MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 29-03-06, 21:37
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default More Morris Stuff

Can someone more knowledgeable than myself please identify the following? This was presented on another forum...

http://63.99.108.76/forums/index.php...pe=post&id=539

Old 29-03-06, 21:45

Default Re: More Morris Stuff

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Can someone more knowledgeable than myself please identify the following? This was presented on another forum...

Geoff,

It is a pre-war Morris Commercial CS8 15 cwt, noting that it has a bumper and no brush guard, also larger headlamps than the wartime Butler type, showing it to be an early model. The plate on the front denotes it to be in Egypt area.

Richard
Old 29-03-06, 21:51
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Thank you Richard, that was fast!
Old 01-04-06, 23:30
former Resident Historian

Default Egyptian?

Just got back from two weeks in deepest, darkest mountainous Cumbria. It's a 15-cwt C.S.8 Series II? or III? However I am betting that it is one of those sent out to Egypt from 1935 onwards. The 1936 and 1937 WD Trials Reports refer to them and I mention them in turn in VINTAGE ROADSCENE magazine, Military Scene. Problems were experienced with sand ingestion that ruined engines rapidly, and this was partly alleviated by new air filters. Lessons learned...
Old 02-04-06, 01:04

Couldn't resist looking up old photos for Keith Webb when he posted the Morris picture of the upcoming Belfield auction in Victoria.

Attached photo of my first military vehicle on South Stradbroke Island, near Queensland Gold Coast. Early 60's me aged 14 and 12 year old sister.

We used to hide the vehicle in the bush then go across the two mile bay in our family put-put boat with a battery and drum of fuel. After about 2 hours getting through the sandhills on one sheet of marsden matting at a time (Oh how I wished for four wheel drive!) my mates and I would spend the weekend blasting up and down the 20 miles of deserted surf beach. Camping out under the stars, getting bogged 6 times a day, swimming and driving - what a life for young teenagers!

Parents today would be horrified to see their sons riding a driftwood log attached by rope behind an old army Morris flying along at 30mph down the beach.

We got really stuck once trying to get back up the steep sandhills off the beach and a blitz truck (the only other vehicle on the island) belonging to some fellows who made a living collecting rutile and zircon sand by shovelling it off patches on the beach - they had muscles in their eyebrows - came along. They hooked onto us and even with about 6 tons in the back of their 3 ton Chev made us fly up the hill.

End of Morris enthusiasm, four wheel drive or nothing after that.

Lang
Attached Images