Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-18, 23:46
VMVC

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Winfield View Post
Phil:

Thanks for your info - I had already looked it over and it was very helpful. But there seem to be some basic differences between the Ford and the Chev (voltmeter vs ammeter, for example). I probably got about 75% of what I needed. I guess I'll make my best guess for the rest, and when in doubt - go a little thicker.

John
Hi John,

This probably is a bit late response but it may be of some help.

Most of my wiring on my F15-A has been done with 14 Gauge wire. I used 10 gauge on No.36 generator armature wire and No.38 solenoid to voltage regulator. I used 12 gauge on No.34 generator earth and No.35 generator field. These were the gauge wires I found on the original harness.

The outside diameter can be deceptive as the original wires had a thicker covering. What matters is the number of strands in the wire and the load it can carry.
Also some suppliers measure the strands in imperial sizes and others in metric. Some use Nominal sizes 4mm, 5mm, 6mm which has no bearing on the outside diameter or core diameter. All this can add to the confusion of wire selection.

I haven't seen any original 20 gauge wire on my truck. There may have been some 16 gauge wire used in the dash lights, hi beam indicator, and trouble light socket but I opted for 14 gauge all around. I have attached a photo of a wire comparison card I made up a while ago. It may be of some interest.

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0173.JPG (218.3 KB, 11 views)

Jacques Reed

Last edited by Jacques Reed; 12-07-18 at 00:08.