MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 21-09-10, 07:13
Dennis Gelean

Default Canadian Military Educational Centre

WW2 History, soon on display a ww2 Horse gas mask display with info (7 different Horse gas masks some very rare) also posters on the elusive Camel gas mask, pigeons and USA dog mask.
The Museum is at the old CFB base Chilliwack (Sardis), Tanks and a lot of heavy armor, Check website.

I had to buy CMP's to carry my gas mask displays
Started with world war gas warfare and soon to be broke.

The man who survived Mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned
Veteran.
Old 21-09-10, 20:01

Default Thanks for the plug dennis

And your humor. Hope to drop by soon.
Old 22-09-10, 02:00
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Gelean View Post
WW2 History, soon on display a ww2 Horse gas mask display with info (7 different Horse gas masks some very rare) also posters on the elusive Camel
gas mask, pigeons and USA dog mask.
The Museum is at the old CFB base Chilliwack (Sardis), Tanks and a lot of heavy armor, Check website.

I had to buy CMP's to carry my gas mask displays
Started with world war gas warfare and soon to be broke.

The man who survived Mustard gas and pepper spray is now a seasoned
Veteran.
All kidding aside.. If there is a gas mask expert out there please contact me about doing a book/booklet through Service Publications.
Clive
Old 22-09-10, 06:24

Default I recommend....

Dennis! He will be under 10 to 20 feet of snow soon with lots of time around the chimney.
Old 22-09-10, 07:18
Dennis Gelean

Default Canadian Military educational centre/clive

Hello, I have a lot of stuff, might be able you help with some info maybe pictures. What country, what war, I will reply.
gelean.tripod.com/geln_militaria.html
my source of inspiration
http://www.nbcd.org.uk peter hibb in UK
my e-mail is dgelean@xplornet.ca

good info on churchill
1. give me a good reason why we should not gas the @#$%^&*'s
2. Aug 4 2010 Churchchill, Churchill "feared panic over UFOs'
Winston Churchill was accused of ordering a cover-up of an
encounter between a UFO and an RAF aircraft in the second World
War because he feared a 'panic' and a loss of faith in religion,
according to newly-released secret files

Don't know how to type this in green.
Old 22-09-10, 19:54
RIP

Canada, any era. Perhaps an overview from WW1 to ???
My Weapons of War series booklets require 6,000-6,500 words of original research, backed up with archival sources. Most have been on vehicle and artillery but I would like to expand the scope to include other fields, including Small Arms, field equipment and Army formations.
To see a list of existing and future titles go to www.servicepub.com/weapons.html
Old 23-09-10, 00:18
Dennis Gelean

Default Canadian Military Educational Centre

Excellent website, how did I not know, bookmarked
Canada was a Mfg. of gas masks for the commonwealth not much change
from WW1 to near the end of WW2.
Veteran captain James Bond (rtd.) volunteer at Vimy house was the real expert,
he worked on gas warfare at Porton Downs in the UK after the war.
Lived in Ottawa. I have some pictures of his from a chat/interview.
Would you include ARP? I have a picture of Canada mfg gas masks from a Asbestos site. ARP is Air raid Precautions and also called Air Raid Patrol.
I have many papers issued for the CD and ARP. I would buy the book.
Referring to Peter (NBCD) he is considered a expert in research and gas warfare.
Old 24-09-10, 07:30

Default Dennis

Dennis has a great collection well worth the look.
I was Honoured to have it at a show I helped put on here on the West Coast.
Jeff
Old 25-09-10, 07:21

Default Gas mask history

Clive,
As a collector of Canadian military equipment I would like to see specific items researched and documented like gas masks as well as other worthy items to cover.For a collector to have a reference book on what he collects is worth it's weight in gold when an item can be properly identified.I have in my Civil Defence collection a Mk VII gas mask bag that has Civil Defence Canada stencilled on the front.I also have a service respirator with A.R.P. stencilled on the cannister and would like to know more details of these items.

Dennis sounds like a good candidate to write that book.
Regards,Derk.
1943 Bantam T-3 1/4 ton trailer
BSA folding airborne bicycle ser#R5325 (early)
Old 25-09-10, 07:46
RIP

Quote:
As a collector of Canadian military equipment I would like to see specific items researched and documented like gas masks as well as other worthy items to cover.For a collector to have a reference book on what he collects is worth it's weight in gold when an item can be properly identified.
Incoming rant
Well, I thought that was what I was doing? I have published over 50 titles in the past 15 years. All of this has been done with no public money, no government grant, no bank loans, nada. Often, the sales haven't recouped the production costs but I felt that the it was important to document the topic as a significant item in Canada's material culture. At times I have seen my work copied without so much as a simple acknowledgement and I very seldom get any recognition for the books that I have either written or published. The same goes for my authors, all of whom are collectors or amateur historians also. In fact, I often get armchair quarterbacks who deny or denigrate facts that I have discovered, preferring instead to repeatedly quote the 'veteran's' story or the gun-show wisdom of collectors who have never done a day's worth of original research in their lives.
Occasionally I get a letter or e-mail from a reader who thanks me for the titles that Service Publications has released. Although I don't do this for the recognition I would be a liar to say that I don't get some encouragement from these rare accolades.
I am fortunate that I have a decent job that allows me to spend my dollars subsidizing my 'hobby-business' (surely the ultimate oxymoron) and a grown-up family that frees up the 6 hours required every evening to run the business.
Rant over

Derk, I have made the offer and I hope that Dennis follows up. I agree that a book on gas-protective equipment would be a valuable resource for collectors. To other niche collectors. If you have the knowledge I have the editors. As it stands I have 6-8 Weapons of War booklets either promised or in the pipeline. I also have 2 'specialty' titles and 8 hard cover books in the works - many of which are already in my PC or close to completion.
Clive
Old 25-09-10, 17:10

Default Reference books

Good morning Clive,
I am sorry if I offended you as that was not my intention.I have many of your publications on my bookshelf bought and paid for and use them often for reference when more information is needed.As a collector,I rely on books to learn more about the items I am interested in collecting and a book on gas masks used by the Canadian army I think would be an item worth researching and documenting for collectors like me.My request for more research books to be done was intended to cover equipment that has yet to be researched and published.I think you do an excellent job of documenting and publishing Canadian military history and equipment and I appreciate your hard work and time you put into the hobby and the people that also spend hours of their own time to write a book to benefit people like me.Please keep up the good work and I am sure,although not said enough,other collectors appreciate your work and efforts as well as the other researchers and their efforts.I hope Dennis writes the book on gas masks as he seems the person for the job!
Regards,Derk.
Old 25-09-10, 17:58
RIP

Hi Derk,
My apologies. The rant wasn't aimed at you. Your post and some recent events coincided and I used the opportunity to get a few things off my chest.
Cheers,
Clive
Old 25-09-10, 21:09
Dennis Gelean

Default Canadian Military educational centre

Yes, we need a gas mask/accessories reference book. I wish I was younger and in better health (lost a eye plus cancer). Canadian gas masks alone would be a very small book. Cdn. accessories would be the gas mask eye glasses, the
test kits,gas rattles (I have 3 different ones) use a cartoon poster for info, eye ointment etc. I would help if required. The German air raid siren I saw at the old CWM is in fact British (made by British boat works) the ID is inside
the cover ( need a gear for mine). I get a lot of static on my gas warfare displays. Disaster In Bari,Italy, 3000 died when the Germans bombed a USA cargo
ship in the harbor transporting gas bombs which exploded.
Off the topic again
Old 26-09-10, 04:16

Default Let off steam!

Clive,
I think we all understand when things build up inside.It's important to relieve that pressure.I think your message got through to who it was intended and for the rest of us that appreciate your hard work will continue to support you in any way we can.I wish I was good at researching but have always relied on other peoples publications to do my research.That is why I appreciate when topics are researched and documented so people like myself have a reference book to go to for information.
Dennis,
It's too bad you are not up to the task of writing the book.Somebody I hope takes up this task and with all the collectors on the forum that have gas equipment artifacts in their collection can supply pictures and any info they may have on it.I have many pieces in my collection but do not know the whole story behind the Manufacture,training,soldiers being issued and proper wearing and use other than the label on the items themselves.

Old 26-09-10, 04:17

Default more

Regards,Derk.
Old 19-10-10, 22:11
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Another attempt to stamp out our historical vehiocles.

There are numbers and people to call listed in this news release and I suggest we all take a little time out and call these people listed personally ..In Canada anyway.

Nasty ..!!

Right Hand Drive Vehicles Have no Place on our Roads: Canadian Auto Dealers Association

OTTAWA, Oct. 19 /CNW/ -

WHO: Mr. Richard C. Gauthier, President and CEO of the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association (CADA);
Mr. Neil W. Kalawsky, Chairman of CADA.

WHAT: CADA is calling on the federal government to close a regulatory loophole that puts us at odds with major trading partners and allows thousands of dirty and unsafe right hand drive vehicles into Canada every year.

WHERE: Charles Lynch Room, Parliament Hill, Ottawa

WHEN: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 1:45 p.m.

WHY: CADA is seeking the government's support due to the negative environmental impact and added danger associated with the proliferation of right hand drive vehicles on Canadian roads.

INTERVIEW OPPORTUNITIES: Mr. Richard C. Gauthier
President and CEO of CADA
Mr. Neil W. Kalawsky
Chairman of CADA

For further information:

or assistance in reaching interview subjects, please contact Emily Reid at 1-800-465-3054 or 613-230-2079 or by e-mail atereid@cada.ca

Old 19-10-10, 22:26
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
... dirty and unsafe right hand drive vehicles ....
Talk about off-point and gerneralization. These are words meant to sway and are completely irrelevant to the issue of right-hand drive vehicles. Coming from both a Mil Veh background and a British sports car background I am unaware of any catastrophic events that would cause the government to review current policy.
I believe that Quebec effectively banned these just recently but am unaware if that was aimed at new imports or the existing inventory.
Better get the OMVA and other orgs to contact the provincial authorities ASAP.

Clive
Old 19-10-10, 22:46
Terry Warner

Default Modern NBCW kit

There is a modern tie in with resperator eyeglasses and now the optical insert for the latest mask. In the twenty yrs since Gulf War One, the Canadians have issued probably three models of resperator, two kinds of carrier, decontamination mitts, lotion packs and a couple of eyeglasses types. The IPE ("nuke") bags were the stylish small pack for a long time. Yup Clive, there is room for a book here.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 20-10-10, 20:50

Default Hi jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Talk about off-point and generalization. These are words meant to sway and are completely irrelevant to the issue of right-hand drive vehicles. Coming from both a Mil Veh background and a British sports car background I am unaware of any catastrophic events that would cause the government to review current policy.
I believe that Quebec effectively banned these just recently but am unaware if that was aimed at new imports or the existing inventory.
Better get the OMVA and other orgs to contact the provincial authorities ASAP.

Clive
Clive..
Sorry to hijack this thread but couldn't find another place for this topic..maybe Jif or Hanno can separate this out..
but the Mother fu*kers are still at it...
Out again this afternoon..

Right Hand Drive Vehicles Have no Place on our Roads: Canadian Auto Dealers Association

Association Calls for Closing of Regulatory Loophole

OTTAWA, Oct. 20 /CNW/ - Today, the Canadian Automobile Dealers Association (CADA), which represents over 3,300 dealers nationwide, is calling on the federal government to close a regulatory loophole that allows thousands of dirty and unsafe right hand drive (RHD) vehicles into Canada every year.

"Recent years have seen a dramatic increase in the number of right hand drive vehicles in Canada," said Richard Gauthier, President and CEO of CADA. "These cars are imported under a regulatory loophole that allows vehicles older than 15 years of age to enter the country without complying with the Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety standards or national environmental standards."

The 15-year exclusion rule for the imposition of Canada's safety and environmental standards on imported cars was introduced at a time when 15-year-old vehicles were very rare, to continue to allow antiques to be imported into Canada. It is under this loophole that all RHD vehicles currently enter Canada.

"A 15-year-old car is no longer an antique," continued Mr. Gauthier. "The vast majority of vehicles on the road today reach their 15th birthday and beyond. What's more, RHD vehicles are as much as 40 per cent more likely to be involved in an accident than traditional left hand drive cars. They are often used for street racing and other reckless acts. One was involved in a tragic accident in Ottawa this summer in which the young parents of three girls were killed."

The provinces of Quebec and Prince Edward Island have already acted to stem the tide of RHD cars on their roads. CADA is calling on the federal government to act on behalf of all Canadians to increase the threshold for the suspension of environmental and safety regulations from 15 to 25 years.

"This is a very simple fix for the federal government and would bring us into line with our trading partners," said Mr. Gauthier. "America and Australia have moved to 25 years and until Canada does the same, it will continue to be a dumping ground for dirty, old and unsafe RHD vehicles from Asian countries. Keeping them out of Canada is the right thing to do for the safety of Canadian drivers and for the quality of the air that we breathe."

The Canadian Automobile Dealers Association (CADA) is the national association for franchised automobile dealerships that sell new cars and trucks. Our 3,300 dealers represent a key sector of Canada's economy. Through our dealers, we are represented in nearly every community and those dealers collectively employ over 130,000 people across the country.

For further information:

Emily Reid
CADA Public Affairs
Phone: 613-230-2079
Email: ereid@cada.ca
Old 20-10-10, 21:13
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Clive..
Sorry to hijack this thread but couldn't find another place for this topic..
Alex, my comment about "off-point" was aimed at the language used by
CADA, i.e., "dirty and unsafe" and not at you for posting here. Good idea though to have the mods carve this out into its own topic as I can see this going on for a while.
Clive
Old 20-10-10, 22:14

Default Dirty and unsafe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Alex, my comment about "off-point" was aimed at the language used by
CADA, i.e., "dirty and unsafe" and not at you for posting here. Good idea though to have the mods carve this out into its own topic as I can see this going on for a while.
Clive
Jeez Clive..
You should of known me BEFORE I cleaned up my act..
WE better get together at Gracies..as soon as Young Law is around..
Can't remember if we initiated him or not..
But I feel a ragin' thirst coming on...
Old 23-10-10, 18:45

Default back to gas masks

Back to gas masks.

My Grandfather was a lead driver with the Royal Canadian Artillery in WW1 and they use to fill a feed bag with hay for the horses to serve as a gas mask.

He was unable to ride with the hood gas mask so they use to take the mouthpiece out and stick that in their mouth and ride through the gas. He said that their mouth would be black from the charcoal afterwards.

If you wish this info for the book Clive let me know. I also have some test radio attachments for the newer style gas mask. I actually had a black version of the newer gas mask, but as it was slashed i traded it for a green one. Now the black ones are extremely hard to find if not impossible.

Thanks
Eric
Old 23-10-10, 18:53

Default Nbc

OH I also forgot i have lots of NBC equipment as well. The Dieffenbunker also has items of interest.

There is a good book on the Canadian Manufacture of of Chemical and Biological warfare in WW2. I beleive it is called Canada Secret War. It was a very good read and eye opening.

Gross Illes in QC as well as Suffield were a result of this experimentation. Which Canada was the lead in.

We were able to come up eventually with the antidote to the German Gas.

Thank goodness they did not have it as they could have wiped out the allies numerous times prior to us finding the antidote. Even then we did not make enough of it to get to the field.

Eric
Old 24-10-10, 08:26
Dennis Gelean

Default Gas thread

Text from the excellent book "Corvette Navy" the haunting story of men plucked in good health and spirit from a sinking ship by the escort Minas, in a matter of minutes they lay dead. Their Merchant ship had been carrying containers of poison gas for storage in the UK for retaliatory use in the event of a Nazi gas attack The torpedoing had released some of this fearful gas,
they were all doomed. add this to the Bari Italy incident and we can conclude
that both sides knew there was enough stockpiles of gas to kill everyone.

part of a chemical officer job was to check captured filters for changes, British civilian filters kept being added to, till they would not fit custom made carriers.

The USN did gas drills on their ships.