover on our AC compressor does the same thing and is soaked inside at the top each year when we remove it.

David
Old 05-12-21, 19:20

Default tarp use

I always keep my eye out for a couple of days of dry weather and pull the tarps back, I'm still struggling getting the one dry to my satisfaction after remembrance day soaking.
Old 05-12-21, 21:14
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
You are right, the events one can take advantage of these days are few. Bigger consideration for me, is my reenactment days are long gone, unless there is a Home Guard group hiding somewhere I do not know of. Not sure they make Pattern 37 belts in my size. I now have a new and growing appreciation for suspenders. I even wonder if the Home Guard even used wireless. Hhmmm?

David
I'm sure they can find something in your size
https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/shop-r...-army.html?p=1

As to wireless it was probably a mixture of whatever they could get. In the beginning the Home Guard was at the bottom of the food chain. They were even issued with pike poles. I do have one document from the UK War Office in 1944 stating the Guard was issued with the Canadian WS58.