Notices

Old 06-10-10, 15:24
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: research on the 32nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Butler View Post
I am going to do a little research on the 32nd and see what turns up
Hi Paul;
This may be of assistance to you in regards to your research on the 32nd Reconnaissance Regiment (Royal Montreal Regiment), CAC. The National Archives (Kew) (Richmond, Surrey, United Kingdom) holds copies of Canadian War Diaries, the files references for those of the 32nd Reconnaissance Regiment (Royal Montreal Regiment), CAC are:

WO 179/1909 - War Diaries for the period of Jan to Dec 1943
WO 179/3014 - War Diaries for the period of Jan to Mar 1944
WO 179/2655 - War Diaries for the period Apr to Dec 1944

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 08-10-10, 20:23

Default Canadian War Diaries

Hi Paul -

Just seen your quest to research your Carrier...ref Canadian War Diaries. If you live outside Ottawa or abroad, you can use the quite excellent International Lending Library (ILL). This appears to be quite free and has been a Godsend to my researches here in the UK...

First, make sure you register with a good library near you - preferably one with a 16mm & 35mm Microfilm reader and printer.

Second, through your library, contact ILL via the Canadian Library and Archives. The ILL will only deal with official libraries, not individuals, to those abroad.

Third, order those microfilms that cover your requirements. Use the CLA for the reference numbers and only order those that are OPEN.

Fourth, sit back and wait to be contacted by your own library - takes abou a week to ten days from order.

You are allowed to keep the microfilms for about 8 weeks before either returning them or extending the loan.

This is the most excellent service and I have been using it for about two years. I think there may be an equivalent in Australia or New Zealand but am not sure...do others know ?

Good Luck

Roddy de Normann