MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 01-10-22, 16:27
GM Fox I

Default HUP (HUW) Frame Question

Has anyone access to an original HUP (or similar) who can answer a question about the front frame channel that the cab cowl rests on?

My question basically is whether the HUP used spacers between the frame and the channel.

The channel that came off my HUW (seen placed in location in the photo below) doesn't have spacers but I really can't recall if it ever did when I took it off years ago. It may have and they got lost. The second channel I have is taken off a Chev 60cwt and is the identical part. But when I took it off I attached the four spacers as seen in the pic.

So did the HUP use spacers or not? The HUP front cowl has many differences and also HUP engines sit differently so anything is possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Frame Channel.JPG  
Old 01-10-22, 16:58

This may not be a very satisfactory answer... but reflects what I would do in your situation.

I suggest preparing and painting the channel and a set of spacers (make them if you don't have originals). I'm thinking of painting them separate from the frame so all sides are painted and look the same (also match frame and channel) and can be either put in or left out as appropriate. Once you have the main body in place on the frame, install the channel, do a trial assembly of the front end shell to the body and frame and check to see whether the spacer fits between the channel and the curved angle at the center of the front shell. If it fits, unbolt the channel and install spacers between frame rails and channel, if it won't go during the trial fit-up you don't need the spacers but you didn't lose a great deal in time and materials making them.
Old 01-10-22, 17:15
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
This may not be a very satisfactory answer... but reflects what I would do in your situation.

I suggest preparing and painting the channel and a set of spacers (make them if you don't have originals). I'm thinking of painting them separate from the frame so all sides are painted and look the same (also match frame and channel) and can be either put in or left out as appropriate. Once you have the main body in place on the frame, install the channel, do a trial assembly of the front end shell to the body and frame and check to see whether the spacer fits between the channel and the curved angle at the center of the front shell. If it fits, unbolt the channel and install spacers between frame rails and channel, if it won't go during the trial fit-up you don't need the spacers but you didn't lose a great deal in time and materials making them.
Thanks Grant, good advice. I have the 4 spacers from the 60cwt channel and will happily use them on the HUW if required. To complicate things, it's possible there were two spacers at the front and none at the back so as to level up the channel compensating for the downward pitch of the frame.
Old 01-10-22, 18:32

Default Is this what you are looking for?

Hi Bruce is this what you are looking for, this picture is of the end of the channel I think you are talking about, on my 1945 HUP pre-overhaul so this has never been taken a part for the any spacers to be lost.

Cheers Phil

Click image for larger version

Name:	web HUP Bumper Bracket Questions 001.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	130180
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/R...ions%20001.jpg
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 01-10-22 at 18:36. Reason: Hit send to soon
Old 01-10-22, 18:45
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Bruce is this what you are looking for, this picture is of the end of the channel I think you are talking about, on my 1945 HUP pre-overhaul so this has never been taken a part for the any spacers to be lost.
Yes!!! That's the part and the answer I'm looking for....no spacers. This makes sense because first, the HUP engine sits lower at the front so it follows the channel and even the crank guide are lower. Second, had there been spacers I would have attached them (as I generally do) to the part they should be attached to (but strange things happen).

Thank you!!!