MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 21-08-20, 21:38

Default Signals Training (All Arms) Pam No.5 - contents?

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the contents of the below title;

Signal Training (All Arms) Pamphlet No.5 Signal Procedure - Part 1, Procedure for radio telephony (1943).

In particular I wondered if it offered any examples of Regimental nets for Inf, Armd and RA units.

I thought I'd found a copy of the superseding 1945 Pamphlet No.7 (RT procedures) a while ago, but when it arrived it was the 1952 version. That does have a few wireless diagrams and I wondered if the WW2 era issues did so as well.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 01-09-20, 01:43
Junior Password Gnome

Ah, I seem to have missed this post (and most of the pamphlets are boxed up somewhere)....

The June 1943 version of the RT procedure marked the introduction of the "Link Sign"/"Code Sign" and the new voice procedure that was basically the one used by the enemy (with the serial numbers filed off and the colour changed from field grey to olive drab). "THE ENEMY LISTENS"

It's got sample net diagrams for armoured formations and an annexe with the procedure for indicating targets to supporting artillery - that includes a sample wireless diagram for an infantry battalion with supporting artillery.

Other net diagrams can be found in the Royal Signals Pocket Book, Part 2, Wireless Diagrams. (The 1945 issue was agreed upon in 1943/1944, I think.)

Have a look at royalsignals.org.uk/signals for what we've got so far.

(Someday I will draw that lot out as a 'family tree' with introduction and supersession/replacement dates, but not just yet.)

Chris. (G8KGS)
Old 03-09-20, 22:53

Old 05-12-20, 20:19

Default Signals Training (All Arms) Pam No.5 - Pam No.7 (1945)

Thanks very much for coming back on this query, I kind of lost sight of it myself!

I've got a digital copying order in with the Australian War Memorial for copies of Parts 1 to 3 of Pamphlet No.5, so hopefully will be able to produce something useful from them.

On a related note, does anyone know the contents of the three parts of Pamphlet No.7 - RT Procedure, from 1945?

Part I - RT for users (March 1945)
Part II - RT for operators (May 1945)
Part III - Appendices (May 1945)

I was wondering in particular whether Part I includes any updated detail on unit wireless net diagrams. The only detail I've found for Part III is something on "Net calls in RAC Regiment and SP Atk Btys". There's a wonderfully detailed description of the operation of the 'rear link' tank in Armd Regts in "64 days of a Normandy Summer", the author of which undertook the role for a while. I presume from a few searches today that Part III may discuss this as well.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 10-12-20, 17:56

Well I have gotten hold of a decent copy of Pamphlet No.7, Part I, March 1945. I've only had a quick scan through it but it should help me understand the procedures I'm interested in.

It appears the example wireless nets are included in Part III, which eludes me for the moment. A couple of collections show on worldcat as holding a copy so I'll see what I can arrange.

Gary
Old 10-12-20, 20:09
GM Fox I

I've got the No.7 with three parts and can dig it out to answer some of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_GJK View Post
Thanks very much for coming back on this query, I kind of lost sight of it myself!

I've got a digital copying order in with the Australian War Memorial for copies of Parts 1 to 3 of Pamphlet No.5, so hopefully will be able to produce something useful from them.

On a related note, does anyone know the contents of the three parts of Pamphlet No.7 - RT Procedure, from 1945?

Part I - RT for users (March 1945)
Part II - RT for operators (May 1945)
Part III - Appendices (May 1945)

I was wondering in particular whether Part I includes any updated detail on unit wireless net diagrams. The only detail I've found for Part III is something on "Net calls in RAC Regiment and SP Atk Btys". There's a wonderfully detailed description of the operation of the 'rear link' tank in Armd Regts in "64 days of a Normandy Summer", the author of which undertook the role for a while. I presume from a few searches today that Part III may discuss this as well.

Thanks,

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
MP148.JPG  
Old 11-12-20, 16:41

That would be very good of you if you could, a scan of the contents page would be ideal if possible.

Gary