MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 18-12-07, 22:20
Dog Robber

Default OddBall Dutch Ford

I am hoping one of our Dutch members can shed a liuttle bit of light on this vehicle.

I seems to be a 1935 Ford V8 with some sort of taxi body, ie the rear window is much longer than a normal sedan.

However, it seems to be also fitted with oversize military wheels and tyres and the wings seem to be shaved for better clearance.

Anyone have any ideas if this was perhaps a dedicated military vehicle purchased by the Dutch armed forces as such or was it a later conversion of a taxi cab???
Cheers
Bill
Attached Images

Old 23-12-07, 20:21
MLU Administrator

Default Re: OddBall Dutch Ford

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
Anyone have any ideas if this was perhaps a dedicated military vehicle purchased by the Dutch armed forces as such or was it a later conversion of a taxi cab???
Bill, although I don't really know what I'm talking about here, my guess would be the latter is more likely than the former.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Hanno
Old 23-12-07, 23:09
Dog Robber

Thanks Hanno:

I rather suspected the same thing as the spare tyre seems to be of normal size, not the military size.

Which, would have made for some interesting driving characteristics if it had to be used as a spare.

Nothing to do with military vehicles, but I leased a 1999 Ford Lightning pickup for three years. It was a supercharged Hot Rod truck that was incredibly fast. Twice, I punctured tyres on the truck and had to use the spare which was not one of the 250 kmh rated "Super Tyres". The spare was much taller and much narrower than the supplied high performance tyres.

When the rear went down and I mounted the spare, I could hardly touch the throttle with out the spare tyre spinning like hell.
When the front went down, I had to hold the steering wheel hard to the opposite lock to keep the truck straight.

It is a nice looking vehicle, by the way.

Cheers
Bill