MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 24-08-10, 00:10

Default 25 Pounder guns colour

We are receiving three 25 pounder guns from the Irish Artillery to the Canadian Artillery.
The guns will be distributed to different Artillery Units in Canada.
One will be going to the Limber Gunner of Toronto.
One will go to the 3rd (Montreal) Field Battery of Artillery (3BAM).
The last one has not been assigned yet.

The 3BAM gun will be sand-blast and repaint.
We would like to paint it the same colour used in Sicily during Operation Husky.

Does someone have the answer?
See attached the guns been loaded in Dublin.

Last edited by CWO (ret) Gilles Aubé; 04-12-15 at 16:17.
Old 24-08-10, 01:39
Gilles Chartrand

Congratulations on this beautiful gun. Gilles
Old 24-08-10, 11:39

Thumbs up 25 pounders

Cannot help with the Colour for Sicily - I should think it would be Olive Drab ?
I see the guns are without Firing Mechanisms, Gunsights and Sight Clinometers ?
Normally the Gunsights and Sight Clinometers are housed on the shields in leather cases ?
I am an ex- Gunner and we used these guns extensively for teaching Artillery work at the School of Artillery at Larkhill , near Amesbury and Stonehenge in Wiltshire U.K. This was from 1954 till I left in 1957.
It was also the norm to have "Drag Ropes" and "Gun Aiming Posts" attached to the front of the shields.The Gun Aiming Posts were metal rods , about five feet - 1.53 metres - long , painted alterately with black and white stripes.After a "Gun Aiming Point No1" was selected at distance when first "Registering" the Guns, a second one "GAP2" was set-out only a few hundred yards from the gun to be used if the distant "GAP1" got obscured - by rain, snow ,fog or smoke.Olive drab was the normal colour ,only changed to "Desert Sand" if in those areas. The Regimental 25 pounders ,Limbers and Quads were painted in this colour in 1956 in preparation for the Regiment embarking for the "Suez" operation. In the event it did not go and all the Guns , Limbers and Tractors had to be repainted Olive Drab and "Brightwork" - lifting handles , Breech Rings and Blocks and Muzzle Brakes had to be scraped and polished - having been painted "Desrt Sand" !
Old 24-08-10, 14:36
RIP

well I would have thought you would have had 25pdr in Canada still .

The guns would have been camoflauged to the area and use they were being put but guns in just battery use would have been in lustreless olive drab

before the end of the war impressed with the German solothurn muzzle brake on the 105mm most guns were upgraded with the muzzle brake and matchng counter weight in front of the breach ring first performed on guns liable to see anti tank use and then latter all guns . As well sights were upgraded to new performance of gun .
near the end of the war the guns were painted in hard wearing semi gloss dark green and post war many were in light olive drab .
as your guns are late upgrades they probably were not used in that form in Sicily , I do have a large amount of spares in the collection for 25pdr and am always happy to trade should they be desired including limber no27, rounds and packings tools and boxes etc
your guins still have ww2 rubber tyres on them and I would be interested to be put in touch with your supplier in Ireland to see if they have any spare tyres of that pattern tread and I am also after a rivetted gun carridge with shield not necessarily barrel and recoil for a project I have under way
I have issues adding shots but may do an article on my 25pdr later here that are it the form that would have been used in Sicily

when you have done up your guns if they are not going undercover they need to be up off the ground and tyres painted to give them some protection from UV exposure

regards
Rod
Old 27-08-10, 05:38

Default Canadian Q.F. 25-Pdr In Sicily

Less than 30 seconds on the internet found this image. I guess it is easier to ask the question then do the searching...

Old 28-08-10, 15:45
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
well I would have thought you would have had 25pdr in Canada still .

Rod
We do have a number of guns on display, but to be released from service, all the usefull parts and dangerous bits have to be deactivated. The working guns are imported from countries that used them a lot longer or captured them from armies so they couldn't be used any more.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!