MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Tributes

Notices

Old 26-12-22, 13:28
MLU Administrator

Default RIP John Marchant

I just got word John Marchant passed away….

Ian McCallum wrote:
Quote:
It is with great sadness to let you know that John Marchent passed away on Christmas eve. John was a great ambassador for anything Canadian, starting the first Register of Canadian ex- military vehicles. The first vehicle he bought was in 1947 from a local farmer, for £15, being a Loyd Bren Carrier. Many older members may have had the opportunity to visit 'Furtho Pit' and see what opportunities lurked there, or remember his Ford F60S LAAT, Chevrolet 15A or C8A HUW to mention but a few. His real love was however tracked vehicles having had an Allis- Chalmers HD-7W, Centaur dozer various Bren Carriers and even a Diamond T recovery. He was a true gentleman and will be sadly missed. Thoughts are with his family at this sad time. RIP John.
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D8FDFBA-08A4-4A4B-83BB-E1322DB6CD00.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	131750
Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mapl...7896616822019/
Old 27-12-22, 22:34

Default John Marchant

I was deeply saddened to learn of John's passing as I have known him since 1984. I last spoke with John on the telephone in late August about his Ford CMP 3-ton which was heading to the Base Borden Museum. I had initiated the deal putting the museum in contact with John as I knew he was looking for a suitable home for his historic Canadian truck.

I, along with several of my family members, have visited John's farm in Milton Keynes, where he and his wife Francis (who passed away several years ago) would host us in true English fashion. I have fond memories of three trips John and I took in his vehicles to the continent from 1984 to 1986.

Name:	S87-17 Ed Storey and John Marchant copy.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	131746

I used to bring Canadian military IMP rations with me and John was thrilled not only with the 'boil in bag' feature but also for the fruit, notably the pineapple slices, that came with certain menus.

Name:	S103-18 John Marchant copy.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	131744

For decades we exchanged Christmas cards and I always looked forward to his hand-made cards which usually featured John with one of his vehicles. His 2021 card highlighted his Ford 3-ton.

Name:	Christmas Card - John Marchant - 2021 - front copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	594.2 KB
ID:	131743

John was one of the pioneers of CMP collecting and restoration having acquired many of his vehicles from disposal sales held after the war. John has two of his vehicles in Canadian museums, his C15AA is in the CWM and now his Ford 3-ton is in Borden.

Name:	C15AA Recovered - John Marchant [2] - Return from IWM Duxford copy.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	131745

Both vehicles have a pedigree that can be traced back to the Second World War.

Good bye old friend, Rest in Peace.

Name:	S79-19 Saying goodbye to John Marchant and his HUW at Portsmouth, 9 June 1984 copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	131747
Old 28-12-22, 08:02
MLU Administrator

Default RIP John Marchant

Dear Ed,

Thank you for the great tribute to a great guy. I never met John in person, but I knew him as a “great ambassador for anything Canadian”, as Ian puts it aptly. I’m hoping he’s looking up his peers like Bart Vanderveen, Bill Gregg, David Hayward and many other like minded men who have preceded him.
One of John’s CMPs, a C8A HUW is under restoration in The Netherlands, so his legacy will live on in the artifacts he preserved.
RIP John Marchant
Old 30-12-22, 20:17

Sad news. John used to be in charge of the "Wilkinson Sword" award. The first time I met him in the 80's he turned up at our Bevington end of season bash. He'd been to Pounds yard to collect 3 carrier hulls on the back of a lorry. The poor things had been lying below the tide line since demob.

He supplied me with the Stacey towing attachment for my carrier, which he'd carried an awful long way from his car on that day that we met up.

A very calm and generous gent indeed. Ron
Old 31-12-22, 01:36

Very sad indeed

Used to live 5 miles from John's, have seen him at many a show, had a spin driving his Centaur around the farm... what good fun that was, bought many a useful item from him over the years, from tow hooks to trailers and boxes to bayonets. Always an interesting and very knowledgeable chap. The MV world has lost one of the greats.

RIP John.

Tim
Old 06-01-23, 22:46
MLU Administrator

Default Funeral details

Via Vaughan Max Roberts:

“Following the very sad news of John Marchant’s passing, I’ve been asked by his family to post details of the funeral:

11.00, Tuesday 17th January.

St John The Evangelist Church,
Church Lane, Wicken, Northamptonshire, MK19 6BN

All are welcome.”