MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 11-09-12, 17:01

Default Out of Province Inspections

Can anyone help???

I need an Out of Province Inspection done on my M38A1 but due to the 24 volt system no one wants to touch it. Does anyone know of a place in or around Edmonton that will look at it?

I want more than a monument..........

Thanks for any help

Wayne
Old 11-09-12, 17:37
carrier mech

I don't think it is your 24volt system that is turning them off, but more likely the fact that it is a vintage vehicle that they will not be able to sell you a bunch of parts for. In this province, more and more inspectors (which have a fixed price set by the province) now include a "mechanical inspection" so they can double the fee charged.

Aside from lights and the security of the batteries and safe condition of the cables, there is little else electrical on a M38A1CDN that would be involved with the inspection. Note however, that technically, a M38A1 is lacking the SAE reflective type tail lenses, and is also short of things like side markers and reflectors, along with the license plate light in order to meet safety standards. As well, things like sunvisors and DOT marked tires are also mandatory on later production M38A1s. I had to take mine to a second inspection station who were not quite as picky to get mine through.

This province also mandates immobilizer installation on out of province vehicles. The insurance company pays for the installation and even gives you a rebate on your premiums. Not sure how they would work the installation on a military 24v vehicle.
Old 11-09-12, 19:45

Thanks Rob

What exactly is a immobilizer and how will it mess up my jeep?
Old 11-09-12, 21:43
carrier mech

I don't think you have to worry about an immobilizer in Alberta. Here in Mb, Winnipeg became the car theft capital of Canada. Part of the problem was thay the police could only use the catch and release program as the 300 or so repeat offenders were usually underage. Manitoba public insurance then began paying to install immobilizers to all older vehicles that did not have them from the factory. Around 2002-2003 factory vehicles were equipped with a small transmitter either in the key or on a keychain that unlocks the security system. I loaned my daughter a 1990 Honda Accord while she was in school in Winnipeg,and MPI sent a letter ordering me to let them install one. They spent $400 plus rebated me $40 a year to protect a car worth maybe $200. All out of province vehicles brought in to MB also have to have them installed.