MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 10-03-16, 17:52

Default inner grease retainer

Along with the other questions I had about the F15a knuckles,I took 2 apart and they had 2 different grease retainer rings. This is the ring right up against the CV joint on the wheel side. One was a thin blue steel ring with a slight bevel on the inside edge. The other was just a plain steel thin washer, no bevel,and 2 small holes opposite each other. I think the latter was just a washer someone McGivered as a replacement. Can anyone describe what the proper ring should look like? It is #22 in my repair manual.
Old 10-03-16, 22:28
VMVC

Default Grease retainer ring

Hi Dave,

Seems there was another design change of that part during the war.

C01Q 2240 Retainer- front hub inner grease (Used with old design CV joint)
C11Q 2240 Retainer- front hub inner grease (Used with new design CV joint)

Trying to interpret the parts manual but cannot see a physical difference in the two CV joints they refers to.

Cannot put my fingers on the ones on the shelf but I seem to remember the two types with and without the two holes about 1/4" diameter. This would account for a design change.

In any case I remember they both had the beveled inner edge to allow it to fit flush against the face of the CV joint body which is radiused at the base of the spline shaft. On that basis the flat one may be a McGiver production.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 11-03-16, 00:57

As far as the 2 different joint designs , I have one with 5 balls and one with 6 balls. The one with 6 balls is identical to the modern CV joint used today, with all 6 balls each riding in it's own groove. The one with 5 balls has one ball located in the center of the joint and 4 riding in 4 grooves around the center ball.
Old 11-03-16, 01:46
VMVC

Default CV joint types

Hi Dave,

Sounds like you have the earlier Bendix type CV joint and the later, just like modern type, Rzeppa type CV joints in the same differential.

Changes things, as perhaps the 'McGiver" grease retainer is correct. The face of the Bendix CV loint towards the wheel looks hemispherical according to the attached photo from the GM Maintenance Manual.

I've never seen the Bendix type so perhaps the flat one is the correct one for that type of CV joint. A good way to tell if the thin retainer was homemade is if the holes are not quite round. Most people drill triangular holes in thin sheet metal unless they go to a bit of trouble to prevent it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 11-03-16, 03:15
VMVC

Default Grease retainers

Found the pictures. I posted them on 20-01-13.

No wonder I couldn't find them. I gave them to Eric Szlanda a fellow MLU member

Jacques Reed
Old 11-03-16, 03:19
VMVC

Default Pictures of CV grease retainers

Nimble fingers here hit enter before adding photos!

Eric had the type with two holes which show in a post just above mine on
20-01-13.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4781.jpg   IMG_4783.jpg  

Jacques Reed
Old 11-03-16, 17:04

Jacques, good post. I looked up the 20-01-13 post and learned a lot. The retainer with 2 holes I have must be a McGiver,the holes are different sizes and the center hole is way too big: 2 1/4 in.
The second retainer I have is the one pictured in your last post yesterday. The only problem is mine got scored so badly it was cut right through.
Old 12-03-16, 00:25
VMVC

Default CMP CV Joint grease retainers

Hi Dave,

Glad to be of help.
I am still curious why there would be two versions of the grease retainers, mine without the holes, and with the holes as per Eric's photo.

To my logical mind it defeats the purpose of being a grease retainer if it has holes in it, but at some time, some engineer deemed holes necessary and at another time unnecessary.

Question is which version came first?

Perhaps, like some engineering modifications, it does not greatly affect the retainer's functionality one way or the other.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed