MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 10-12-10, 15:44
Sean Deren

Default Sexton # 130

Hi Kids! I thought I would share with every one the restoration of our Sexton.
Here are some pix of her Journey across the states to Sunny Florida!
Attached Thumbnails
Sexton#130-0300 1.jpg   Sexton#130-0319 1.jpg   Sexton#130-0326 1.jpg   Sexton#130-0331 1.jpg   Sexton#130-0333 1.jpg  

Last edited by SDT16; 09-11-12 at 13:50.
Old 10-12-10, 15:53
Sean Deren

She was a little hesitant coming off the trailer, but with a little pull, she felt the sand between her tracks and knew she had arrived at the Spa!
Attached Thumbnails
Sexton#130-0345 2.jpg   Sexton#130-0346 1.jpg   Sexton#130-0347 1.jpg   Sexton#130-0348 1.jpg   Sexton#130-0349 1.jpg  

Old 11-12-10, 00:23

Sean; Great job! I cant wait to see it progress. Maybe we will have to start vacationing in Florida again. Jesse.
Old 11-12-10, 01:27

Could I encourage you to join www. hmvf.co.uk as thee is a lot of interest in such vehicles there and also a lot of help that you may need, worth the aggro of the registration (free).

Robin
Old 11-12-10, 07:10
Sean Deren

Robbin---I will check that site out. It is always good to have new resources, as I do need a few important pieces!.... the needed parts list is to come!

Jessse----- Yes you DO need to get your Family down to FLA!!! We'll send them to Mickey Mouse Land while we play with Sextons!!

Also, I DO Really appreciate all the info, encouragement and knowledge you have all ready shared with us! You are already a Big part of this restoration.
Thank You!
SD

There are many more pix to come!
Old 12-12-10, 19:10
Sean Deren

Some more pix. Details of the rear deck. Missing a few tabs and loops.
And some interesting metal work around the air cleaner. I am guessing it is the remnants of some sort of fording kit? I am hoping somebody may have some information on this.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Sexton#130-0358.jpg   Sexton#130-0364.jpg   Sexton#130-0371.jpg   Sexton#130-0372.jpg   Sexton#130-0375.jpg  

Old 12-12-10, 19:18
Sean Deren

It's good to have a friend with a wrecker!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Sexton#130-0429.jpg   Sexton#130-0444.jpg   Sexton#130-0471.jpg  
Old 13-12-10, 01:19
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Air baffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDT16 View Post
Some more pix. Details of the rear deck. Missing a few tabs and loops.
And some interesting metal work around the air cleaner. I am guessing it is the remnants of some sort of fording kit? I am hoping somebody may have some information on this.

Thanks!
Rather than Fording kit ,that may be to direct the air away from or to the the air cooled cylinders but I would be careful to mark them and replace them for if you leave them out your engine may very well over heat..But Jesse Browning will know what they are and will jump in here and let you know..He is the primo radial engine Sexton guru..
Old 14-12-10, 15:10
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Craig View Post
worth the aggro of the registration (free).

Robin
I didn't realize there was any aggro in registering with HMVF, could you send me a PM & explain? registartion is exactly the same as it is for this forum, we use the same VBulletin software.

Lee
HMVF Moderator.

Mk1 Humber Pig
Fox CVR(W)
Series 3 109FFR
LIVE!! 1954 120mm MOBAT
LIVE!! 1941 25pdr
Sankey Comms & Generator Trailers
Pickett-Hamilton Fort Owner

www.bunkerbash.co.uk
Old 14-12-10, 16:42
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDT16 View Post
Sean,

Good to see the Sexton has arrived safely at her destination. The metal work around the air cleaner must be remnants of a fording kit. See this website for images lifted from TM9-2853 "PREPARATION OF ORDNANCE MATERIEL FOR DEEP WATER FORDING - 7 July 1945" - chapter 2 section VIII: preparation of Medium Tank M4A3. Although the M4A3 has a different engine and thus deep water fording system, it shows how the sheet metal ducting was attached to the rear and lower hull of medium tanks.

I am surprised these sort of parts are still attached to the Sexton. Probably the former owner did nothing more than give it a blow over with OD aftre he dragged it from its grave at SECO?

Regards,
Hanno
Attached Thumbnails
1041214334.jpg  
Old 14-12-10, 23:04
Sean Deren

Thanks Hanno!

I have since found some more evidence and will post it soon. But I do believe that we are on the right track.

We are the 3rd owners after Seco I believe. The last owner gave it a quickey sand blast and paint, as it sat as his gate guard in front of his house. He really didn't want to sell it, didn't want to see it go, but knew he wasn't going to get to it and wanted a good home for it. I am the first to give it some Love

Also! We got both of the tracks off today!!!
Old 15-12-10, 03:26

I would agree it was a fording kit. I looked through lots of pictures, but cannot find a rear view of the Sexton II or a radial engined Sherman with the fording kit. There is a side view here. http://www.ramtank.ca/sexton.htm 130 is a very interesting vehicle. There are so many subtle differences from the more common late production vehicles. Notice the rear engine deck is not hinged in the middle, but both pieces bolted in place. No hole for the binnicle, rivets galore, mufflers on the engine. Probably originally had Sherman type tracks. This was probably a combat veteran, but the privious owner sandblasted all the markings off. Alex, I'm flattered, but Sexton engine guru I am not. Jesse.
Old 16-12-10, 01:25
Sean Deren

Well you beet me to it Jesse! Thats the same link I found of the fording Sexton. I also believe there is a video clip of that scene on YouTube. To add to this theory, the added metal piece around the gun looks to be part of the kit. Here is a picture of the front of our Sexton. Note the welds outlining the area around the gun.
Attached Thumbnails
Sexton#130-0372.jpg   Sexton#130-0485.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 16-12-10, 01:35
Sean Deren

Things found::

In the 4 inches of muck under the engine.
-A Sherman style duck bill end connector.
-An unused but bent rivit

In the ammo ready racks . RH rear. Some sort of paper cup. Must have been some sort of end cap from the packing?

And the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Sexton#130-0515.jpg   Sexton#130-0530.jpg   Sexton#130-0525.jpg   Sexton#130-0521.jpg  
Old 16-12-10, 01:58

Sean; I'm sure you took lots of pictures of that engine compartment. You will need them later. Jesse.
Old 16-12-10, 02:19
Sean Deren

Not sure how this shot will look on here. It is the flat file of the 360 VR I did in the engine bay right after we removed the engine and before we started to clean it up.
Attached Thumbnails
15-v4-f11-WEB.jpg  
Old 24-12-10, 23:06

Sean; I have an instrument panel face reserved for your project. It looks like you will need the base, or front half, also. Plus all the clips, mounts, resistor, lights, gauges, breakers, switches. Interestingly, all those parts are are still being produced. I could build you one when the time comes. Jesse.
Old 29-12-10, 02:54

Sean; I found a picture of a Sexton outfitted with the fording kit. It has a high box on top of the fighting compartment, with the stakes fitting into three square sockets identical in size and placement to the ones on your vehicle. I will send you a picture when I get home. I am out of state looking at a Sherman to restore. Jesse.
Old 29-12-10, 03:03
Sean Deren

Hey Jesse!
That sounds Great! I asked Santa for one, but I guess I had been too naughty this year.
Phil picked up the engine today so that is in the works as well!
I'll be posting more images soon!

Interesting find recently: The hull # 130 on the rear, seems to have the '3' double stamped on top of itself. Never thought much of it. The other day however, I noticed that '130' was also stamped the top edge of the left engine door. Perhaps the person stamping realized he messed up and re-stamped it on the door?

SD
Attached Thumbnails
Sexton#130-0508.jpg   Sexton#130-0510.jpg  
Old 30-12-10, 03:01

Sean; I talked to Phil today. He was driving back from your place with the engines. The gun on my Sexton is stamped in at least 6 places with the vehicle serial number. The stamps on the front and back hull are also double stamped on mine. Jesse.
Old 30-12-10, 21:03
Sean Deren

Jesse! I don't know how I over looked your last post about the fording kit picture. Can't wait to see it

And whats this about a Sherman!?!?!?!?!?! Ohhhh Boyy!!!!!
Old 03-01-11, 21:06
Mark

Default dash internals

Hello Jesse,

You posted that you can still get new gauges etc and distribution blocks for the sexton dash? Can you get the amp gauge and the gearbox temp gauge?

regards

mark
Old 10-01-11, 04:10

To Sexton 2080 - If you cannot find diff temp gauges I have NOS available, both electric and mechanical, e-mail me

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 10-01-11 at 08:34. Reason: spam control
Old 02-06-11, 01:16
Sean Deren

Well Fellas! Sorry for the Long Over Due UpDate!!!!
We have be busy on the Sexton for a while and then got distracted by multiple other projects, events and parts hunting!!!
Here are a few pics to get y'all a little closer to where we are at:
I Fabricated a dolley for removing the nose cone and tranny. It worked fantastic and popped off rather easily! Ofcourse, as Murphy's Law dictates, putting it back on will be more of a struggle! Thanks to all who have given advice and tips on removing this massive piece of the puzzle!

5 of the 6 suspension units have been removed..... one more to go!!!
1 of them has been dissembled...... Not looking forward to the rest!

I am in need of 1 return roller shaft..... kind of puzzled how it was broken..... perhaps whilst being shoved around SECO.

Here are some pix!

SD
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0343.jpg   IMG_0493.jpg   IMG_0482.jpg   IMG_0548.jpg  
Old 02-06-11, 04:16
Terry Warner

When it comes to reassembly, a few simple handtools will make alignment easy. Many years ago I worked on structural steel, building a 2-storey building. The handiest tool was an 18" hand spike with a wrench head. When the crane moved the I-beam close, spear the spike into the moving piece, catch the tip in the built piece and lever things into place. Throw in a bolt and wiggle the spike until the bolt threads. Then turn it into place. A final drive going back onto a Sexton can't be that different. Good memories and very satisfying work.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 02-06-11, 13:24
metal urgest

According to Chrysler's book "Tanks Are Mighty Fine Things", published just after the war, that transmission, controlled differential and final drives represented more than 50% of mechanical work and 40% of the cost of the tank.

Perry
Old 02-06-11, 14:23

Default Tanks Are Mighty Fine Things - Interesting book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Kitson View Post
According to Chrysler's book "Tanks Are Mighty Fine Things", published just after the war, ......

Perry
Hi Perry

Interesting little book isn't it, a number of interesting photos of tank production. There is another in this series,of corporate publicity, entitled The Great Detective about the manufacture of the SCR-584 radar units.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 17-08-12, 20:52
Sean Deren

Hi All!
Just wanted to give you all an update. It has been rough getting work done on the Sexton lately as a frame up restoration of a M2A1 Half Track has taken priority. We are over the Hump on this little side project and expect to be back full force on the Sexton sometime this fall. It is pretty amazing when one thinks about it, there are probably 4 times as many pieces to a Half Track than the Sexton! We can't wait to get it done and focused on the main event!

Cheers!!
Sean
Old 26-08-12, 03:58
Staghound

Boy you guys have just brought back a lot of good memories
Keep up the good work!

My first radial layed on the shop floor in pieces for almost 7months before we found the parts to rebuild it

JUST REMEMBER! crank it first before you use the starter
Stew
ps:
: they are known for their hydraulic lock
support
Old 15-03-16, 16:02
Sean Deren

Since all of the old Sexton threads seem to be popping unto the top, I thought I'd give ours a little update. I had planned on getting some sandblasting done by now, however, a FV432 found its way into the que! sneaky Bastard!!!

I have acquired another Air Cleaner though thanks to JDMCM.

I am still looking for the guts and bottom for another early type round one.

Cheers

Sean
Attached Thumbnails
Air Cleaner.jpg