MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 29-01-05, 23:12

Default Age of Enlistment?

Can someone pse tell me the official minimum age for enlistment into the Canadian army during WW2? And while we’re on the subject – how about the maximum age?

Comments appreciated.

Mike
Old 30-01-05, 01:46
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Mike,

Over here at least, it was 18, or 17 with parental approval, or even less if you were well-developed enough to lie about your age and get away with it.

In the Canadian military cemetery on the Moro River just south of Ortona, the youngest inhabitant is just 15. I've forgotten his name, but I'll never forget how looking at his grave made me feel when I first saw it in 1975.

There was really no upper age limit if you were physically fit, although they generally drew the line at approximately 40. There were many in their late 30s... but don't forget, our army overseas was all-volunteer, so any man who could do the job was accepted. The "old men" were considered leaders regardless of rank, and from all I've read, fulfilled the role well.

I suspect the British Army was much the same as all above.

Can you tell me the context of your questions?
Old 30-01-05, 04:42
48th Highlander

Default Age of enlistments

Mike:

As far as I can recall, and don't hold me to this. If you joined up under the age of 18 you had to have your parents consent. You had to be 19 to go overseas. Here is a little personal history. When I joined up in 1939 I lied about my age. I was 18, but declared I was 19. One day General McNaughton, I believe in the month of October 1939 came to inspect the regiment outside the gates of the CNE. Unfortunately I was quite baby faced so they told me, and was often called the kid. Which to my consternation grieved me to no end. When McNaughton and his entourage came by he stopped and looked me straight in the eye and asked me how old are you soldier? My blood ran cold. I figured somehow they had found out that I had lied and in my military innocence was certain I would face a firing squad the next day. When I said 19 Sir, there was a long pause that seemed an eternity, he just shook his head and moved on. In December I was on my way to England.
Old 30-01-05, 14:43

Default Age of Enlistment ...

Thanks to all for those interesting replies.

I had guessed the age-range was similar to that in Britain, but didn’t know chaps had to be 19 to go overseas. OK also about the upper age-range. I can understand that this was overlooked - especially when special skills were at a premium.

The matter of volunteers is complex and interesting. I don’t think many would have felt that Canada was directly threatened in the early days. Of course, there were some who volunteered because of family ties with Britain; and others who did so for idealistic reasons. There would have been others who joined because their friends had done so; perhaps there were even some who wanted to put themselves to the test. On the other hand, I guess a lot were seeking adventure overseas. It would be interesting to hear what people have to say about their own reasons.

In response to Geoff’s query about the context, I’m writing an account of the presence of the Canadian Army in Eastbourne (my hometown) for our Local History Society. I started corresponding with vets back in the 1980s. The thing that set me off was a name carved on a garden wall. Among the hearts and arrows, initials and Canadian cities, was one full name and that of a town, Pictou NB. A letter to the local paper produced a reply from the chap, who (in contravention of standing orders pertaining to the billet) had made his mark in the summer of 1943.

Over the years, I’ve collected information from official records and regimental histories; also the recollections of veterans, war brides and locals who remember when Eastbourne might have been called ‘Canucks by the Sea’. The abandoned hotels, private schools and large houses of the well-to-do made ideal billets. Dozens of units and thousands of men passed through this resort on the south coast.

Incidentally, in Hanover last year I spoke to the German pilot who had a brush with the Canadian Army on 26 August 42. He was ‘the one who got away’. The other Fw190 in the raid was shot down by a Bren gunner of the Seaforths. Interestingly another friend of this pilot was downed by the PPCLI near Eastbourne on 23 Jan 43.

A couple of months ago, I thought the time had come to get all this information set down - to my surprise it’s now at around 25000 words.

I’m grateful to those on this and other forums who are so generous with their knowledge and experience.

Mike