MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 19-01-06, 20:14
Derek Heuring

Default Round four of "Name that Vehicle"

O.K., O.K., the last one was a little too easy...I mean even Karmen knew what it was for Heaven's sake! (hope no one finds out that I had no idea what the heck it was before seeing it online!)
The winner of round three and quickest on the buzzer was FV 623. Congratulations! FV 623, hereafter known as R., correctly guessed Faun L900 tank transporter. Well done!
R., a mid-level data entry clark (spelled phonetically) for MI 4 7/8 (R. never passed his civil service exam, therefore never quite made it to MI 5.) in the obscure military transport section. R.'s hobbies include clearing brambles from his garden gnome collection, that is, when he isn't setting his terriers upon badgers and hunt protestors. R. had this to say upon hearing of his win:
"Moneypenny, be a dear and dash off a note to Mr. Heuring. Tell him I prefer my beer shaken, not stirred!"

"Nuff congratulations already. I know you're all ready for the next round of "Name that Vehicle" I really had to scour my garage to find a vehicle to take a pic of that may be obscure enough to confound all you whizzes out there. Here goes! Everyone ready? hands on buzzers? It's time to play:
"NAME THAT VEHICLE!"
Attached Thumbnails
m.b. lg65 4.jpg  

Last edited by sapper740; 20-01-06 at 06:55.
Old 19-01-06, 20:35

Derek,

Warm my beers up,

is it a Laffly S35 ?

Richard
Old 19-01-06, 20:49

Lightbulb Name that vehicle

My guess:

Mercedes-Benz Typ LG 65/4.

Regards
Old 19-01-06, 20:57
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
Derek,

Warm my beers up,

is it a Laffly S35 ?

Richard
http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/ima...by/836&837.gif
Old 19-01-06, 22:03
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Farrant
Derek,

Warm my beers up,

is it a Laffly S35 ?

Richard

Unfortunately, no!

And there's no use in giving out a clue because Lars has it!
Old 19-01-06, 22:23
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Name that vehicle

Quote:
Originally posted by Lars Ulvestad
My guess:

Mercedes-Benz Typ LG 65/4.

Regards

WINNER!

Congratulations Lars, well done! Yes, this is indeed a Mercedes-Benz LG 65/4 3 ton 100 hp 6 cyl. diesel of which very few were made in 1936.
Lars, you have won a six pack of delicious refreshing Lone Star beer, the National Beer of Texas!
To collect your prize, simply present yourself and a printed copy of this thread along with a battle field pick up from Narvik and an original, never before seen photo of the Tirpitz at my house on or before 01/21/06. (offer void where prohibited by law.)

Thank you contestants, we'll see you on the next episode of:

"NAME THAT VEHICLE!"
Old 19-01-06, 23:14
Richard Notton

Default Re: Round four of "Name that Vehicle"

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
R., a mid-level data entry clark (spelled phonetically) for MI 4 7/8 (R. never passed his civil service exam, therefore never quite made it to MI 5.) in the obscure military transport section.
Nearer the mark than you think!!

I did work for GCHQ at one time, perhaps the latter day Bletchley Park. . . . . . . . . .

Now, keep up the "Name That Vehicle" thread but I have to tell you we Yurrupeans have a device that is stunningly rare over your end but quite common here and cannot be more highly recommended, indeed how anyone with even a passing interest in MVs lives without one I do not know.

The New Testament of the Vanderveen Bible, otherwise known as The Observers Fighting Vehicles Directory, World War II.

You'll have to look long and hard to find anything, even prototypes, not covered in this small but comprehensive tome. There is of course the Old Testament (Pre 1939) and Revelations (Post 1945) to make the complete set.

All now long out of print and if you see one for sale its worth breaking the piggy bank or raiding the hole-in-the-wall PDQ.

R.P.M. (What makes you think my Ol' Man was a REME Major?)

N.
Old 20-01-06, 02:11
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Round four of "Name that Vehicle"

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by FV623

Now, keep up the "Name That Vehicle" thread but I have to tell you we Yurrupeans have a device that is stunningly rare over your end but quite common here and cannot be more highly recommended, indeed how anyone with even a passing interest in MVs lives without one I do not know.

The New Testament of the Vanderveen Bible, otherwise known as The Observers Fighting Vehicles Directory, World War II.

R.P.M. (What makes you think my Ol' Man was a REME Major?)

So thats the ticket is it!?! Vanderveen's book is it! Here I am scouring the internet for obscure references to rare vehicles while you casually flip a few pages and find them. Not quite cricket is it then! I slave over a hot c.r.t. all day so you can come home, grab a stout, put on the telly to watch the bleedin' Millwall Lions lose again knowing full well that you can simply pick up Laird-upper-class-twit-of-the-year Vanderveen's bloody book and find a reference to any vehicle you want!?! That's it, off with the lot of you then! Bunch of tossers!

Sorry, I'm not quite following your comment re: (What makes you think my ol' man was a REME Major? Explain please.

O.K., now I know what I'm up against. I'm going to have to shift focus in order to stump all y'all!

Round Five of "Name that Vehicle!" is coming up!

(P.S. did you like my Basil Fawlty impression?