MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 17-01-04, 07:34
West Coaster

Default U.S. M37 Differences

Hi all,
I have read about some of the differences between U.S. M37s and Cdn M37s. Different engine, transmission but what are some of the other differences?
Anyone?

JD
Old 17-01-04, 13:45

Default US M37s

Hi JD; We had the M37s(US) in the middle east, and apart from being somewhat under-powered(read gutless) with the smaller 230 ci they also had canvas tops. The boys were doing an engine change on one of our Cdn M37s and used what supply gave them as a "3/4 Ton" engine. They couldn't understand why it was shorter than the one they removed.
Cheers, Bill
Old 17-01-04, 19:59
West Coaster

Bill,
Yes know about the engine. Have heard distant rumours that the frame length might be a little different too. ?? Differential gearing seems to be the same as does axle width. Other body fittings seem to be the same but again?
This question came up as I 've got both the Cdn repair manual and the U.S. TMs (in CD). I don't want to make a horrid mistake with parts/sizes. My Cdn manual is original and so I don't want to take it out of the office. Hence the desire to use CD printed excerpts.
Did notice one small difference myself but it was Cdn to Cdn - in the Cdn manual, the bolts holding the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold together show them threading up from underneath into internal threads on the intake manifold, and on my two engines, the bolts go straight through and have nuts on them.

JD
Old 18-01-04, 18:47
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Default Recently restored

JD, I just finished an extensive frame off on my M37CDN.
Basically, the main areas of difference are the engine and transmission.
The US used the 230cid which is about 4" shorter and is designated T245. The Canadian motor is a 251cid designated T249.
I cannot recal the difference in the transmissions, although I know they are different. I believe it is the shift pattern, hence the internal components are not the same configuration.
Although these things are different from each other, pretty much all the parts like seals etc are the same ones used interchangably.
As for body and frame, my truck was rebuilt using mostly it's original body with extensive bodywork. I did fit a few US parts such as rear fenders, running board etc. without problem.
I belive that the decision to build a Canadian version was at the time political. Our trucks were built in Windsor and used almost all US sourced parts. The drivetrain was wholly ours I guess to maintain a degree of "Canadian content".
You should not have any problems sourcing bits for a restoration, what you can't get here, go south to find.
If you need some sources send me a PM and I'll forward some names.
Old 18-01-04, 21:55
West Coaster

Chris,
Thanks. You did a terrific job on your M37. You sent me pictures of it when I wasn't decided on which kind of 3/4 I wanted to buy. If the engine and transmission are the only real differences - another comes to mind here... the slave cable I think was Canadian only, then I can get good parts south of the line as required.
I think Canada likely made a good decision on the engine and trans. Bill mentioned above that the 230 was gutless and the U.S. trans I've heard is fully non synchro (except for the B1?). So how would we have liked driving a gutless non synchro'ed truck through our rugged training areas and up north? Ugghh.

Cheers
JD
Old 03-02-04, 20:11

Default CdnM37 vs US

A few more comments:
Cdn. transmission by ACME out of Toronto (no kidding!).
Most Cdn trucks had the ARCTIC hardcab from the factory while most US trucks came with the canvas softtop and a series of tie-down hooks mounted around the back top edge of the cab.
Ditributor shaft for the 251 is longer than the 230 distributor shaft. I found out by buying the wrong one from down south.
Different winch PTO because of the different transmission.
Cdn trucks came with a small lipstick sized light monted under the rear right side bumper where it couldn't be seen from far away, designed to shine on the white painted rear differential hub to aid in night convoy driving. One extra wire in the rear wiring harness as a result.
Most US trucks had a 2"x4" D shaped handle bolted to the front edge of the engine hood to aid in lifting same. Less pinched fingers that way I guess.
Many Cdn trucks have bolt holes/clip on the passenger dashboard where a holder for a Sterling SMG was mounted. Don't think that this was authorized, just done by many units in the field.
Some CdnM37 trucks had the front tire moved to the front bumper, in front of the rad. Have seen several photos of troops being deployed in Montreal during the "FLQ Crisis" with this change. Allows one more man in the rear of the truck.
Many of the "van type" M152 and M43 Cdn trucks had large wire stowage frames mounted on their roofs to provide for carrying tentage and as a work platform for radio antennae etc. See the photo in JD's other thread on the same MLU section (ie. "the hovertruck")

Thats all that comes to mind at the moment. Robert in Toronto