MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 07-03-05, 23:27
RIP

Default Wedge Hat versus Beret

I think this question is for Mark Tonner

In photos that I have,the D-Day Dodger is wearing wedge hats in the Uk.Then ,I have one of those beige colorized photos from Italy dated 1944/45 where he's wearing a Khaki shirt with his RCASC shoulder flashes.and,wearing a black beret with the RCASC hat badge.Next picture is from after war's end,in Brussels,where he & three others are pictured joining the Royal Canadian Legion,And,what is he wearing,a wedge hat!!Was there any regs for headress cover from your volumes of DND WW2 info i.e.-wedge versus beret??
Old 08-03-05, 02:38
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Wedge Hat versus Beret

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
I think this question is for Mark Tonner

In photos that I have,the D-Day Dodger is wearing wedge hats in the Uk.Then ,I have one of those beige colorized photos from Italy dated 1944/45 where he's wearing a Khaki shirt with his RCASC shoulder flashes.and,wearing a black beret with the RCASC hat badge.Next picture is from after war's end,in Brussels,where he & three others are pictured joining the Royal Canadian Legion,And,what is he wearing,a wedge hat!!Was there any regs for headress cover from your volumes of DND WW2 info i.e.-wedge versus beret??
Hi Garry;

From what you've said, I assume that its your Dad your referring to. RCASC beret vs FS cap (wedge) in 1944/45, probably depended on what the RSM/CO of the unit wanted worn and with what order of dress it was to be worn with.

Did you say that your Dad is wearing a black beret in one of the photos?

Cheers
Old 08-03-05, 06:39
RIP

Default Black beret

Hi Mark,
Yes, a black beret & he's definitely wearing a khaki tan shirt with unit shouler ubit flash,so it had to be taken in summer of 44 in Italy
Old 09-03-05, 19:32
RIP

Default Headdress

The 'wedge" cap, also the Field Service Cap, was the sole headdress for most members of the Canadian Army Overseas at the beginning of the war. This was in khaki material and was introduced concurrent with the 1939 pattern Battledress uniform. Some other caps that were authorised at that time included the Service Cap, worn by MPs and the cap, mechanic which was a black, beret-like, affair. Of course Highland Units wore Tam-o-Shanters while Irish regiments wore the Caubeen. From time to time the odd Glengarry could be seen in use. The Black beret was already authorised for Tank Regiments. By 1943 the khaki beret was coming into common use and replaced the FSC.
A wedge cap which continued to be worn was the Coloured Field Service Cap CFSC. These were private purchase items and the colours varied by Unit or Corps. These were introduced in 1937 (in their modern iteration) and were worn up to unification. Today, CFSCs are still authorised for some units and nearly all Rifle Regiments wear them with 1A Dress.
To see a list of WWII CFSCs go to my web-site at www.servicepub.com/mdfscaps.htm For more info on berets and other headdress go to Mike Dorosh's Canadian Soldiers web-site http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/ click on Uniforms and then choose the headdress you want