MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Gun Park

Notices

Old 16-09-07, 23:45
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Arrow 23rd Fld Question for Herb Danter

G'day Herb! I hope you're doing well. Bloody awful the summer's over so quickly, eh? I'm getting to hate southern Ontario...

Herb, I have a question for you -- I received this in email late last night and wonder if your 36 Bty memories include the chap this refers to. I've emailed the sender (the chap's son) to ask specifically which photo he is referring to, as we might be able to ID the particular tank and subjects; I've also directed the fellow to the Archives regarding his father's service records.

If you can toss in any information, I'm sure it would be appreciated! Thanks, Herb.

Geoff

Quote:
I believe that is my father in the turret of this tank. He was a captain in the RCA and a FOO. He was captured August 9th, 1944 and spent the remainder of the war in Oflag 79. He was with the 36th Battery, 23rd Field Regiment.

He died while I was quite young and other than a copy of this same photo where the photographer wrote keep your head up Jack on the back I know very little of his war exploits. I do know he got a ride in Kurt Meyers squad car after he was caught, and Kurt must have been in better mood that day or I wouldn’t be here.

If you have any information on Capt. John M. Donohue, or know how I would go about finding out information on his wartime activities, that would be great.
Old 25-09-07, 22:17

Default Capt John M. Donohue

Geoff. I'm certainly not Herb. However, I have consulted the Regimental History kindly provided to me by Cheryl England and on page 78, under prisoners of war, "Capt. John M. Donohue--Missing Aug. 10, 44, Normandy. Reported PW Oct 44. Safe in Allied hands 14 Apr 45."

On August 8, 1944,..."the armour had run into heavy opposition as they pushed down to Hill 195, and as it turned out practically the entired 28th Armd Regiment had been wiped out in an attempt to by-pass Brette-veille-le-Rabet and reach their objective. Capt Jack Donohue FOO with the 28th and his crew were listed as missing..."

August 10 1944 Hautmesnil: "Along with the bad news came the good. The four members of Capt Donohue's tank crew, Gnrs Lorna Munce, Joe Chaisson, Tim Reardon and George Moule arrived back at the regiment after a harrowing trip by foot after the 28th had been wiped out. Two of them had been captured for a brief while but had freed by our men[sic]. They could give little news of Capt Donohue other than that he had stayed behind."

Hope this helps.

JDCAVE
Old 25-09-07, 22:32
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Thumbs up

Thanks, JD! I appreciate that... I do remember reading about that battle... a bloody disaster, IIRC, because someone got lost...?