MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 12-09-09, 22:30

Default Question on Defrocked Priests (Colors)

Would a defrocked priest have been in US olive drab?

Or would they have been repainted in another color either before or during the conversion...

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

James
Old 13-09-09, 11:37
MLU Administrator

James,

Hello and welcome to this forum! Please search for Priest Kangaroo for more information about this subject here.

Given the short time and lack of resources available during the conversion, I am pretty sure the Priests were not repainted, and remained US Olive Drab. Ref. http://www.1cacr.org/hist.html

Also see http://web.inter.nl.net/users/spoels...4/apckang2.htm

Regards,
Hanno
Old 13-09-09, 20:40
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Not repainted.

The few photographs that are available of the Priest Kangaroos, show them still painted in the markings of their former units (12, 13, 14th Field Regiments), and would remain so until replaced by converted Rams in October of 1944. The original conversion time for 72 vehicles was just a matter of days, painting them was just not a priority (probably not even considered). It was acknowledged at that time that the conversions were just a temporary measure.

Olive Drab? I dunno, all the evidence I have shows WW2 was just shades of grey??
Attached Thumbnails
Preist_D1_3.jpg  
Old 16-09-09, 03:32

Default Thanks for the assist!

I appreciate the information guys!

Many thanks,

James
Old 16-09-09, 04:11
Anthony Sewards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Miller View Post
The few photographs that are available of the Priest Kangaroos, show them still painted in the markings of their former units (12, 13, 14th Field Regiments), and would remain so until replaced by converted Rams in October of 1944. The original conversion time for 72 vehicles was just a matter of days, painting them was just not a priority (probably not even considered). It was acknowledged at that time that the conversions were just a temporary measure.

Olive Drab? I dunno, all the evidence I have shows WW2 was just shades of grey??
As Bill mentioned above they were still US property had (Lend Lease), once they were replaced by the RAM Kangaroo, they would have been re-gunned and put back into the system. So, they might have the gun trunions still in them were the 105mm guns were mounted on them. Ouch must have been a bumpy ride.........

Cheers

Anthony
Old 21-09-09, 18:12
Paul Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat1 View Post
As Bill mentioned above they were still US property had (Lend Lease), once they were replaced by the RAM Kangaroo, they would have been re-gunned and put back into the system. So, they might have the gun trunions still in them were the 105mm guns were mounted on them. Ouch must have been a bumpy ride.........

Cheers

Anthony
No, the Priest Kangaroos would not likely have been regunned. During the conversions not only were the guns removed, but the carriages, hull support beams, ammo boxes and anything else that got in the way of 10 guys in full kit and then the gun rotor was removed and a flat plate welded back in its place. By Novemeber when the Priests were turned back in they were completely clapped out. Engines needed to be overhauled, trannies & suspensions beat up if not completely replaced due to mines & enemy fire. I'm pretty sure they all went to the depot for salvage & disposal. As lend lease equipment the beancounters would have stricken them off Commonwealth charge at the deopt, handed them formally over to the US beancounter who would have stricken them off the US rolls right there.

Paul
Armor Modeling & Preservation Society
www.amps-armor.org
Old 22-09-09, 05:20
Anthony Sewards

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankmodeler View Post
No, the Priest Kangaroos would not likely have been regunned. During the conversions not only were the guns removed, but the carriages, hull support beams, ammo boxes and anything else that got in the way of 10 guys in full kit and then the gun rotor was removed and a flat plate welded back in its place. By Novemeber when the Priests were turned back in they were completely clapped out. Engines needed to be overhauled, trannies & suspensions beat up if not completely replaced due to mines & enemy fire. I'm pretty sure they all went to the depot for salvage & disposal. As lend lease equipment the beancounters would have stricken them off Commonwealth charge at the deopt, handed them formally over to the US beancounter who would have stricken them off the US rolls right there.
Paul

Do you have any confirmation of the above ?
Old 03-10-09, 00:04
MLU Administrator

This link has some interesting Canadian Priest pictures.

H.