MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 04-05-05, 13:26

Default Appeal to SD&G Veterans who were in the Netherlands 1944 - 1946

There was a discussion on this site (see "Identification", march 15th. 2005) about the attached picture of 155 Canadian Soldiers at Hilversum, the Netherlands May / June 1945.
I want to thank everyone who took part to the discussion.

At the CanadianClub in Apeldoorn, today a centre for Canadian Veterans who visit our country to commemorate and celebrate the liberation of the Netherlands, this picture (size 90 cm width) is Identified as SD&G by some Veterans.

Because the soldiers on the picure are Identified as the Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Highlanders, I want to search more directly for SD&G Veterans who served in the Canadian Army during WWII and even maby till 1946/1947. Particullary those SD&G-soldiers who were in the Netherlands in 1945.

On sunday there will be the "Great Parade", starting as always arround "Paleis Het Loo". I'll take a look at all the headdresses of the Candadian Veterans and see if there's anyone with a SD&G-badge. My (video)camera is my compagnon and I hope to be "fortune's favourite" that day . . .
It will be very, very crowdy at the Loolaan and all the places where the Canadian Veterans will come. Not only elder people, but also lots and lots of children. We will proudly honour them as our Liberators and hope they will have the most beautiful day in their lives.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-06, 17:14

Default Still searching for 71 SD&G Highlanders - Hilversum 1945, the Netherlands.

If you want to support me with the identification of 155 SD&G Highanders, you're heartily welcome!
So far - in October 20th, 2005 five Veterans recognized 40 soldiers bij name - today January 7th 2006 the’re 84 names. A real miracle after 60 years! The photo of the 155 SD&G Highlanders - 9th. Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Division - was made in Hilversum, the Netherlands, between May 19th and June 14th, 1945. The Army-unit was part of the 1st Battalion.
I need the assistance of Canadian Veterans and / or Relatives of Veterans, to identify the remaining 71 soldiers by name, both for the Canadian War Museum and the Municipal Archives in Hilversum, the Netherlands.
If you know a Glengarrian yourself or you are related to a SD&G Highlander, it's worth trying to look at the URL-address:

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read...-10/1128957780

On the site you’ll find information where you can find the enlargement of the original photo of the 155 SD&G-Highlanders for an easy identification and my e-mail address.
If you recognize a soldier you can connect the Name to the Number. Underneeth is the list of names and personal numbers so far - 84 SD&G Highlanders - arranged by Alphabeth.
In case you recognize a soldier by name and if you want a reproduction of the original image, I can send you a jpg-file (which is of a perfect quality) by e-mail or a print in the original size: 23,5 x 16,5 cm, by mail.

Listed 84 soldiers of the Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry Highlanders - January 6th, 2006:
41 Alberico ED - 103 Andre JV Lt. - 139 Andrusek FG - 146 Annable GN - 93 Argue JH - 14 Armstrong AJ - 4 Arnold HT. -74 Beaupre OL or WR - 152 Beaven WJ - 154 Blakely DT - 75 Bloom WJ - 56 Bautovich SS - 142 Bowen GM Sgt. - 91 Bridson FR - 80 Brum GW - 141 Buck KA - 65 Cameron CF - 77 Carter - 71 Cassidy - 9 Clapper FG - 6 Cole LH - 72 Coleman CB - 52 Cox WJ - 38 Cripps EC - 32 Davis GE Sgt - 145 Denny DE - 100 Donihee JP Maj - 36 Doucette L ‘Frenchie’ - 78 Dunford FJ - 34 Duplante R - 51 Eligh GL - 33 Elliott - 106 Elliston HG Corp - 97 Fairs R - 140 Ferguson CF - 67 Ford - 138 Fraser AB - 46 Gale JF - 101 Gault RB Capt - 102 Gavin AT Lt - 90 Green WO - 148 Griffith (-Cochrane RC ?) Corp - 79 Grondin WM - 69 Hubbard TJ - 63 Hummel R - 76 Hurst HW - 44 Jamieson MB - 55 Jones - 70 Jones KJ - 8 Jordan JW - 7 Kowa W - 5 Lalonde CJ - 149 Lapierre N - 104 Leslie SJ Lt - 57 Matheson W. E. - 144 Menzies LS - 66 Merpaw WGA - 62 Miller RE Corp - 136 Morrison DH - 82 Murphy “The Wild Man from Cape Breton” - 94 Newman GE - 68 Patterson - 116 Paudash GR - 83 Pekeskle AT - 37 Picken MA - 151 Poitras A - 61 Post CA Sgt - 43 Poupore JR - 88 Quibell LP - 48 Raymond - 73 Reniere RE - 85 Robicheau NJ - 87 Scott CJ - 47 Seguin - 81 Sisson - 40 Stanley - 50 Stevenson EC - 153 Taillon GLP - 86 Tennian TJ - 92 Wallace WA - 60 Watson - 35 White - 99 Wilson F. Lt - 84 Zurbrigg RA.
Old 07-01-06, 20:11
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Still searching for 71 SD&G Highlanders - Hilversum 1945, the Netherlands.

Quote:
Originally posted by Wigger K. F. van der Horst
- 4 Arnold HT.
Hi Wigger;

The Soldier identified as Number 4, Arnold, H.T., is my Uncle Herb who served with the SD&Gs. Herb is still alive and living in Stoney Creek (formerly Saltfleet), Ontario, Canada, where he as resided since returning to Canada in 1946. Herb was born and raised in Hamilton, Ontario. It was through Herb, that his sister (my mother), met my father.

My Uncle Herb:
Attached Images

Old 07-01-06, 20:44

Smile You're still there, Mr. Tonner!

I do remember you, Mr. Tonner as one of the first persons who took part of the Identification of the photo where you found your uncle - #4 SD&G Highlander Arnold. I fact it was THE mayor step in the right direction. Also there's still a lot of support of Canadian Veterans and relatives, which made it possible to find the 84 names.

However, the're 7 names not listed, because there was no match with one of the 155 SD&GH'rs. But they must be somewhere in the photo! The names are:
Nicholson, Pringle, Hewitt, Phillips, Koffke (is not listed in 'Up the Glens') maybe it's Zoschke or Pranschke. The last two are Wade and Brown.

Would it be possible that your uncle, Mr. Arnold, can remember some soldiers by name? If you want directly to get in touch with me, you can find my e-mail address at the URL site as mentioned in my first message.