MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 14-01-06, 07:44

Default Bren spare barrel question

HI everyone

What the law on owning a Bren spare barrel. Is there anything that has to be done to it so that it would be legal. Does it have to be plugged or is one that is unchange allowed. Since the mags have to be capped at 5 I was unsure at to the barrel

Thanks in advance.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 14-01-06, 17:23

Default Barrel

Nope. Barrel is OK. But don't put it in a Bren. (That's the catch)
Old 14-01-06, 21:59

Thanks Peter

We weren't sure if it woudl be ok or not. It will just be going in the spare barrel bin for my Universal carrier.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 15-01-06, 02:06
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Bren spare barrel question

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan Baker
HI everyone

What the law on owning a Bren spare barrel. Is there anything that has to be done to it so that it would be legal. Does it have to be plugged or is one that is unchange allowed. Since the mags have to be capped at 5 I was unsure at to the barrel

Thanks in advance.

Always remember, both in Canada and the U.S., it's the receiver that gets the cops, R.C.M.P., B.A.T.F. wet.
Old 15-01-06, 15:28

Default Although technically...

Jordan,

You'll never have a problem (I know, never say never) with a Bren barrel in your carrier for display, etc....but since you'll never be using it "for real" there is no harm in welding a steel rod into the barrel and plugging the gas port, just to be on the safe/legal side.

Technically, owning ANY part to a prohibited firearm could be grounds for breaking the firearms rules...now, would anyone call you on it? Probably not, but as has been said, better safe than sorry. You know as well as I do there are always people looking for things at our kinds of events

Tim
Old 15-01-06, 16:37
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Respectfully Tim, I totally disagree with you on this.
After all the crap we have had to put up with from the government on gun control issues, I personally see the outright distruction of any of these things as a total waste which is exactly what the gov't wants us to do. Run scared, be scared, worry about the "man" etc etc. Stand up for your rights as a Canadian.
It is high time that citizens stand up for themselves and don't be bullied around.
Jordan, a barrel is not a gun. A deactivated firearm is not a gun. A magazine properly limited is OK as is a sling, a sight, a stock etc.
Why does everyone worry about interpretations of law instead of the facts and what the spirit of the law actually is. Too many people put their own spin on how the law reads.
Do us a favour Jordan, if you're going to weld up a barrel. Make sure it's a shot out piece of junk instead of wrecking a good one for display. Remember, they don't make them anymore.
Rant over...

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 15-01-06, 18:18

Default Agree Chris...

Chris,

No offence taken at all (if worried about that)

I agree with you, that we should not HAVE to worry about "modifying" firearm parts to satisfy stupid gun laws, but the fact remains that we DO need to be law-abiding citizens and follow the rules of the law.

We all know that laws are open to the interpretation of lawyers/judges, and what is allowed to pass as a dewat is at the whim of what the RCMP deems they could "reactivate", but by my mind it's better to err on the side of caution. Interpreting laws as they pertain to firearms usually leans towards the negative side of things, whether we like it or not. It's not fear-mongering, rather stating fact.

I'm not suggesting Jordan cut the barrel in four pieces, replace a section of barrel with PVC and paint it pink, but permanent modification done to an artifact that has no cosmetic effect on said item...I don't see where the huge issue is. Difference of opinion Chris, I'm sure.

Jordan, rather than taking the advice of all the "experts" on the forum (myself included) why not contact the CFC http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/default_e.asp, or the local CFO (chief firearms officer) http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/compliance...st_e.asp?PC=ON and ask the people most directly involved in it, either by phone or e-mail. And if they say you can have it, make sure to get it in writing...I'm sure we'd all be quite interested to see what is said.

Oh, and while you're browsing around the CFC site, why not check out http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/compliance...contacts_e.asp to inquire about taking your firearms course

Tim
Old 15-01-06, 21:36
In Vino Veritas

Default guns control

As I have read the law and as Clive has explained it , the law though restrictive by my standards seems straight forward. However , then you have legal amateurs, policemen, applying it. They haven't spent 4 years in U and several years articling in the law to fully understand it and its implications. I have witnessed many episodes of going through the annual law book looking for different laws we could charge a particularly nasty person with so as to pad the charges. It works well, guy gets 6 ridiculous charges
gets 5 droppped if he will plead to the last. Britian uses laywers to charge people not policemen, this way the charge is more likely to stick because
Old 17-01-06, 01:02
BIG MIKE

Jordan just Plug the gas port inside the barrel it'll make it perfectly legal then, heres a cool way to do it, if you notice on the middle of barrel thier is a gas port, drill the top of barrel rite above the gas port, then put a pin in the little gas hole then resoder and and file smooth, now the barrel is pluged, only way to tell is dropping a cleaning rod down and listen for the pin, but you can't tell from the outside. makes it look good

Cheers BIG MIKE