MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 19-04-10, 10:22
Richard Harrison

Default Registering a carrier in the UK

Ok folks i am currently trying to register my carrier, i have the form V55/5, what else do i need ? i have put the lower hull number down for its chassis, does someone have to come around and verify this thing ? no offence but i dont think the DVLA will know what they were looking at ?

for those that registered theyre carriers here in the UK, what did you put for unladen weight etc ? did you go from the books or actually get your carriers weighed ?

how much does it cost and how long does it take ?

wonder if i could pull some strings and get the reg FME 862

anyone any tips on registering ?

cheers guys

Richie

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 19-04-10, 19:37
Richard Harrison

Ok... thanks for the call Martyn...

to register your carrier in the UK it seems you need to complete the carbonated form V55/5, you need to retain proof that you have paid the "DUTY" for the carrier if it has been purchased outside mainland UK, and finally you need a letter from an approved MV organisation to confirm the vehicle is what it is.

then along with £55 of your drinking vouchers you go to local DVLA office and pay up.

so who to verify my carrier ? I am looking your way Malcolm... if not Nigel would you do it for a 30yr old malt when you come down with your engines ?

Richie

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 19-04-10, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
so who to verify my carrier ? I am looking your way Malcolm... if not Nigel would you do it for a 30yr old malt when you come down with your engines ?

Richard,

You will need to contact the Military Vehicle Trust as they are approved by DVLA and will have knowledge of what numbers are correct and where to find them. If you are not a member, I think a small fee is required. This then dates your vehicle and the letter recieved from them after inspection is then taken to DVLA with the V55 form. It is likely that they may wish to inspect the carrier, but only to verify the engine and chassis numbers.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 19-04-10, 23:55

Hello, how do you register the carrier in the UK, as a passenger car?

Greetz Hendrik
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 21-04-10, 17:47
Richard Harrison

no it would be registered as a tracked vehicle or "crawler"

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 22-04-10, 22:36

Default Use full info

Hi mate this is what my log book says starting at the top

Make - Ford
Body Type - Special purpose
Tax Class - Historic
Revenue Weight - 3500.0 K.G. Unladen
Engine CC - 3000cc
Fuel - Petrol
Wheelplan - Crawler
Chassie Number - 298***
Engine number -
Colour - Green

Make - FORD
Date of first reg - 2009 ( DECL/D MANUF 1943)

we had a letter from the MVT and the fee for dvla.

I know the engine details are prob wrong but when i filled my forms out for the daimler they had the colour as silver ? took ages to change that......

hope this helps
Old 23-04-10, 14:17

Even though I type my forms they always seem to make mistakes on inputing.

They got my surname wrong on one vehicle and insisted on putting me down as the second owner from new when they corrected it.
Old 27-04-10, 23:01
British Indian Army

Default Dram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Farrant View Post
Richard,

You will need to contact the Military Vehicle Trust as they are approved by DVLA and will have knowledge of what numbers are correct and where to find them. If you are not a member, I think a small fee is required. This then dates your vehicle and the letter recieved from them after inspection is then taken to DVLA with the V55 form. It is likely that they may wish to inspect the carrier, but only to verify the engine and chassis numbers.
Dam there goes my wee dram!!!

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 28-04-10, 10:54
Richard Harrison

Nigel i am sure you are more than qualified matey, i will ask at the local DVLA office if they give the thumbs up, when we meet up i will trade you a nip or two for your time

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 28-04-10, 11:01

There is a list of approved clubs (including the IMPS) held by the DVLA so Nigel is unlikely to be acceptable.

One office I used years ago would not even accept a letter from Bovington as they were not on the list.
Old 30-04-10, 20:11

Default Dvla

When i was trying to sort out my Daimler Armoured Car i asked DVLA who i could use to get a letter from they looked at there list and said the MVT i asked who in the MVT and got no reply so i got my local mvt to sort out a letter it was rejected so went to the local vintage bus museum and asked them it too was rejected, so i went back to DVLA and asked who can i get to check this vehicle and sort a letter out they said again the MVT what they didnt tell me till i saw the chaps list was that they would only accept the MVT's letter if it was from the name on there list they wouldnt tell me who it was, he put the list down to get sumthing and i saw who it was they had listed - John Marchant as the MVT vehicle inspector he hasnt done them for years, Well i know john as had a few bits off him for it in the past he wrote me a letter and all was fine DVLA are a law unto them selfs at times they seem to like to make simple things hard then they wanted me to drive the vehicle 12 miles in to town with no number plates, tax disk or anything for them just to see it , when i said it has a 2pounder gun and the royal mail sorting office is next door and do you think thats a good idea and you can explain that to the boys in blue that you just wanted to see it i left it with DVLA and two days later had a phone call telling me all the paper work was ready for collection tax disk and reg number. Stand your ground with them mate and you will be fine.......
Old 12-05-10, 13:08
Richard Harrison

went into local DVLA office in my best suite and they have authorised Nigel to provide a letter, they asked "does he know what he is talking about" i pulled out his books and got "Oh bloody hell yes he does", it was frustrating as the DVLA are so hit and miss, they began to tell me i needed an MOT until i corrected them, i got the we will speak with VOSA so i handed them my phone and said here ring em they are on my speed dial..... needless to say you dont need an MOT so dont be duped into trying to get one !

all you need is:-
* The letter for proof of age and proof of vehicle type,
* A certificate of insurance (you have to use the hull numbers for this)
* Completed form V55/5
* Completed form VAT14 (prove i have paid duty on the vehicle as its an import)
* £55.00 admin fee

and Voila.

cheers folks

Richie

PS do NOT try and Bullsh** them, do NOT try and pass the vehicle off as something it is not, be candid and honest but firm with it, as a military vehicle it falls to so many more exemptions than regular vehicles do. you wont get penalised for it having a military backround, however for those with the big stuff, MBT.s , CVRT's, or any vehicle with a main gun, you must also provide with the above a valid DEMIL certificate for any armament that the vehicle is fitted with. There were rumours circulating that the tracks need to be modified to conform, this is not true both the pitch and contact ground presure are well within the legal guidelines. I have confirmed this with VOSA.

in the case of DEMIL certs this would be a case of carrying your Certs for brens / boys etc with you when you go to shows, but these are not needed to register the machine as they are not permemantly fixed to / or form part of the machine itself, more a mandatory ancilliary har har har

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131

Last edited by RichardT10829; 21-05-10 at 21:24.
Old 12-05-10, 13:23

I think the staff at this centre have broken their own rules accepting Nigels letter but as anyone knows who has tried to register a vehicle, most of the staff do not know what they are doing when it comes to historic vehicles.

This can either work to your advantage or otherwise.
Old 12-05-10, 16:00

And why is it that I can't tax my Morris Commercial on line? It falls into the 'historic vehicle over 3500kg, MOT exempt category'....and yet Computer says NO! I then have to go to my local Post Office and explain the situation or visit DVLA themselves. Ron
Old 12-05-10, 16:08

If you are not already using it Ron there is a MOT excemption self-certification form which you can down load from the DVLA web site.

You just tick the appropriate category under which you are claiming exemption and just hand it in at the post office with the renewal application. No hassle.

The last time I did my carrier the counter clerk tried to give the form back to me with my tax disc and it was only after I explained presumably they are returned to the DVLA she decided to keep it.

I am sure other can provide a link to this form.
Old 12-05-10, 16:55
Richard Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Ashley View Post
I think the staff at this centre have broken their own rules accepting Nigels letter but as anyone knows who has tried to register a vehicle, most of the staff do not know what they are doing when it comes to historic vehicles.

This can either work to your advantage or otherwise.
possibly...infact nope you are right..... but as i pointed out to the DVLA your average MVT rep is not going to have a clue what he or she is looking at on these machines, they are not after all a common piece here in the UK and lets face it Nigel is not just some bloke who likes tanks he is a published author on the subject, basically in legal terms he could be called to court as a profesional witness on the subject of carriers. this fits him neatly into the "acceptable" category at the DVLA.... perhaps my suit was so pursuasive they jsut melted in ore and accepted what i was saying

either way, i am happy that Nige has been accepted, and that he has agreed to evaluate my carrier and write a letter of his findings

Richie

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 12-05-10, 23:23

i know what hes going to say mate, rusty box looking thing would mkae for a good skip and a pile of scrap lol sorry thats what your other halfs prob thinking
Nigels going to say wow hidden treasure....

He will be blown away with how much work you have done and when you show him the chassie/ hull numbers you have found that will be it job done you will be the proud owner of a original mk1 canadian carrier hahahaha

see you on sunday matey
with hop a long
Old 13-05-10, 09:09
Richard Harrison

hahahaha is "Peggy Sue" comming along too

__5th Div___46th Div__
Lower Hull No. 10131
Old 13-05-10, 09:27
Adrian Barrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT10829 View Post
PS do NOT try and Bullsh** them, do NOT try and pass the vehicle off as something it is not, be candid and honest but firm with it, as a military vehicle it falls to so many more exemptions than regular vehicles do. you wont get penalised for it having a military backround, however for those with the big stuff, MBT.s , CVRT's, or any vehicle with a main gun, you must also provide with the above a valid DEMIL certificate for any armament that the vehicle is fitted with. There were rumours circulating that the tracks need to be modified to conform, this is not true both the pitch and contact ground presure are well within the legal guidelines. I have confirmed this with VOSA.
That is the best advice. They are civil servants and will usually respond well to firm instruction!
The bit about demil certs for the gun is more rubbish I'm afraid. That is of no concern to DVLA or VOSA. If they told you that, it was another attempt at being difficult.

There is a maximum ground pressure allowed for tracked vehicles and though carriers are well inside it, many tanks aren't, depending on which track is fitted. There is also a 20mph speed limit for all tracked vehicles on british roads.
Old 13-05-10, 13:31

Yes Neal. This year my Post Office were helpful enough to produce this MOT exemption form and even offered to fill it in. BUT! there is no category for Historic Vehicles....WHY? and WHY is it not on the computer anyway? Ron