MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 13-11-18, 05:51

Default Centurion Fuel Filter

Hi,
I'm looking for some parts help. Our Mk 5/2 Centurion has a fuel filter mounted on the front bulkhead of the engine compartment, differing from the Mk3 and Mk5 parts manuals I have, which show the filter integral with the fuel tank switchover valve in the fighting compartment. The switchover valve we have is for the left, right, and long range tank in the rear but the valve is just a plain valve and does not include the filter assembly like the parts manuals show. So I think this was an official modification, especially as the filter has the British BSPP fittings on the inlet and outlet.

I just have the top housing, no filter element. There is no manufacturers name on it but it has a catalogue number stamped in tiny numbers, FD2189. The recommended replacement element also stamped on it is FG2398/2??.
Is this still available or does anyone have any spare elements? Or any suggestions for a replacement?
I searched the forums and the part numbers but no luck.

Thanks,
Malcolm
Old 13-11-18, 11:57

googling your element number FG2398/2 suggests a crossover to NSN 2940998812191 which lead to several listings for filter elements. One on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-F...-/202204661217 has photo. The photo shows FG2398/203 on the element, I don't know enough about the relevant numbering system to know if this represents a minor variant or a completely different filter. I suggest more research.....
Old 13-11-18, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Towrie View Post
Hi,
I'm looking for some parts help. Our Mk 5/2 Centurion has a fuel filter mounted on the front bulkhead of the engine compartment, differing from the Mk3 and Mk5 parts manuals I have, which show the filter integral with the fuel tank switchover valve in the fighting compartment. The switchover valve we have is for the left, right, and long range tank in the rear but the valve is just a plain valve and does not include the filter assembly like the parts manuals show. So I think this was an official modification, especially as the filter has the British BSPP fittings on the inlet and outlet.

I just have the top housing, no filter element. There is no manufacturers name on it but it has a catalogue number stamped in tiny numbers, FD2189. The recommended replacement element also stamped on it is FG2398/2??.
Is this still available or does anyone have any spare elements? Or any suggestions for a replacement?
I searched the forums and the part numbers but no luck.

Thanks,
Malcolm
Try Tim Vibert in Australia for Centurion parts.

http://www.timvibert.com.au/

Tim
Old 14-11-18, 06:19

Thanks, Grant. I need to hone my Googling skills obviously. Yes, the part number stamped on the filter looks like FG2398/203. Now I realize that I'm missing the canister for the filter element you found. We have parts scattered all over the site and a gate guard Centurion. I need to go looking for the canister.

Tim, yes, I've been in contact with Tim Vibert for other obscure parts. If it's that difficult to get a filter, I think I might switch to a generic filter so I can buy the element locally.

Malcolm
Old 14-11-18, 11:39

Malcolm,

Good to see you on the weekend.

I believe most strongly that is the same element as used in the fuel filter for the Ferrets. It goes by the name of a Vokes fuel filter.

They are available from the UK from Marcus Glenn as well as Australia however Khaki Imports in the US may have stock also.

The link to Marcus Glenn here https://marcusglenn.com/parts/daimle...ilter-element- shows the element without the cage assembly around it and one can re use the old cage but it is a pain.

According to Allan Duffy you have tons of Ferret spares on site so maybe you have them already.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 15-11-18, 03:31

Robin,
I cleaned some more paint of the filter and found it was made by Tecalemit. It's very similar to a Vokes. But I assume it would have a much higher flow rating for the Meteor engine.
Malcolm
Old 18-09-19, 01:22

Hi Malcolm

did you ever solve your filter hunt? Perhaps with a locally sourced element? I am in the same boat as you, our Mk5 has the filter on the RH firewall just inside the engine compartment, not as pictured in the manual as adjacent to the fuel tap which is not anywhere near the filter. Made a rookie mistake and ran our Centurion out of fuel, and in process of checking the system decided we best look at the filter and it needs replacing about 100 years ago. Also I discovered the kigass pump on the rear wall of the fighting compartment is only to atomize fuel from the filter and shoot it into the carbs to aid starting, we had assumed it was like the primer on a CAT diesel and it would pressure up the entire system..evidently not! There are actually priming levers on each fuel pump though again I am unclear if they are simply from the filter on or they would allow the fuel to be drawn from the tank...any ideas?

John