MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-12-07, 19:20

Default C8A HUM s/n 3844536691 1944

Original title: CMP Neophyte introduction

My name is Shayne and I live in Abbotsford, BC. I have been interested in owning a CMP for a number of years and have occasionally stalked listers here gleaning what information I could. Other interests and life have gotten in the way but I saw this HUP and decided to give it a shot.
So I purchased my first CMP and I have my work cut out for me. Although I have lurked here I am really still quite ignorant about these but know the basics.
The truck is a 1944 that spent the last 44 years of its life in Dease Lake, British Columbia (near the Yukon). The last time it was registered was in Alberta in 1963. It was rescued from a fate worse than death by a collector in the Lower Mainland who didn't have time for the project.
Enter Shayne.
I picked the truck up yesterday in an unseasonable snowstorm with the seat cover of my pickup clenched between my butt cheeks over the entire 50 km trip home. Well, it wasn't that bad but both sides of one hill that had me questioning my decision making abilities or lack thereof.
In any case here is the information off of the three data plates still with the truck:

Chassis Model: C8A
Cab Model: 13
Chassis Serial: 3844536691
Engine serial: FR3968926
Order Number: LV. 2611
Date of Manufacture: May 15, 1944

Maint Manual: MB-C2
Spare Parts List: C-15A-03

Body: 1C1
Serial: 6443

The doghouse, driver's door, rear door, and roof hatches are missing. The 216 engine is seized but it comes with a 235 good runner. The steering arm between the box and axle is broken.
I don't think some Armor-All and cut polish is going to be quite enough...

I'll try to attach some pictures:

hup1 2.jpg

Ready for the drive...

hup2-3.jpg

Upon arrival at home:

hup2-8.jpg

The driver's side 'hood'. Looks like a green over white shield with a white symbol of some nature.
The passenger side has the remains of a large number two in burgundy... possibly over white but I cannot tell for certain.
The passenger door is marked in white stenciled '81.966'

hup2-9.jpg