MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 17-07-12, 14:49

Default Suitable replacement for a Chev CMP fuel pump and brake cylinder?

Hey all,
My restoration has finally begun. However the brake master cylinder is... missing. I'm not sure how the previous owner used to stop the truck (it was used as a snowblower) but the cylinder is gone.

Also, the fuel pump is seized.

If anyone has reccomendations as to suitable replacements for these, I'd appreciate the suggestions.

Cheers!
Old 17-07-12, 15:33

The fuel pump is pretty much the same for the 216/235/261 chev motors, readily available from Jimmy Carter, Tim Tygart, Chevs of the 40s, Rockauto, NAPA and probably others. The originals had the glass sight bowl (or a metal equivalent) but the later one piece metal pumps are functionally similar. You are better off if you can get the version with inlet and outlet in a straight line parallel to the block. Also, resist the temptation to use the combination fuel/vacuum pump due to space limitations.

The master cylinder is more of a challenge. The original is mounted by 2 studs out of the bottom of the casting, slightly staggered on a fore and aft axis. The basic shape is available from suppliers but not often in the required 1-1/4 inch diameter (and I'm not comfortable with the idea of boring out the casting meant for a 1 inch diameter to 1-1/4 inch since they are visually different sizes).
Old 18-07-12, 03:24

Default Best bet on the MC

They are so hard to find..... the best bet is to salvage one from another CMP donor and have the master cylinder rebuilt with a Stainless steel sleeve....

Cost is about $200 from John Stuart in Stoney Creek Ontario...... and should be good for your life....

Bob
Canada