MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 16-01-06, 10:50

Default Unidentified Picture …

Can someone pse assist with an accession (image) number, which I’m guessing came from www.collectionscanada.ca? I am unable now to find it.

A picture of three members (2 male and 1 female) of ‘The Tin Hats’ concert party clowning at a piano. The pianist is wearing a respirator and holding a piece of sheet music. I downloaded this from the University of Calgary website, but it is no longer there and I can get no reply from them. It was referenced “gasmaskaroundpianocas.jpg”.

BTW, copyright permission now needs to be obtained from a different department. There is a reference “Applying for Copyright Clearance on Government of Canada Works” at

<http://publications.gc.ca/helpAndInf...ication-e.html>

A form has to be completed and can be downloaded.

It was careless of me not to have made notes at the time, but I didn’t know that I would want to use it.

Comments greatly appreciated …

Mike
(Eastbourne Local History Society)
Old 16-01-06, 15:33
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Default piano picture

the photo is still there but there is no reference number in it's properties. Maybe someone recognizes it. It's the top right one.

http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/nov04/wartime-shows/photos
Old 16-01-06, 16:34

Default Tin Hats (further) ...

VMT, Bruce, for tracing the pic on the website. That's a good step forward and I'm most grateful. Let's hope that someone will know the reference.

Mike
Old 16-01-06, 23:42

Default Mystery solved ...

I’ve just had a reply from Laurel Halladay at the University Calgary and it turns out that the photo in question is of "CBC Radio Scene of 'The Army Show', Ottawa, Ontario, 21 January 1944" and not the ‘Tin Hats’, after all. The reference is National Archives of Canada photo (PA 152120). The page on the Calgary website includes two Tin Hats pictures, both identified as female impersonators. Laurel Halladay has done a thesis entitled "'Ladies and Gentlemen, Soldiers and Artists:' Canadian Military Entertainers, 1939-1946". Another source of information is "The Canadian Entertainers of World War II" by W. Ray Stephen.

Mike