MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 09-03-08, 13:12
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Mk1 Universal Carrier found

This little beauty has just been released from "agricultural retirement" and will shortly be the subject of restoration efforts, although probably not in time for Corowa 2008, "Year of the Tracked Vehicle"!

Although the upper armour has been removed, the lower hull is very straight and rust-free (except surface rust!) The front driving compartment is fairly intact, but no steering wheel is included, as it was given away some years ago! Also missing is the whole rear Axle/Diff, can someone confirm if this is a standard Ford Truck unit, or particular to Carriers?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4763.JPG   IMG_4765.JPG   IMG_4767.JPG  
Old 09-03-08, 13:28
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The data plate remains, showing WD No T58482 (Nigel Watson, does this number appear in your extensive records? ), and painted on the front lower glacis plate there is what appears to be a 7 digit number, best guesstimate being 4213488 (I've shown this No both dry and wet, but can't read it any better. Any suggestions?)

On the Hull sides inboard of the centre roadwheel are the numerals 348 painted in large red paint. A highly peculiar position, as it would be covered by the metal track guards, the upper track and the roadwheel itself, but it appears to be well laid out professionally (not done with a house brush!), lending credence to it being official. If 348 is supposed to represent the last 3 digits of the number, perhaps it is 421348 painted twice with the lower coat showing through. This number is still a mystery, as although Aust Army Registration Numbers were 6 digits, they were not higher than 2xxxxx.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4773.JPG   number.jpg   IMG_4766.JPG   IMG_4768.JPG   IMG_4769.JPG  

Last edited by Tony Smith; 09-03-08 at 13:40.
Old 09-03-08, 13:39
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Also supplied with the Carrier was this gearbox. While the gear selector mechanism is plainly Carrier, I am only familiar with Aust LP carrier boxes and have to ask if the rear bearing retainer is of the correct type for this carrier? Should it have a "Foot" to support the rear of the Eng/G'box assy, and where does the Speedo cable connect to?

There are sufficient suspension units and roadwheels, but the rubber on some are just too shocking to show. The wheels have casting marks of JM1941. Who might this be?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4786.JPG   IMG_4787.JPG   IMG_4788.JPG   IMG_4789.JPG  
Old 09-03-08, 13:44
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Now comes the begging:

How many of these British built Carriers are getting about in Aust? Any pics of a Universal Carrier in Australian service, or known ARN's?

Who might have some leads on a rear diff, a running 21 stud 85hp motor, upper armour (Who was doing the CAD drawings of the various armour pieces? Can't find the thread), and an engine cover?
Old 09-03-08, 15:19

Tony,

That is the correct gearbox for the carrier. There is an extension off the rear diff which houses the speedo drive. There is no "Foot" to support it like the Aussie carriers have.

You can find reference to the CAD drawings here...

http://www.mapleleafup.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9261

A word of caution on these drawings...I had purchased a shutter kit from the same fellow a few years ago only to find out the shutters were not even close to the originals on my mk I. Looked close, but thats where it ended. I suspect you may find the same problem with these drawings.

The rear axel/diff is just a standard Ford 3ton split rear diff assy.
Old 09-03-08, 15:29

Hi Tony,

I looked at those stencilled numbers and think the first digit might be a figure 1 and not a 4. If that is so, then it probably is an ARN.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 10-03-08, 04:17
Andrew

Hi tony
If it is your project and you get stuck I have a english built fordson 21 stud
v8 complete sitting in the shed .Havent tried to start it but it looks like it would . About the right vintage too. (if its compatable ) there is a picture of it in cab 12 thread

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 10-03-08, 08:38
C8AX Ambulance (NZ), UC1*

Default Rear axle to gearbox

This pic shows the set up with the cast extension on the rear axle protuding forward, and the round collar on the back of the gearbox mating to it.

I notice there is no gear on your gearbox outbox shaft - this fits to a matching female gear on the axle pinion.

The brake backing plates have a flange that bolts to the rear edge of the hull side plates, supporting the ends of the axle.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
axle to gbox.jpg  
Old 22-06-08, 13:11
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
On the Hull sides inboard of the centre roadwheel are the numerals 348 painted in large red paint. A highly peculiar position, as it would be covered by the metal track guards, the upper track and the roadwheel itself, but it appears to be well laid out professionally (not done with a house brush!), lending credence to it being official.

The mystery deepens! T58471, being 11 WD Nos earlier than this carrier has the numbers "336" painted in the same location as the "348" on this carrier. The contract that these 2 carriers were built was for 360 Mortar Carriers, but T58471 was 246th in the order, and T58482 was 257th.

Does ANYONE have ANY pics showing a carrier of any nation with numbers in this location on the side of the hull behind the tracks? Thinking that these 2 carriers might have probably come back from North Africa, I'd be keen on seeing any pics of English, Indian, South African or Polish carriers with 7 digit serial numbers OTHER than the WD number.

Last edited by Tony Smith; 22-06-08 at 13:23.
Old 02-07-08, 13:25
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Beale View Post
This pic shows the set up with the cast extension on the rear axle protuding forward, and the round collar on the back of the gearbox mating to it.

I notice there is no gear on your gearbox outbox shaft - this fits to a matching female gear on the axle pinion.

Rob
A Carrier rear axle assembly has been found, but as Rob has said, we're now in need of the dog gear that goes on the output of the gearbox and meshes inside the splines of the gear on the diff pinion. With 6 internal splines and 16 external teeth, would this have used a gear from in the gearbox, namely the sliding 1st-Rev gear?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4738.JPG   IMG_4739.JPG   IMG_4787.JPG  

Last edited by Tony Smith; 02-07-08 at 13:33.
Old 02-07-08, 13:34
Bluebell

This is what you want. No it's not the same as a gearbox internal gear.
Attached Thumbnails
carrier_bits_010.jpg  

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....

Last edited by Lynn Eades; 02-07-08 at 13:38. Reason: I wanted to add more.
Old 02-07-08, 14:08
Andrew

If you cant locate an original there is a place called maspro engineering in condobolin ph no. 68953913 that can make almost any gear to whatever spec you need (even worm gears )
They do a very good job
maybe not the cheapest option though

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 30-12-08, 02:13

Default BIG RED Numbers on the sides of Hull's

Quote:
Does ANYONE have ANY pics showing a carrier of any nation with numbers in this location on the side of the hull behind the tracks? Thinking that these 2 carriers might have probably come back from North Africa, I'd be keen on seeing any pics of English, Indian, South African or Polish carriers with 7 digit serial numbers OTHER than the WD number.
Tony, have you any news on these big RED numbers painted on the side of carrier hulls. I'm cleaning up an old British MkI hull, likely by the bits off it, made by Wolseley. It has the RED numbers 1166 painted on the side from the rear suspension back, the numbers are 325mm high, 40mm thick. I'd post a photo but you just can't see anything with the camera.

Brian
Old 30-12-08, 02:24
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
The mystery deepens! T58471, being 11 WD Nos earlier than this carrier has the numbers "336" painted in the same location as the "348" on this carrier. The contract that these 2 carriers were built was for 360 Mortar Carriers, but T58471 was 246th in the order, and T58482 was 257th.
That's interesting, Brian! No I haven't found any more, just the supposition above that somehow the numbers may have been some factory job number for the hulls. Yours, showing 1166, if it is a factory job number, must have been from a much larger contract. Of course, these numbers could have absolutly nothing to do with factory numbering of hulls under construction, and could be for an entirely different reason! Any indication from the body as to what type of carrier it may be?
Old 30-12-08, 02:40

Tony, I can't positively identify it, but the Wolseley contract I think it's from was for 2000, contract 2251, the same contract my carrier is from, plus I've come across (3) other plates/carriers from this contract here in NZ, so I believe it's a Mortar Carrier.
Old 30-12-08, 16:13
British Indian Army

Default T58482

Quote:
The data plate remains, showing WD No T58482 (Nigel Watson, does this number appear in your extensive records? ), and painted on the front lower glacis plate there is what appears to be a 7 digit number, best guesstimate being 4213488 (I've shown this No both dry and wet, but can't read it any better. Any suggestions?)

On the Hull sides inboard of the centre roadwheel are the numerals 348 painted in large red paint. A highly peculiar position, as it would be covered by the metal track guards, the upper track and the roadwheel itself, but it appears to be well laid out professionally (not done with a house brush!), lending credence to it being official. If 348 is supposed to represent the last 3 digits of the number, perhaps it is 421348 painted twice with the lower coat showing through. This number is still a mystery, as although Aust Army Registration Numbers were 6 digits, they were not higher than 2xxxxx.
Hi Tony
Sorry not been on for a while. Working on my MkI* V8!!! T58482 was built by Sentinel Wagon between 17th March 1941 and 19th November 1941. It was built as a Universal Carrier 3" Mortar to contract T2035 of which 360 were built with WD Nos. from T58225-58584. Nice find and I look forward to seeing its rebuild.

I note the discussion re large numbers on the lower hulls. I have come across nothing official that identifies what these were for, however I have come across them over here as well. I suspect they may have been hull numbers chalked/painted on in the factories to identify which hull was for which type of carrier, then painted over. I do not think they were anything to do with the actual Hull No., lower or upper, that was stamped on the carriers as these were most likely done after the carrier was assembled in part. I would be fantastic if suddenly we could find a plate/stamping that showed this large number alongside an official one. We live in hope!

Hope you all have a guid hogmanay

Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 30-12-08, 18:54
Richard Harrison

being a sentinel item its a shame it is not back on UK soil as the main gates at Sentinel are still standing and a restored carrier stood at the gates would make for a fantastic cover shot / story in say.....MV magazine