MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 01-11-05, 22:37
Vets Dottir

Default Remembrance Day Toronto?

Hello ... yes, I'm a live and kicking.

Remembrance day is on us again and am wondering what ceremonies and events are scheduled for Toronto ... what, where, when, etc.

On the 12th??? I'm happy to say that I'll probably be very privileged to attend events and meet some Kangaroo's ... which should be awe inspiring.

Camera will definately be in my hand for this.

Who knows, maybe I'll even be able to toss frying pans at hairy Beasts or at a Dutch Skyscraper ... miracles do happen sometimes One can only WISH. Right?

Ma thanks you.
Old 01-11-05, 23:09
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: Remembrance Day Toronto?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
to toss frying pans at hairy Beasts

........ ...... in your dreams MA ........
Old 01-11-05, 23:15
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Remembrance Day Toronto?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
........ ...... in your dreams MA ........
Don't you mean in my NIGHTMARES? :
Old 01-11-05, 23:48
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Remembrance Day Toronto?

Quote:

Remembrance day is on us again and am wondering what ceremonies and events are scheduled for Toronto ... what, where, when, etc.

On the 12th??? I'm happy to say that I'll probably be very privileged to attend events and meet some Kangaroo's ... which should be awe inspiring.

Camera will definately be in my hand for this.

Who knows, maybe I'll even be able to toss frying pans at hairy Beasts or at a Dutch Skyscraper ... miracles do happen sometimes One can only WISH. Right?

Ma thanks you.
Ma...
On the 12TH...???
You'll be there by yourself..
Rememberance Day is on the 11th...
11th hour..11th day..11th month...
Old 02-11-05, 00:18
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Ma...
On the 12TH...???
You'll be there by yourself..
Rememberance Day is on the 11th...
11th hour..11th day..11th month...
Yes ... I know 11/11/11

But I think the Kangaroo event is ??/12/11 (must doublecheck with Sunray on date)
Old 02-11-05, 12:11
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Remembrance Day Toronto?

Quote:

Hey Ma, any chance you, or any other MLU'er would mind mailing me a couple of poppies? I brought a couple down here with me when I moved but they're starting to get a little crumpled. I wear one to all the Remembrance Day events I attend and always get asked questions about the history of the poppy. I'll be driving my C15 in the Fort Worth Veteran's Day parade on the 11th (proudly displaying the Red Ensign and the Engineer's flags!) and then in Waxahachie on the 12th. I'll be reading "In Flanders Fields" to the crowd. Be pleased to reimburse you for any expenses. Thanks! Derek.

Derek Heuring
3901 Emerald Park Dr,
Corinth, Tx.
USA 76208
Old 02-11-05, 18:01
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Hey Ma, any chance you, or any other MLU'er would mind mailing me a couple of poppies? I brought a couple down here with me when I moved but they're starting to get a little crumpled. I wear one to all the Remembrance Day events I attend and always get asked questions about the history of the poppy. I'll be driving my C15 in the Fort Worth Veteran's Day parade on the 11th (proudly displaying the Red Ensign and the Engineer's flags!) and then in Waxahachie on the 12th. I'll be reading "In Flanders Fields" to the crowd. Be pleased to reimburse you for any expenses. Thanks! Derek.

Derek Heuring
3901 Emerald Park Dr,
Corinth, Tx.
USA 76208
Hi Derek,

Have you had any replies/offers of poppies yet?

I don't know that if I sent you some if they'd get there before Nov. 11th from here ... and I also don't know if there would be a problem with the pins parts going through customs??? Will have to find out ... also will have to find some poppies which shouldn't be too hard to do as they're sold all over the place (donations). It would be really hard to find any with the original felt centers though so I could probably only send you the newer versioned ones

What say you?

Ma
Old 02-11-05, 21:06
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Poppies

We can get you some, Derek, and they shouldn't be a problem to ship... but I second Yappie's contention - knowing both our mail services - that it might be impossible to get them to you in time through regular mail. If you have no source for them down there, it might be possible to send them through what we call Expresspost, a few days at best but more expensive.

Let us know.

Geoff
Old 02-11-05, 21:33
Proud Grandson of a Roo!

Hi Derek, I have three here I will post today for you, You should have them by the 11th!
Old 02-11-05, 21:43
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Spurrat
Hi Derek, I have three here I will post today for you, You should have them by the 11th!
Cool ... but I think you should Express Post that so it's sure to get there in time .... snail mail .... If Derek is in a smaller town or community, I assume mail would go to bigger cities for sorting and sending on to smaller communities.

When I lived in Nelson, to send a letter to Winnipeg, it first went to vancouver (West Coast) to be sorted then sent to Winnipeg. Letters took more than a week usually. And you're dealing with International mailing
Old 02-11-05, 23:48
RIP

Default Year of the Veteran-Nov 11/05

Well,I have good news and bad news.I met late this afternoon with Mr Les Monday. RCEME,as he insists,D-Day Dodger,who confirms he'll be at St.Marys' church next Thursday,wearing his damn medals which was like prying teeth) when the 306(Maple Wing)Pipes and Drums,together with the concert band do their nostalgia 40's concert,Nov.10th.He'll be there to accept his Canadian ensign,courtesy of our GWB.Unfortunately,as he told me,RSM Fogarty of the Grenadier Guards,is in hospital,near death.I propose to ask the audience,as to who is the longsst serving vet.Then I will present the second ensign to this gentleman.
I hope to have my daughter Jenn take photos of the presentations,but hell,you know kids and their promises.Perhaps my boss(Debbie Baby)can borrow Jenn's digital camera to record the event.I'll be drumming with the Air Force Pipes & Drums but in my green tweed day jacket and Sutherland kilt.
Side note to Karmen-sorry,no pics of your bud Shad,he's an atheist-not allowed in churches-carries empty beer bottles wherever he goes.The priest would probably excommunicate his first Golden Retriever.WOW Saint Shadow,the giver of beer.
Old 03-11-05, 00:04
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Garry

I'm sure the Shadster will be there in spirit! (in spiritus sanctum?)

We'll be attending the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada parade this coming Sunday, and next Saturday, the annual reunion of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier Regiment survivors. We were hoping Hanno could make it over for this, but alas, it looks as if his work takes precedence.

Give Shadster a beer on me, ok?
Old 03-11-05, 00:39
RIP

Default I forgot to include this

I asked Mr Monday if he was a legion member and if he had a beret for Thursday night. Boy,did he light into me and I quote as best as he said it."After the Savio River(I think thats' what he said)watching my buddies blowing sky high on the river bank ??And you want me to join the Legion to talk about it??Are you crazy"End of quote.At least I've got him coming out to the remembrance ceremony next Thursday as an honored guest.GOD I TRY .
Old 03-11-05, 03:13
Proud Grandson of a Roo!

Derek, they are otw. They assured me you would have them before the 11th.
Old 03-11-05, 03:34
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Thank you very much! I try to keep a little bit of Canada alive in this part of Texas and having a poppy to wear on Remembrance Day goes a long way in achieving that. Let me know if I can repay you in any way! I sincerely mean that, Derek.
Old 03-11-05, 03:46
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Cool ... but I think you should Express Post that so it's sure to get there in time .... snail mail .... If Derek is in a smaller town or community, I assume mail would go to bigger cities for sorting and sending on to smaller communities.

When I lived in Nelson, to send a letter to Winnipeg, it first went to vancouver (West Coast) to be sorted then sent to Winnipeg. Letters took more than a week usually. And you're dealing with International mailing
Thanks to all of you for appreciating how much it means to me to have a poppy for Remembrance Day! Actually snail mail should get here in plenty of time, I'm just 1/2 hr. north of Dallas and I'm surprised sometimes at how quickly mail gets back and forth to Canada. Thanks again! Y'all are great!

By the by Ma, this is the first I've heard about you being from Nelson. I spent several months working in the mountains around there timber cruising for Reid, Collins and Assoc. back in '72. We stayed in a motel just across the river north of town, don't remember the name off-hand. Boy, could I tell you some stories, especially about some pretty co-eds from Notre Dame University!.......say, you weren't a student there back then were you?!?
Old 03-11-05, 03:48
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Once again, thank you very much! Anything in particular you collect that I may send you as a small token of my esteem?
Old 03-11-05, 05:09
Proud Grandson of a Roo!

Derek do not worry about the cost, it's minimal compared to what you are doing to represent us.

You could post a picture of you and your C15 as I am sure everyone would like see that.

Wear them with pride!
Old 03-11-05, 05:53
Proud Grandson of a Roo!

Karmen if you are attending the reunion I have a job for you.

Use all of your feminine wiles to get all of the Kangaroos together for a group photo. This is very important!

Then you get a list of names of all those in attendance and post the two items together on this website.

Then you can sit back and know you have made us all proud and thankful.
Old 03-11-05, 06:06
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Jason ... you're AWESOME! I will NOT send poppies now expecting they will arrive to Derek via YOU OH MASTER SPURRAT, Oh Most Kind and Helpful heart Gotta love that !!!

MLU Folks are THE best!

Ma
Old 03-11-05, 06:10
Vets Dottir

Quote:
By the by Ma, this is the first I've heard about you being from Nelson. I spent several months working in the mountains around there timber cruising for Reid, Collins and Assoc. back in '72. We stayed in a motel just across the river north of town, don't remember the name off-hand. Boy, could I tell you some stories, especially about some pretty co-eds from Notre Dame University!.......say, you weren't a student there back then were you?!?
OH MY GAWWWWD ... NOW I remember you!!! I WAS that purty girl and only 18 you old fart ... was I BAD???? I don't recall after the point we were falling out of the tree ....

Ah hell ... now I'm in trouble ...

:idea: did I say that?

(I moved to Nelson 15 Jan. 1990 ... you were BEFORE my time )
Old 04-11-05, 01:27
RIP

Default Hey Karmen !!

Been watching the thread !!Nice to see you and Mark have made up(NOT).I've been busy vacuuming the Shad.Unfortunately,caught his tail in the beater brush.Didn't know golden retrievers were that fast.Actually,he's laying here in the basement den,farthest from me,giving me a look that would kill.Just cut off all the matted hair around his ears,which he didn't mind.Oh well.Just looked over to him and he's laying there panting with his tongue hanging out about 3 inches.Hold on,gonna go get the tape measure and give you an exact measurement.Yep,3 inches,didn't know golden's had tongues that long !!Geez,now he's laying behind a table,in the far recesses of the den!! OH1!!OH!!,Debbie baby my wwife just showed up,and is asking me what I did to her dog !!Got to get out of here while I can still type.I' m gone
Old 04-11-05, 05:39
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Karmen if you are attending the reunion I have a job for you.

Use all of your feminine wiles to get all of the Kangaroos together for a group photo. This is very important!

Then you get a list of names of all those in attendance and post the two items together on this website.

Then you can sit back and know you have made us all proud and thankful.
I love that idea and I'll do my best to get photos and names ... and post when the photos get developed to CD.

I'm really looking forward to meeting these Kangaroo's ... I'll get Master Sunray to tell me more of their history before then, so I know better who I'm with and what they went through and accomplished

So much history ... so little time

Karmen.
Old 04-11-05, 05:42
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Hey Karmen !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Been watching the thread !!Nice to see you and Mark have made up(NOT).I've been busy vacuuming the Shad.Unfortunately,caught his tail in the beater brush.Didn't know golden retrievers were that fast.Actually,he's laying here in the basement den,farthest from me,giving me a look that would kill.Just cut off all the matted hair around his ears,which he didn't mind.Oh well.Just looked over to him and he's laying there panting with his tongue hanging out about 3 inches.Hold on,gonna go get the tape measure and give you an exact measurement.Yep,3 inches,didn't know golden's had tongues that long !!Geez,now he's laying behind a table,in the far recesses of the den!! OH1!!OH!!,Debbie baby my wwife just showed up,and is asking me what I did to her dog !!Got to get out of here while I can still type.I' m gone
I swear there Master GS ... I shall certainly have to make a special effort to hunt you down one day soon and bring my frying pans!!! I shall also teach my beloved Shadster how to use them ... WOOF WOOF

Old 10-11-05, 18:40
RIP

Default Our Presence nixed

Quote:
I asked Mr Monday if he was a legion member and if he had a beret for Thursday night. Boy,did he light into me and I quote as best as he said it."After the Savio River(I think thats' what he said)watching my buddies blowing sky high on the river bank ??And you want me to join the Legion to talk about it??Are you crazy"End of quote.At least I've got him coming out to the remembrance ceremony next Thursday as an honored guest.GOD I TRY .
Well,I guess this is modern Canada.My idea to present flags at the Remembrance Concert this evening has be culled by the current powers-that-be.Gave the bad news to Les Monday last night over at his home.He said to me and I quote,"I knew that would happen".Apparently I got an e-mail from of all people,my ex pipe major stating my presentation of the flags had not been cleared with higher-ups and also that my playing drum with the current members of the pipes and drums may upset them.I know why ! They 're lousy,.Anyway,I'm a little disappointed with people who are in charge.But I'll be there tonight together with another ex drummer to stare these bastards down.Oh well.Guess I have to present the flags in a personal service

Signed
Disappointed
Old 10-11-05, 19:25
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Our Presence nixed

Quote:
Well,I guess this is modern Canada.My idea to present flags at the Remembrance Concert this evening has be culled by the current powers-that-be.Gave the bad news to Les Monday last night over at his home.He said to me and I quote,"I knew that would happen".Apparently I got an e-mail from of all people,my ex pipe major stating my presentation of the flags had not been cleared with higher-ups and also that my playing drum with the current members of the pipes and drums may upset them.I know why ! They 're lousy,.Anyway,I'm a little disappointed with people who are in charge.But I'll be there tonight together with another ex drummer to stare these bastards down.Oh well.Guess I have to present the flags in a personal service

Signed
Disappointed
Ah ... what a huge disappointment Garry ... I'm sorry to hear this plan got derailed ... you'd think they'd be glad to include that for the Vets ... for after all, aren't honouring the Vets with respect and symbols of appreciation THAT THE VETS APPRECIATE what this is all about?

If I know you though, I'm sure you'll find a way to present these flags properly, (perhaps before or after the official ceremonies while they are there "? That a possibility ... in spite of the lack of clearance???

Karmen
Old 10-11-05, 19:59
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Derek do not worry about the cost, it's minimal compared to what you are doing to represent us.

You could post a picture of you and your C15 as I am sure everyone would like see that.

Wear them with pride!
Poppies arrived safe and sound yesterday! Once again, thank you very much! Unfortunately, I won't be driving my CMP in the parade tomorrow. I installed a new water pump yesterday and during the process flushed the cooling system and replaced the brown, rusty water with antifreeze. Antifreeze being slippier than mud found all sorts of pinhole leaks in my radiator....aaarrrgghhh! Of course, this being a R.O.T. (rusty old truck) you can't have just one problem.....I'm repainting my truck DTB and while clambering around underneath the beast I detected a strong odour of gasoline. I didn't see any fuel pooling on the ground, but upon closer examination of the fuel tank i noticed that it was damp around the bottom. I could just about push my finger through the tank the metal was so thin...so thin in fact that it wasn't leaking fuel, but rather was OOZING fuel! Can't have the only Canadian vehicle in the parade going up in flames now can we?!?

Anyway, I'll be marching in the parade in my WW II Royal Canadian Engineer's uniform, wearing a nice new Poppy thanks to you! Cheemo!
Old 10-11-05, 20:20
Vets Dottir

Default Poppies

Hi Derek,

I'm glad those poppies arrived in time for you!!! Great going "Spurrat"

(sorry to hear about the vehicle problems though )

Karmen
Old 11-11-05, 01:17
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Poppies arrived safe and sound yesterday! Once again, thank you very much! Unfortunately, I won't be driving my CMP in the parade tomorrow. I installed a new water pump yesterday and during the process flushed the cooling system and replaced the brown, rusty water with antifreeze. Antifreeze being slippier than mud found all sorts of pinhole leaks in my radiator....aaarrrgghhh! Of course, this being a R.O.T. (rusty old truck) you can't have just one problem.....I'm repainting my truck DTB and while clambering around underneath the beast I detected a strong odour of gasoline. I didn't see any fuel pooling on the ground, but upon closer examination of the fuel tank i noticed that it was damp around the bottom. I could just about push my finger through the tank the metal was so thin...so thin in fact that it wasn't leaking fuel, but rather was OOZING fuel! Can't have the only Canadian vehicle in the parade going up in flames now can we?!?

Anyway, I'll be marching in the parade in my WW II Royal Canadian Engineer's uniform, wearing a nice new Poppy thanks to you! Cheemo!
Don't you mean "Chimo" ?
Old 11-11-05, 03:54
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Poppies

Quote:
Hi Derek,

I'm glad those poppies arrived in time for you!!! Great going "Spurrat"

(sorry to hear about the vehicle problems though )

Karmen
Just part of the fun of restoring R.O.T.'s. On the positive side, the paint is a perfect match and looks great! My CMP will really stand out amidst the sea of Olive Drab U.S. vehicles once it's finished.
Any way, on another note. Every Remembrance I like to read to my friends, "Salute to the Engineers" which was written by Cpl. Claude Radley of the 18th Field Co. of the R.C.E. during WW II. So here goes:

SALUTE TO THE ENGINEERS
Now the Lord of the Realms has glorified the Charge of the Light Brigade,
And the thin red line of infantry, when will it’s glory fade?
There are robust rhymes of the British Tars and classic Musketeers,
But I shall sing till your eardrums ring of the muddy old Engineers.

Now it’s all very well to fly through the air, or humour a heavy gun,
Or ride in tanks through the ranks of the broken and shattered Hun.
And it’s nice to think when a U-boat sinks, of the glory that outlives years,
But whoever heard of a vaunting work for the muddy old Engineers?

Now you must not feel as you read this rhyme that a Sapper’s a jealous knave,
That he joined the ranks for a vote of thanks or in search of a hero’s grave.
No, your mechanized is all right and your Tommy has darned few peers,
But where in Hell would the lot of them be if it weren’t for the Engineers?

Oh they look like tramps but they build your camps and sometimes lead the advance.
And they sweat red blood to bridge the flood, to give you a fighting chance.
But who stays behind when it gets too hot, to blow up the roads in the rear?
Just tell your wife that you owe your life to the muddy old Engineers!

No fancy crest is pinned on his chest; if you read what his hat badge says,
Why “Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense”, is a queersome sort of phrase.
But their modest claim to immortal fame has probably reached your ears,
The first to arrive, and the last to leave, are the Glorious Engineers

Amen to that! CHIMO!