MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 24-07-21, 15:09
GM Fox I

Default E-bay digs itself a deeper hole

Not exactly a fan of ebay I do go there from time to time to check prices, see what's up. Beyond their 'glo-bull' shipping that charges three times the item price for shipping (right now there are $5 cap badges that require over $20 to ship) I noticed something else.

It's barely an auction anymore, rather a 'buy it now' online store. When I look at "Original WW2 Canadian Militaria" I get 535 'auction results' and 8,240 'buy it now results'. And some of what those vendors are asking.....JUST WOW!!!!!
Old 24-07-21, 16:03
carrier mech

They are also policing the goods thru the global shipping network. I have had a few purchases taken and destroyed. The first was a WW2 panoramic telescope for a priest self propelled gun. More recently it was an airpac brake booster for the military 5 ton. Had the booster been painted black, it likely would not have raised an eyebrow, but being olive green, it becomes controlled military goods.

In both cases they refund my purchase price, but the seller does not get their goods back, and I have no idea if they get to keep the sale proceeds.

As to their shipping prices, yes, the global shipping is crazy for the small stuff. But I can't complain on some of the medium size to larger stuff. It beats the surprize one can receive from a UPS or fedex shipment when they do the brokerage.
Old 24-07-21, 17:38
Terry Warner

Default ebay policies

Timely conversation

I have to list and sell a number of smalls (not necessarily HMV related), and my first thought was to go thru ebay. But the last time I sold anything there was a decade ago. Am I tied to their shipping and sending policy and tied-provider?

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 24-07-21, 19:54

Default Ebay shipping

I received some parts that I ordered from Ebay last week and they came by Canada Post. The parts came to Ontario from Manitoba. The global shipping may be only for parts originating in the United States.

Paul
Old 24-07-21, 20:05

Hi

As far as I know, you must now provide eBay with a Bank Account in order to sell. Paypal no longer cuts it for Sellers. Once I got that msg from them, I stopped selling there. I may, repeat may, open a separate account and sell on eBay again, mainly due to a lack of Shows to sell at, but have not made that decision yet.

As far as Global Shipping Program, I elected not to use it as a Seller back when it was rolled out and do not buy from any Seller who does use it. Sometimes I contact them before I bid and ask if they will ship at cost themselves. Some do and some do not. Many are surprised that a cap badge cost $30 to ship!! The Seller who uses GSP does not see the shipping/GSP costs to the Buyer in the auction the same way Buyers do. As far as new Sellers, I am unsure if eBay mandates its use or not. Not sure where in your account that you'd select it or not.

regards
Darrell
Old 25-07-21, 02:34
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Well, from this side of the globe, Global Shipping from the US/Can/UK is about 60-75% of the seller using Postal or Parcel companies, and can save even more when combining items. I don't know how they do it so cheap. They will usually be delivered to me by Australia Post.

What is funny is watching the tracking. 2 items can be bought from different sellers in the same area of the US, and both arrive on the same day at Pitney Bowes sorting center in Erlanger, Kentucky. One parcel will go via Kentucky>Florida>New York>Amsterdam>Australia, the other one will go Kentucky>Texas>California>Tokyo>Australia. And they both arrive in about a week or two, the same as USPS International Priority coming direct, because I see by the USPS tracking the item sits in Syracuse NY for a week.

Global Shipping must get the cheap rates by using the last remaining space before they close the door on the truck or container heading in the general direction of the destination, despite the number of legs on the journey.