MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 19-07-05, 03:41

Default New purchase.....

Just wanted to share a very productive weekend........

As a spin off of CC-4 where I met Doug Weatherstone I have acquired a new... well new to me anyways.... Chev cab 12...circa 1942........ will post all the numbers for David Hayward later......

Of course I will have to post each darn picture individually.....
Canada
Old 19-07-05, 03:47

Default Picture one....

Love at first sight..... hidding behind the barn outside of Paris Ontario.......

...for our Aussie friends who are always scrounging blitz from far away places..... Rob Clarke (partner in crime) left Ottawa at 4 am and returned at 10:30 pm same day..... exhausting 1400km trip.
Attached Thumbnails
im002836enlargedresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 19-07-05, 03:49

Default picture two....

Would not have been able to do it without the help of Rob Clarke who was the partner in crime and Doug Weatherstone who gave me a very square deal......
Attached Thumbnails
2387resized.jpg  
Canada
Old 19-07-05, 03:51

Default Picture 3.....

A good example of a friend doing the dirty work for you.......

... you have to realize that holding that heavy digital camera was very taxing........

...if I ever buy a trailer of my own... it will have an electric winch.
Attached Thumbnails
im002839enlargedresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 19-07-05, 03:53

Default Picture 4....

One of many pit stop to have a 'burger......
Attached Thumbnails
im002840resized.jpg  
Canada
Old 19-07-05, 04:00

Default Picture 5....

The old Ford perfomed flawlessly..... 6 L diesel handled the load very well....... kept 110km at 2000rpm....fuel consumption increased by 50%.....normally do 600KM on a tank... only did 400km while towing....... electric brakes on trailer are mandatory and very helpful...... driving with an extra 7000+ pounds is somewhat more demanding of attention and stressful/tiring ... have a buddy to spare you off at the wheel is crucial.....

At one truck stop taking fuel..... one guy walked over and with that strange puzzled look asked..... What is it???? answered 1942 chev........ he replied..... did you find it at the bottom of a lake it is all rusted..... are you going to restore THAT????

What do they know....... Rob was tempted to tell them it was a Russian trcuk we had brought down form the Artic... the dumkoff would probably have believed it..... but a honest CMPER woulf never do that....
Attached Thumbnails
im002842enlargedresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 19-07-05, 04:04

Default At home the next evening.....

Next evening.... taken by my wife...... Yep she agrees... it is ugly!!

I do fit in..... actually sitting on a original cushion...... a shoe horn does help to squeeze in the left leg.... for the record I am 6' 2" and slightly over 230 lovely pounds.......

Look at the cab 12 doing a wheel stand.......
Attached Thumbnails
hpim4801resized.jpg  
Canada
Old 19-07-05, 04:05

Default Towing.....

If you are going to move it around an old Massey Ferguson... a 3 point hitch..... and a square tubing stuck in the D rings is ideal....
Attached Thumbnails
hpim4809enlargedresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 19-07-05, 04:08

Default One more......

Getting out is not any easier.....

Thanks for watching....... just wanted to share some joy......

Sorry Geoff for taking all that band width......

Bob........ happy has the proverbial pig in sh**

....thanks Rob......
Attached Thumbnails
hpim4813resized.jpg  
Canada
Old 19-07-05, 04:28

very nice my friend. Thank you for sharing your joy and the pics.

cheers
Cliff
Old 19-07-05, 07:07
M38A1 CDN3

Good stuff, Bob and RH Clarke...

Wow, 1400 km...that's dedication to the likes of us.

Similarly, Stewart Loy put on about 800 km doing same sort of recovery for my '44 Chev. (For which I'll be eternally grateful.)

Bob...you gonna have 'er ready for CC5...after all, CC5 is the Year of the CMP!

Also, if that's a 12 cab, is that what was "commonly" called the alligator hood?
Old 19-07-05, 09:18
former Resident Historian

Default Numbers

Thanks Bob for thinking about me! Now, how many burgers per 100KM was your own consumption? Also do you get any hassle from the 'fuzz' [cops]? Down here on the south coast they and the Ministry men are now very active stopping boat trailers etc and like to pore over them checking brakes, load, etc.
Old 19-07-05, 13:26
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: One more......

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
Sorry Geoff for taking all that band width......
No Worries, Bob! Well done! Of course, you realize you are well & truly bitten now, doomed to spending the rest of your life fixing 'wusty old twucks'?!

When are we going to see your wee one on the road?
Old 19-07-05, 14:23
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Bob has finally succumb to the dreaded RATS, an acronym I find quite fitting (Rusty Army Truck Syndrome). I'm sure most MLUers are in the same boat
David, the MOT (Ministry of Transport) here in Ontario, has always had autority to inspect trailers etc, whetehr they are commercial or personal, although for the most part they left non-commercial ones alone. Lack of manpower seemed to be the problem as well as too many junk trucks that carriers were driving.
The new mandate lately is to start harrassing everyone as many of the dangerous trailers are the ones that weekend warriors are pulling up to the cottage - old tent, boat , and car trailers.
I spoke with the spokesman from the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) who is BTW, a mv enthusiast as well, and he told me that they took no less than 100 vehicles off the road in one weekend blitz on the Victoria Day weekend!

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 19-07-05, 23:24
Mr. HUP

Default THE LONG HAUL

That was a trip and a half. As for the OPP, just west of TO, we were scrutinized for about five minutes by a cruiser that kept floating in and out behind us, ran parallel, and then finally sped away for the next ramp. I guess he was checking out the chains and bear traps or maybe was asking WTF is that?!?

Only two more short hops to do before we can rest. See you Friday night for the HUP hauls!
Old 20-07-05, 00:31
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Alligator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Also, if that's a 12 cab, is that what was "commonly" called the alligator hood?
Hi Jon

Yes, that's an alligator hood - try putting your head in it!

What a great find, and you people would fit right in here with that recovery effort, although we may have put it on solid tow.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 20-07-05, 01:50
RIP

Default Re. New Purchase

Hi Bob
Very well done and a good recovery story. But please remember me with photos, and everyone else for that matter. Photos of the interior please especially the instrument panels.
Bob
Old 20-07-05, 04:08

Default Thnaks for all the encouragements.....

Will try to reply to everyone....

Jon...Yep...alligator nose....also got a better one for spare from Doug.... inlcuding the Chevy bow tie...... 5 NOS rubber tail lights....2 good seat cushions... a spare instrument panel ( Bob M. we will need to talk).... a fire extinghiser with bracket..... two headlight black out covers........ 3 way fuel valve..... spare gas tank caps...chain and short tube ready for welding on a tank..... and all the serial numbers both wartime and post war that had been rubbed off the doors by Doug........ did I say I felt like a pig in sh*** ............ all the trim metal for the edge of the cab.... a spare interior door handle..... the other handles are on the doors... and I maybe forgetting some.......

Will try to photo the inside with instrument panel and switches for Bob M. and number plate for David.......

....engine looks like an early 53 Chev 235 with valve cover similar to the 216..... power train is very complete..... everything turns and steers easy... did not try to force turn the engine.

RATS it is....... RATS forever..... could be worst I could be collecting stamps.

All in all a busy weekend..... on the previous Saturday we moved Robs HUP rolling frame to my place.... well it got rolling after we re-installed the wheels and front axle..... kept being reminded of our Aussie friends when sweating in 41C degree heat...Yeck... gimme snow!!!!!

I fully intend to have my cab 11 at CC% next year even if it is just a rolling chassis. Plans are to finish the power train on the cab 11 by end of this Summer late Fall...... really want to hear the Chebby 261 running... and work on the cab inside the barn over the cold season.... doubt if I would have the GS box reproduced before Summer/Fall 2006. I do have a box on the Cab 11... will better serve as a model along with the cab 12 box which has some rusted components that are missing on the cab 11 box. I have some local metal fabricators that can churn out the basic bends in precut sizes that I can then weld together...... hopefully I will document with enough pictures and drawings to be shared on the forum.

I have amassed a good deal of new/current parts numbers for axles and T-case that I will share with Phil Waterman who will then compile an post on the forum...... Geoff.... if the bandwith will tolerate it...... it may be advisable to create a seperate listing for part numbers for various vehicles...UC...CMP.... etc....

Police wise.... Rob captured the event very well.... we always make a point of loading carfully and making sure the load is safe for us and kids in other cars....... I do not mind being stopped and if need be learn that there is a better and safe way of tying down a load....... so far so good.

Future plans for the cab 12 at this point..... which looks good on pictures but will need major reskinning.... is to use it as a practical model to facilitate the re-assembly of the Cab 11 and to serve as a pattern for sheet metal parts missing on the cab 11.... Further down the road I may consider converting into a German "umberwagon"....... I realize that others are also contemplating the same thing and mine might not be the first to be ready but a nice fun machine would be interesting..... so if you see me bidding on a Notek lamp on EBay don't be surprised....

Now I just have to live to be 80 just to break even..... not to mention that Rob and I are off to another recovery this coming Saturday but this time only 300KM return....... more pictures to come......

Bob
Canada
Old 22-07-05, 15:45
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Thnaks for all the encouragements.....

Great find, Bob - congrats!
Quote:
I have amassed a good deal of new/current parts numbers for axles and T-case that I will share with Phil Waterman who will then compile an post on the forum...... Geoff.... if the bandwith will tolerate it...... it may be advisable to create a seperate listing for part numbers for various vehicles...UC...CMP.... etc....
See Modern part numbers for CMPs.

Quote:
Further down the road I may consider converting into a German "umberwagon"....... I realize that others are also contemplating the same thing and mine might not be the first to be ready but a nice fun machine would be interesting..... so if you see me bidding on a Notek lamp on EBay don't be surprised....
C'mon, the CMP Umbau-Wagen was converted from CMP Ford F15 4x2 11 Cabs! Chebby's were not good enough to be used by the Herren Volk

Old 24-07-05, 02:27

Default Well done Bob

Looks like your missing the hinge side on the 2B1 box. Looks like this. Cheers Rob
Attached Thumbnails
im000734.jpg  
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 24-07-05, 02:28

Default and again

ok
Attached Thumbnails
im000736.jpg  
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 25-07-05, 15:23
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default New Toys

Well done, Bob... you put up with Rob Clarke for 1400 km!

Sorry, Rob! Couldn't resist that one!

Very nice machine, Bob. I'll have to find an excuse to drop over and see it up close.

How did the HUP body move go at your end? Did it come off the trailer OK?

Cheers! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 25-07-05, 22:15
Mr. HUP

Default HUP HAUL

Mikey,

The haul went well - came back with a rather rusted and trimmed down 43 HUP, but the drive train (less engine) is in good shape. Also snagged some of the original sheet metal - which is in better shape than my HUP's original skin... so another project looms.
Old 26-07-05, 00:51

Default Replies.....

Hanno

....... who the H*** will know in Canuck land that Chebby were not used........

Rob..... inside the box opf the cab 12 are the two drop sides.... badly rusted but all I need to make copies/repro....... intereating how it has the very components that are missing on my cab 11.

Thanks for the pictures.... every little bit will help.

Gunner..... ridding with Rob is not so bad..... I could hardly hear his voice when I had him sitting in the box of the pickup...... all kidding aside he a terrific shotgun rider and pulls his weight whent he rough work starts.

Unloading was a pain.... waited til Saturday morning as the hydraulic system was not working on the old Massey....... we carefully skidded off the HUP body and went on to Brockville to get another load not knowing how the h*** we would unload .

While having breakefast at the corner "Chez Lucy" I called ina panic call to the local tractor dealer how argued with me that their was a lever under the seat of my tractor and that it must have been kick off....... what would he know..... well once back home I was... and so was Rob.... relieved to see that dais lever was there and once shifted in the prpper direction all was well again.

I drop in on the dealer in Sarsfield and explained that I had found the proverbial 18 inch problem.... the operator sitting 18 inch behind the wheel,

All is well that ends well..... and yes we will have to get together for a burger and brew with some of the boys before the bug season is over.... Alex, Clive, rob, Gunner and who ever else happens to be in town.

Well I am off to new Hamspter to see the sea with the wife and visit Phil Waterman at the Weare army truck show ... an event that as become an annual pilgrimage.

Cheers
Canada
Old 26-07-05, 01:01

Default Re: Replies.....

Quote:
I drop in on the dealer in Sarsfield and explained that I had found the proverbial 18 inch problem.... the operator sitting 18 inch behind the wheel
Bob, that's one of the world's most profound statements, and I owe ya a beer for that one!

PS: In the computer environs, we call that the "BDO Factor" - "Brain Dead Operator". What the hell...
Old 26-07-05, 01:05

Default Re: Replies.....

Quote:
Well I am off to new Hamspter to see the sea with the wife and visit Phil Waterman at the Weare army truck show ... an event that as become an annual pilgrimage.
"new Hamspter"? You're on a roll today, even if you can't spel. Love it. Say hi to Phil for me, would you? Last I saw him was at Beltring some years ago. Nice chap for a Yank...

PS: For years back in the eighties I motorbiked through NH every September. Wonderful turf and wonderful people!
Old 26-07-05, 01:05

Default Last round up.....

JUst a quick picture of our last load on Saturday..... this one is for Rob...

..... bad case of the HUPs.... 2 spare nose.... roof parts and side panel parts.....engine cover.... gas tanks... running boards......
Oh and NOS 216 air cleaners in sealed 1942 containers....... an a lovely little field mice that travel back with us from Brockville in the box of the pickup..... hoping it can enrich the local gene pool before becoming lunch for my many cats....

......so ugly only a mother could love it....... noticed how we have now started to off load in the spare field away....far away from the house and the wife...... hihihi....

Now both Rob and I are tied down ... see confined to barracks for a few weeks.......to make up time with the wife for all our sins.......

....never said we would not sin again....

Bob C.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0683croppedresized.jpg  
Canada
Old 26-07-05, 02:51
Mr. HUP

Default HUP-ITIS

Bob,

That field can hold a division's worth of CMPs! But ultimately, the frau's tolerance will dictate our fall timetable and the final number. What a hobby - I get a rusty truck and the wife gets new jewellery...I hope not too many wives read this thread.

Enjoy the trip to the NSM and say hello to Phil for me. Please let him know that I am looking for HUP roof hardware - rollers et al - he know the parts.

Drive safe and spoil Joyce!

Rob
Old 26-07-05, 04:26

Default Re: HUP-ITIS

Quote:
Originally posted by RHClarke
What a hobby - I get a rusty truck and the wife gets new jewellery...I hope not too many wives read this thread.
Rob... here's a lesson. Repeat after me: Ditch the Wife, Keep the truck. Trust me, I learned this by experience. Do otherwise and you'll end up with neither. Son, this is NOT rocket science.

Old 26-07-05, 21:48
Mr. HUP

Default Decisions, decisions

Thanks for the advice, but having already been down that path, and having to to thru the "she got the gold mine, I got the shaft" era, the PC courts, socially crazed judges and rabid money sucking scum lawyers (with one noteable exception), I am now a member of the "IT'S CHEAPER TO KEEP HER" club.

Besides, my long-haired niner actually encourages my habit, er hobby.

You heard of the Oil for Food Programme? This is the CMP for Jewellery Program.

Cheers!