MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 18-01-06, 03:41
Derek Heuring

Default Round Two of "Name that Vehicle!"

Good evening Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to round two of "Name that Vehicle!" For those of you who missed round one, here are the rules:
I'll post a pic of an obscure military vehicle. After each unsuccessful guess I'll post a clue. The grand prize of a six pack of "Lone Star" beer will be reduced by two beer for each subsequent clue I give.
The winner of the first round of "Name that Vehicle" was Alex Blair of Ottawa, Canada. Alex came closest with his guess of a Sisu xa200. The vehicle in the pic was actually a Sisu xa180, however the judges ruled Alex's guess was close enough. That plus the fact that three clues had already been given and it wasn't going to cost the sponsor a cent!
So! Everyone understand the rules? Good! Hands on your buzzer, it's time to play, "NAME THAT VEHICLE!"
Attached Thumbnails
renault type ue (cheniliette d\'infantrie).jpg  
Old 18-01-06, 06:10
BIG MIKE

Thats a Cezch Vehicle rite?? Sapper, thats all i know , did Alex get his six pack in the mail yet?lol thats a female with a nice six pack !!!

YHOS BIG MIKE
Old 18-01-06, 06:45
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG MIKE
Thats a Cezch Vehicle rite?? Sapper, thats all i know , did Alex get his six pack in the mail yet?lol thats a female with a nice six pack !!!

YHOS BIG MIKE

Sorry Big Mike, not Czech. Unfortunately Alex's correct answer came after the third clue so no delicious, icy cold national Beer of Texas for Mr. Blair

O.K., first clue: This vehicle was used by at least one of the Allies and the Germans during WW II.

Four beers and counting.
Old 18-01-06, 17:27
In Vino Veritas

Default Unic...

...or Praga Russian tractor. I have seen that bugger before but do you think I can find the book...grrrr.
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 18-01-06, 18:47
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Unic...

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
...or Praga Russian tractor. I have seen that bugger before but do you think I can find the book...grrrr.
Sean

Sorry, Sean. Not from our Russian comrades either.

2nd clue: it's name translated into English is "small infantry caterpillar"

2 beers and counting. (I think this is going to be a tough one)
Old 18-01-06, 21:43
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default SWAG

Hi Derek:

My scientific wild ass guess is that it is Italian or Hungarian. I don't have any of my recognition books handy but the suspension and the national symbol beside the licence number look Eye-tie to me.

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 18-01-06, 21:46

Default Hmmmm!

A second look might make me change my vote to French... le petite chenillette d'infanterie based on the Lorraine carrier chassis- in Hunnish, a variant of the Lorraine schlepper?

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 18-01-06, 21:56

Its a Renault, track and suspension looks like their UE/AMX.

The cab version must be a later one than the Chenillettede Ravitaillement d'infantry Mod. 1931R . Later ones built by AMX.

Richard
Old 19-01-06, 00:19
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
Its a Renault, track and suspension looks like their UE/AMX.

The cab version must be a later one than the Chenillettede Ravitaillement d'infantry Mod. 1931R . Later ones built by AMX.

Richard

As Dr. Strangelove once said, "Jawohl, mein Fuhrer!"

Yes Richard this is indeed a modification of the Renault UE chenillette d'infanterie. I'll include a pic of the little carrier. Four companies produced these (Renault, Fouga, AMX, and Berliet) by adding a cab and box to the little UE. Sorry Gunner, but Richard mentioned the model number first, however, being the gentleman he is I'm sure he won't mind sharing his prize of two icy cold delicious "Lone Star beers", the national beer of Texas. Gentlemen, I'll have two ice cold (or in Richard's case tepid) beer waitng for you when you get here.
Congratulations Richard and stay tuned for the third installment of "NAME THAT VEHICLE!"

CHIMO!
Attached Thumbnails
chenillette_01.jpg  
Old 19-01-06, 00:32

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Gentlemen, I'll have two ice cold (or in Richard's case tepid) beer waitng for you when you get here.
Congratulations Richard and stay tuned for the third installment of "NAME THAT VEHICLE!"
Hi Derek,

It was the track frame that clinched it for me, thanks. looking forward to the next one

Hell, I've just realised, I have to go to Texas to pick up 2 bottles of beer That would work out just a little bit dearer than the beer I had in the Cheers bar in Kuala Lumpar

regards,
Richard
Old 19-01-06, 16:57
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
Hi Derek,

It was the track frame that clinched it for me, thanks. looking forward to the next one

Hell, I've just realised, I have to go to Texas to pick up 2 bottles of beer That would work out just a little bit dearer than the beer I had in the Cheers bar in Kuala Lumpar

regards,
Richard

...and worth every penny my friend!
I know what you mean by expensive beer. During a visit to Petra, Jordan I paid 7 Dinars for a cold one...about $14.00 cdn. at that time! EACH! I stopped at four. After a long hot day of climbing through the ruins, it was worth every piaster!

CHIMO!
Old 19-01-06, 18:11

Default Claiming Beer

Hi Derek:

No Gunner would ever turn down a free beer from a Sapper... let alone two!

I'll bring my dive gear (Just finished a month of sun, sand and crystal clear cavern diving in Florida. Might have to wait untill I accumulate some more leave!

"The only ones who noticed that Godiva rode a horse were a dirty drunken Gunner and an Engineer, of course!"

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 19-01-06, 21:19
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Claiming Beer

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
Hi Derek:

No Gunner would ever turn down a free beer from a Sapper... let alone two!

I'll bring my dive gear (Just finished a month of sun, sand and crystal clear cavern diving in Florida. Might have to wait untill I accumulate some more leave!

"The only ones who noticed that Godiva rode a horse were a dirty drunken Gunner and an Engineer, of course!"

Mike

Aahh yes, Gunners and Engineers have much in common! Particularly the Battle Honour UBIQUE. Whenever some Infantry grunt tries to get Regimental on me, I simply tell him three words;
YOO BEE KAY!

It seldom shuts them up, but my point is made!

The civilian engineering students from the University of British Columbia for decades annually hosted the "Lady Godiva" ride. Traditionally the lady riding the horse was totally naked, but her long flowing wig hid most of her body. Of course, when tradition and political correctness collide, you know who the casualty is! Tradition! Now the rider wears a flesh coloured body suit, tabernac! Come to think of it, the bull dykes that complained so much cut off their noses to spite their face, didn't they!?!