MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 17-03-09, 19:07
Mr. HUP

Default Conversion Alternator Brackets

I am converting the 45 HUP to 12 volts. While 12 volt generators are available, I may go with a GM alternator. Has anyone found or developed a conversion bracket for an alternator?
Old 17-03-09, 21:21

The alternator bracket for the inline 6 is available from many of the standard chevy parts suppliers
Old 17-03-09, 22:05
Mr. HUP

Default Alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
The alternator bracket for the inline 6 is available from many of the standard chevy parts suppliers
Thanks Grant, That answers the first part of the question. I am sure there are cheaper alternatives than buying a new bracket, so if anyone has made up a bracket, I am interested in the dimensions of a home made version.
Old 17-03-09, 22:30
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Wink Cheap Bracket..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Thanks Grant, That answers the first part of the question. I am sure there are cheaper alternatives than buying a new bracket, so if anyone has made up a bracket, I am interested in the dimensions of a home made version.
Cheapo brackets but you are getting a little long in the tooth for Midnight Auto...
Old 17-03-09, 23:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
Talk nicely to Bob, he may have one you can use as a pattern.
Use care when making it to be sure you don't make the plane of the alternator pulley very far off the plane of the water pump and crankshaft pulleys. At best a mismatch will make the belts noisy and wear out faster. Worse, the motor might end up throwing a belt at an inconvenient time (is there a convenient time to throw a belt).
ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-...QQcmdZViewItem
others
http://www.americanclassic.com/Googl...BK-21-1938.htm

or see parts HP130 or HP131 at www.oldchevytrucks.com $51.85 US
Old 18-03-09, 00:47
Mr. HUP

Default The Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
Talk nicely to Bob, he may have one you can use as a pattern.
Use care when making it to be sure you don't make the plane of the alternator pulley very far off the plane of the water pump and crankshaft pulleys. At best a mismatch will make the belts noisy and wear out faster. Worse, the motor might end up throwing a belt at an inconvenient time (is there a convenient time to throw a belt).
ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1953-...QQcmdZViewItem
others http://www.americanclassic.com/Googl...BK-21-1938.htm or see parts HP130 or HP131 at www.oldchevytrucks.com $51.85 US
Ah! Now that I see how it is constructed, I know how I am going to fill the Barn day this weekend!
Old 18-03-09, 01:50

12V is for sissys.
anonimus/anominus/anony....ah heck (sp)

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 18-03-09, 02:12

Hi Rob
Seriously now, don't buy brackets. You guys can make them up easily especially when there is no sheet metal around the engine to hinder you. Back in the day (the older I get the more I like that phrase) I used to do a lot of these on old Chebbys. I used the original lower bracket if I remember correctly. One part I do remember is getting valve guides from the local machine shop, (used ones were free) that used a 3/8 valve stem, and cutting them up for spacers on the lower bracket. The upper adjuster arm can be made easily with a plasma cutter. Try to get a lower amperage Chev
alternator so the system doesn't have to work so hard. That is unless you are putting in an amp with your 8 track player. I used to make up kits for the homebuilt aircraft guys with a Vega 35amp alt. that fit the Lycoming engines.
I made a harness with an idiot light, alt & brackets for one quarter of what the kit plane companies wanted. I would tell you about the self exciting alternators but I know Alex will read this post and the "self exciting" part will be too much for the old guy.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 18-03-09, 02:21
Mr. HUP

Default Bracket Racket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Churcher View Post
Hi Rob
Seriously now, don't buy brackets. You guys can make them up easily especially when there is no sheet metal around the engine to hinder you. Back in the day (the older I get the more I like that phrase) I used to do a lot of these on old Chebbys. I used the original lower bracket if I remember correctly. One part I do remember is getting valve guides from the local machine shop, (used ones were free) that used a 3/8 valve stem, and cutting them up for spacers on the lower bracket. The upper adjuster arm can be made easily with a plasma cutter. Try to get a lower amperage Chev
alternator so the system doesn't have to work so hard. That is unless you are putting in an amp with your 8 track player. I used to make up kits for the homebuilt aircraft guys with a Vega 35amp alt. that fit the Lycoming engines.
I made a harness with an idiot light, alt & brackets for one quarter of what the kit plane companies wanted. I would tell you about the self exciting alternators but I know Alex will read this post and the "self exciting" part will be too much for the old guy.
Cheers,
Barry
Hi Barry,

What I was thinking of doing was to copy the base plate of the ebay offering mentioned by Grant. I was then going to take the original U bracket that bolts onto the engine block and cut it to fit the "new" alternator. Once fitted, I would get Bob to weld it to the base plate.

I have a single wire Chev alternator but I am not sure if it is a 10SI 63 amp version or not. Once the alternator is sorted out, a new 12v coil, condenser and single ballast resistors will be added so that I can use the original instrument cluster.

As for "exciters", Alex still gets excited, but doesn't remember why...
Old 18-03-09, 05:14
WO8 C15A 142736

I'm too lazy to make up brackets I just use a length of threaded rod and half a dozen nuts to lock things in place, then wack a resister in the exciter wire to save rigging a red light.
Old 19-03-09, 02:50

Default So simple.....

Rob

Walk over to my truck and copy the store bought bracket I got from Jim Carter...... you can even trake it off if you need to measure exactly.....in fact I might even have a spare one.

In any event like Barry said..... we can make one very easily.

Rebuilt GM one wire..... 65 amps.... are about $75 at the tractor dealer.

We may need to scrounge a suitable size pulley......

Boob
Canada