MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 09-03-20, 10:53
Dan Dolan

Default WTB: a single antenna wire with plug on the end for the WS No.19

I have the antenna base but am missing the wire and coax connector to the No. 19 WS to finish my Staghound radio installation in the turret.
Anyone?
Call Dan 505-269-2056
Old 09-03-20, 12:10

Hello Dan.

Are you referring to the coax cable running from the A-set plug on the front right of the set to the side of the Variometer? It has a right angle Pye Connector either end.

David
Old 09-03-20, 16:02
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Hello Dan.

Are you referring to the coax cable running from the A-set plug on the front right of the set to the side of the Variometer? It has a right angle Pye Connector either end.

David
Looking at the single IWM photograph of the aerial setup, it has a 'B' set base on the right hand rear of the turret top (if not fitted there's a square blanking plate with 4 bolt heads visible on other photos), and an 'A' set base on the LH rear. I suspect (because nobody ever seems to photograph the radio fit) it's a standard tank turret install: variometer and aerial feeder No.4 to the right of the set, with a 'through the roof' fit to the aerial base mounting No.1 and Base No.10 on top of that, and on the left of the set aerial base No.9 on mounting No.1 with the aerial base protector fitted.

The Sherman or Grizzly installation kit will list all the aerial parts required.

Chris.
Old 10-03-20, 19:21
Dan Dolan

Default antenna lcoations and cable issue

Chris: thanks for that......I am assuming that the variometer attaches to the bottom of the aerial feeder No. 4 (the pyramid shaped one). I guess I was under the mistaken belief that there was a cable from the bottom of the No.4 to the variometer and then one from the variometer to the front of the No. 19 set. I have the cable and antenna mount for the other side (one with the inverted protector around the base of the antenna mount).
I'VE SEEN A FEW PICTURES BUT NO ONE IT SEEMS GETS BACK INTO THE INNER RECESSES OF THE TURRET BUSTLE AND PHOTOS THE LAYOUT BEHIND THE No. 19 SET WHICH IS IN FRONT OF ALL THOSE CONNECTIONS!!!!!
I think I have the cable attaching to the variometer that plugs into the front ofthe No. 19 set.
Old 10-03-20, 20:03
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninNM View Post
Chris: thanks for that......I am assuming that the variometer attaches to the bottom of the aerial feeder No. 4 (the pyramid shaped one). I guess I was under the mistaken belief that there was a cable from the bottom of the No.4 to the variometer and then one from the variometer to the front of the No. 19 set. I have the cable and antenna mount for the other side (one with the inverted protector around the base of the antenna mount).
I'VE SEEN A FEW PICTURES BUT NO ONE IT SEEMS GETS BACK INTO THE INNER RECESSES OF THE TURRET BUSTLE AND PHOTOS THE LAYOUT BEHIND THE No. 19 SET WHICH IS IN FRONT OF ALL THOSE CONNECTIONS!!!!!
I think I have the cable attaching to the variometer that plugs into the front ofthe No. 19 set.
Okay.... for the usual 'through the roof' install, Aerial Feeder No.4 is fitted to the back of the variometer. This is all metal construction and has a length of conduit with a fine thread on it. The conduit goes through the 3/4" hole in the turret roof and also through the hole in the aerial base No.8 Mounting No.1 (which has a steel insert inside the rubber disc and 6 threaded holes to take the bolts for the aerial base) there's a tabbed lock washer and then a fine-thread nut to fasten the whole assembly in place. (There are also two locating holes (not full depth) in the turret roof, the topside one prevents the mounting from rotating, and the underside one does the same job for the variometer.) An "aerial pigtail" is then attached to the aerial base and to the centre contact of the aerial feeder, after which the aerial base can be fastened to the mounting (I think it uses 1/4" BSF hex bolts).

If the hole in the roof is much too large for the aerial feeder, it was drilled for a U.S. aerial base and you need a centering washer plus a spring washer to cover the hole from the inside.

Cable from 'A' set to variometer is "Leads, Aerial, No.1" and has two right-angled connectors. The one for the 'B' set to Aerial Base No.9 is "Leads, Aerial, No.2" and has a right-angle connector for the set end and an in-line one to connect to the bottom of the aerial base - the clip on the base should be a 'horse shoe' shape, but sometimes they come with the wrong type.

You will also probably need to change the position of the variometer front section so that you can read the scale when it's in position - this needs to happen before fitting it!

Hope this is some help.

Chris.
Old 10-03-20, 23:05
Dan Dolan

anywhere where I can find a picture of the fittings??? They are worth a 1000 words so they say - probably 3,000 to me!!! LOL
Old 18-03-20, 04:29

Hi, it sounds like you are looking for the installation kit for a Sherman tank variometer, which I happen to have both the diagram and the actual pieces. If you are not in a big hurry I can photograph the parts and post in the next 1-2 weeks. The Sherman cut-a-way drawing currently escapes me, but I can send along some images I've saved over the years in my WS19 digital archive.
Cheers, Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 11.00.19 PM.jpg   Variometer mounting 01 copy 2.JPG   Aerial Base No. 8 insulator 10.jpg   Aerial Base No. 8 insulator 06.jpg  
Old 10-04-20, 17:18

Hi Dan,
I believe I was sent this diagram a few years back by a fellow MLU member but I unfortunately don't remember who. It's a very helpful line drawing showing all the washers and plates. I've been wanting to post pictures of the Sherman variometer mount as a resource to MLU members so I will locate the Variometer this weekend and photograph it. I might start a new post so other people can easily locate and benefit from the information.
Cheers, Patrick
Old 10-04-20, 17:19

Here's the image:
Attached Thumbnails
Sherman tank mounting diagram.jpg  
Old 11-04-20, 00:48
Junior Password Gnome

I think Geoff Truscott provided the drawing.

The parts list (from variometer to aerial base, in order) is:

Aerial Feeder No.4 - goes on rear of variometer and terminates in conduit.

Packing piece - rectangular steel plate, fits over conduit, has locating peg to lock into a hole in the turret roof and a corresponding hole to take the peg on the rear of the variometer. (This is because the turret is drilled for the much larger American aerial feed arrangement - the locating peg has to be moved outwards to avoid the hole.)

Packing washer - large, thin, square spring washer. fits over conduit and serves to block the large hole in the turret roof and support the centering washer.

Centering washer - circular and about 1/8-in thick. Fits over the conduit and centers the aerial feeder No.4 in the much larger hole through the roof.

Aerial Base No.8 Mounting No.1 - rubber pad with steel insert. Locating peg on base engages with blind hole drilled in top of turret roof to prevent it unscrewing with vibration. Mounting fits over conduit of aerial feeder No.4 and is secured in place by the tab washer and fine threaded nut.

Aerial pigtail - length of wire with ring terminal (Ross Courtney type) on one end and a hex-headed screw soldered to the other. May be plastic or ceramic bead insulated. Screw it into the underside of aerial base No.8 (or 10) before attaching it to the centre connection of the aerial feeder and fitting the base to the mounting.

Aerial Base - can be No.8 (concave rubber profile), No.10 Mk.I (convex profile meets baseplate square-on, wing-nut clamp for aerial rods is a vast improvement over the spring type) or No.10 Mk.II (as Mk.I but the joint to the baseplate is concave for better adhesion and it has clamp screw for aerial rod one side and terminal nut to allow wire aerial use on the other). Bolts to aerial base mounting with six 1/4-in BSF hex bolts (may be different in Canadian manufacture, of course).

Best regards,
Chris.