MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 30-04-10, 16:51
Dutch member

Default National Liberation Parade, Sunday May 9, 2010

No room for our Canadian specials in the Remembrance Parade.
The Dutch Vehicle Group "KTR" plus the big shots from Apeldoorn have made the decision, only US trucks GMC - Dodge - etc. plus some Canadian trucks with a G.S. body in the parade.

No hit the road, for our "Blackbook" specials: FOX - Lynx - Loyd Carrier(6-pr)gun - FAT(limber/25-pr)gun, and crew.

A very disappointment,

Dirk
Old 01-05-10, 13:35

Yes, very strange news indeed. Slowly the public is forgetting that most of our country was liberated by the Canadians....and most of them are thinking it was the Americans that were responsable......the invasion star and liberation parades nowadays are not helping.

Dirk, any chance we can see Stefan and you in another parade or tour on May 5th????

Alex
Old 01-05-10, 15:16
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Alex And Dirk.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Yes, very strange news indeed. Slowly the public is forgetting that most of our country was liberated by the Canadians....and most of them are thinking it was the Americans that were responsable......the invasion star and liberation parades nowadays are not helping.

Dirk, any chance we can see Stefan and you in another parade or tour on May 5th????

Alex
Alex and Dirk...
You should contact those ungrateful,ignorant..yes IGNORANT(Because they either don't know or don't care to recognize how close the Dutch and Canadians are...) parade organizers..
Send them this clip to remind them..and tell them we are not sending the tulip bulbs back..
http://archives.cbc.ca/on_this_day/01/19/

Send the message with Hanno..all 6'17" of fire breathing Dutchman...they'll get the message..

Old 01-05-10, 15:43

I was in Appledorn last May..I went to the Visitor Center and asked if there were any Memorials to Canadians..the girl at the center did NOT know of any

I was lucky as I was talking to the Girlfriend about it at a Cafe..the Waiter did know of 2..and he gave us dirctions to them...small messy ones near a Canal..covered with garbage...rather sad I thought.

Dean
Old 02-05-10, 00:49
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Those KTR types need to be reminded of our common history... yes, there were some Americans there, but for the most part, it was the Canadians and British who liberated Nederlands. Most of us seem to know this already, but it might behoove the KTR people to remember who was actually there in '45 (and what they drove).

The government of the Nederlands knows this.. why don't these vehicle types recognise it?

Read this, in our local papers today:

Quote:
May 1, 2010
Netherlands to mark 65th anniversary of liberation
By KATHLEEN HARRIS, Parliamentary Bureau Chief

Gilles Turcot. (QMI Agency Photo)
OTTAWA — After five years of hunger, fear and despair, there were tears of jubilation.

Under occupation by the Nazi Germans, the Dutch had endured an especially harsh winter in 1945. Thousands had already died of starvation and thousands more were frail, weak and dying.

Second World War veteran Gilles Turcot — one of the thousands of Canadians who brought food and freedom to Holland that spring — tries to focus on these moments of joy when he remembers the long bloody war.

“They wanted to hold you and kiss you and thank you,” he recalled from his home in Magog, Que. “The Dutch people are the most generous in terms of showing gratitude for the efforts for liberating them.”

Turcot went overseas at the start of the war in 1939 at age 21 with the Royal 22nd Regiment — the “Van Doos.” Wounded by a shell during the invasion of Sicily, he returned to Europe for the end of the war. As second in command of his company, the troops fought their way through to “finish the war.” Moving from town to town, they found alternately weak and fierce resistance.

“A lot of the SS were fanatics and they thought they would still win the war, but on the whole we were stronger than they were by then in Holland and we were pushing them back, pushing them back, until we pushed them back in the hook against the sea,” he said.

Turcot, who continued to serve in the armed forces after the war, is returning to the Netherlands this week to mark the 65th anniversary of the liberation.

“It will be the last time, no doubt, and the country will be covered in Canadian flags,” he said.

But amid the celebration will be grief for the thousands of Canadians who never returned home. Turcot said he is still stunned to see the ages etched on white markers in neat rows at war cemeteries.

“It makes you cry. At the time they’re killed, you’re the same age and it doesn’t strike you in the same way. But once you’re old like I am and go to the cemeteries, I can’t help but cry.”

Dr. Steve Harris, chief historian with the Department of National Defence, said the liberation of Holland took part in two distinct phases — in the fall of 1944 and the spring of 1945. While the Germans didn’t fight hard everywhere, the campaign still had intense and deadly fighting.

In some areas, there was a bizarre proximity of both violent battle and joyous celebration.

“In some of these towns, the Canadian army would fight its way through and by the time the lead elements were at the far end of the town, there was already a liberation party going on at the back of the town,” he said.

Harris said the deep gratitude of the Dutch endures 65 years later because the oppression and hunger was so severe. If the liberation had come just two months later, an estimated half the population in the western part of the country would have starved to death.

“We helped them get their political independence back, but I think that’s almost second place to the fact that we saved the people, and they know that they were saved,” he said.

The Dutch show their gratitude to Canada with annual gifts of tulip bulbs, by tending to the war graves and by extending a welcome to Canadian visitors for commemoration every five years. Next week’s events in Holland are expected to be the last to take place on a grand scale, as the direct connection weakens with the aging veteran population. Thousands of Canadian students, teachers, veterans and dignitaries are travelling to take part in ceremonies in the run-up to VE-Day May 8, the end of the Second World War in Europe.

Wim Geerts, the Netherlands’ ambassador to Canada, expects a crescendo of appreciation across the country to thank the “brave Canadians.”

“Unfortunately that group is getting smaller, and that is why we think it is important to pass on the torch to the younger generation, encouraging them to visit war cemeteries and think about what it must have been like being far from home, risking their lives and fighting for the liberty of others,” he said.

The critical period in bloody history forged a close bond between Canada and the Netherlands.

“It was a turning point in our history. Our lives, the lives of our grandparents and parents, would be very different if we had not been liberated from Nazi occupation,” Geerts said. “They are our liberators — our heroes.”

kathleen.harris@sunmedia.ca
Old 02-05-10, 12:35
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Leegwater View Post
The Dutch Vehicle Group "KTR" plus the big shots from Apeldoorn have made the decision, only US trucks GMC - Dodge - etc. plus some Canadian trucks with a G.S. body in the parade.
Dirk,

I can see why you are disappointed. But as I understand it, the primary function of the vehicles in this parade is to transport veterans, hence the request for vehicles which can carry passengers. Many Jeep owners will be disappointed, too!

On the other hand, there is a tendency to forget the major Commonwealth contribution to the liberation of the Netherlands. Therefore I personally would like to see some Canadian specials to freshen up our collective recollection of the past!

Hanno
Old 02-05-10, 15:46
Dutch member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
Dirk,

.............the primary function of the vehicles in this parade is
to transport veterans, hence the request for vehicles which can
carry passengers.....Many Jeep owners will be disappointed, too!

Hanno
Sorry Hanno, no comment...............

Dirk
Old 03-05-10, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean (Ajax) View Post
I was in Appledorn last May..I went to the Visitor Center and asked if there were any Memorials to Canadians..the girl at the center did NOT know of any

I was lucky as I was talking to the Girlfriend about it at a Cafe..the Waiter did know of 2..and he gave us dirctions to them...small messy ones near a Canal..covered with garbage...rather sad I thought.

Dean
Hello, what a shame, the National Memorial for all Canadians is in Apeldoorn and in the villages around Apeldoorn are several Memorials wich are maintained by the local schoolchildren to keep the memory alive.
Each year on 11 november or the sunday closest to it, there is a ceremony at the National Canada/Holland memorial, a twin of this statue is in Ottawa.

http://www.monument.apeldoorn-onderw...met3hoeden.htm

Hendrik
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 03-05-10, 22:56
HUP guy

Dirk & Stefan,

I agree it is sad there is no room in the Apeldoorn parade for your very rare restored Canadian vehicles. Your disappointment is shared by your Canadian crew from 2000 and 2005.

Is there a Bunschoten - Spakenburg parade this year ? I have fond memories of those parades in 2000 and 2005 as well. I recall we met up with Hanno there at the last one.

Brian
Old 05-05-10, 07:54

I think it is also the general thinking of the staff from KTR , There was a group of British collectors who wanted to take part in the April events , and they were refused because they were no member of KTR . Some people came up with you can book in under my name , and ... this is another solution you can do , the British wisely said forget it , it is the mentallity wich counts .
But from the other hand KTR people with their orange klogs and flag parade are in the front row if there is something to do in a neighbouring country.
But this is already going on for years , my first encounter with KTR was in 1984 , we came to a town were Tom Bewick with his trusty Ford LAAT was refused in the parade because the truck had a diesel engine in .Even after we explained that he had to go 900 miles till the ferry , and then another 300 on the continent , that didn`t dare them , their Dodges were at least the real thing and they drive them as long as they could see their home town church tower . Finally the Major came past our lot , and asked wy these special vehicles were not parked up for the parade !! then bla bla bla , hmmm sorted he said you all go as first , you are our foreign guest, and there is a meal and a drink in the Town hal afterwards.
Later a lot of offences were trown at our lot ,because club bobo`s were not in the lead of the parade .
So that is wy I must be the only person in Holland who never has been a member of KTR .
Old 05-05-10, 11:26

Default liberation parade

Maurice its all about small time club mentality...I have came across it many times even here in the UK.....we are lucky here in the north of the country that we have so many great ambasadors..i.e.Tom Bewick with the Ford and Denny Thomson with the Matador prepared to travel great distances to honour our veterens...I recall one time in Eindhoven Denny and I where stopped by the Burgomiester and given a silver medal each...he said he was so pleased to see a British vehicle in the midst of so many vehicles from the USA!Its like Arnhem there's more make believe wanabee Paras there than ever served in the Airborne!cheers malcolm PS cant see Dirk or Stephen leting anybody take the P**s out of them.
Old 11-05-10, 12:28

I watched the program on the Apeldoorn parade on the national TV and a good friend was in Apeldoorn to give a "live" report.
For purists the parade definately was disappointing. Just as expected....Canadian vets in 101 AB Dodges. There were a few Commonwealth vehicles around, even a very nice C15A, but they were largely outnumbered by American Dodges, GMC's and US Chevy's.

It didn't seem to bother the vets though; they were having a great time.

Alex
Old 28-05-10, 18:25
MLU Administrator

Picture of the 1945 liberation - CMPs galore!

Source: http://www.apeldoornendeoorlog.nl/pers/persfotos/
Attached Thumbnails
05 Intocht van de Canadezen over de Bailybrug in de Deventerstraat (CODA H. Stokhuyzen).jpg  
Old 28-05-10, 22:50
Terry Warner

Default The Man with Two Hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrik van Oorspronk View Post
Hello, what a shame, the National Memorial for all Canadians is in Apeldoorn and in the villages around Apeldoorn are several Memorials wich are maintained by the local schoolchildren to keep the memory alive.
Each year on 11 november or the sunday closest to it, there is a ceremony at the National Canada/Holland memorial, a twin of this statue is in Ottawa.

http://www.monument.apeldoorn-onderw...met3hoeden.htm

Hendrik
Hendrik:

You may be pleased to learn that I walk past this statue twice a day. Teenage girls like having their picture taken holding their hands on the statue's backside.

That particular park has a very somber memorial plaque for victims of an Air India 747 that was blown out of the sky by terrorists killing all on board, including hundreds of Canadians. Off to the west is Queen Julianna Park where we often play soccer or ultimate frisbee. A few kilometers in the other direction is a monument to the female signals operators who did highly classified intercepts during WWII.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 23-07-10, 18:07

Default A Day for Canadians to Honour Those Who have Fallen

Department of National Defence
Jul 23, 2010 11:33 ET
A Day for Canadians to Honour Those Who have Fallen

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - July 23, 2010) - On July 22nd, the Canadian Forces contingent participating in the 94th annual International Four Day Marches Nijmegen visited the Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery in the Netherlands for a memorial service on the third day of the Nijmegen Marches in the year of the 65th anniversary of the Liberation of the Netherlands.

Many members of the contingent considered their visit to Groesbeek the most important part of the strenuous four-day march, as it represents our history, sacrifice, remembrance, and the affection Canadians have received from the Dutch community since the end of the Second World War. The Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery, which was opened on May 5, 1947 by Queen Wilhelmina, is the final resting place to some 2,338 Canadian soldiers and airmen who died in the battles to liberate the Netherlands in 1944 and 1945.

Gunner Jeffrey Rijnen, a member of the 3 Area Support Group Team, participated in the Nijmegen Marches as a way to honour his grandfather who served with the Dutch Army during the Second World War, was placed in a concentration camp, and was part of the force to help Liberate the Netherlands. Gunner Rijnen very quietly and emotionally described to the local Dutch how he is honoured to be marching the streets of Nijmegen and to be at the Groesbeek cemetery in a Canadian uniform. "The crowds always cheered for the Canadian teams," said Gunner Rijnen. "In my opinion, they cheered for the Canadians the loudest."

Corporal David Ogilvie, a member of the North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) team from Colorado Springs, found the memorial service particularly emotional as his great uncle was the youngest member of the Royal Canadian Air Force to be killed in the war at the age of 18, and is buried at the Groesbeek Cemetery. He and his team took the time to hold a minute of silence at the grave site of his great uncle.

Many members of the Canadian contingent participated in this year's Nijmegen Marches as a way to remember those that helped liberate the Netherlands 65 years ago. The memorial service at Groesbeek gave everyone the opportunity to reflect on the past, honour those that paid the ultimate sacrifice, and understand the strong bond between the Canadians and the Dutch.

It was a day full of emotion for the Canadians on parade and our Dutch friends who stood and paid their respects as well. We will remember them. Lest we forget.

Notes to editor / news director:

Media agencies can request interviews with CF personnel in Nijmegen by contacting the Media Liaison Office at 1-866-377-0811 or 613-996-2353.

Still imagery is available on the Canadian Forces Image Gallery at: www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca

For more information, please contact
Information: 1-866-377-0811/613-996-2353
www.forces.gc.ca
Click here to see all recent news from this company
Old 23-07-10, 22:00

Default The March is over..Beer time...

Jul 23, 2010 15:54 ET
Canadian Forces Contingent Successfully Completes the Nijmegen Marches

OTTAWA, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - July 23, 2010) - After four long days, 160 kilometres, and hundreds of blisters and sore feet, the Canadian Forces (CF) contingent successfully completed the 94th annual International Four Days Marches Nijmegen. Consisting of 189 soldiers, sailors, airmen and airwomen from units across Canada, the Canadian contingent can now put their feet up after having finished one of the most prestigious long-distance walking events in the world.

To complete the Nijmegen Marches, each participant marched 40 km each day, for four days in a row, while wearing standard combat clothing and carrying a military backpack weighing at least 10 kilograms. The contingent marched through the Dutch countryside and crowded streets of towns in the Nijmegen area – often walking the same terrain where many Canadians fell during the Second World War.

"It was an honour and privilege to participate in the Nijmegen Marches," said the Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, who marched with the Canadian contingent on the fourth and final day of the marches. "Walking on the same terrain on which Canadians fought exactly 65 years ago to help liberate the Netherlands, we could not help but feel proud to be Canadian. I would like to congratulate the entire Canadian contingent on successfully completing this amazing feat."

Led by Brigadier-General J.C. Madower, the CF contingent also honoured the thousands of Canadians who fought and died during the World Wars by participating in commemorations at the Canadian National Vimy Memorial in France, and the Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery in the Netherlands.

"Many CF members consider their visits to the memorials the most important part of the Nijmegen experience," said Brig.-Gen. Madower. "They represent the extraordinary affection Canadians have received from the international community and the Dutch people, in particular, since the end of the Second World War."

After completing the grueling 160 km march, the contingent then marched downtown Nijmegen for the Victory Parade – also called the "Via Gladiola" for the flowers thrown at the marchers along the way by thousands of spectators. Members of the CF contingent who completed the Nijmegen Marches then received the Four Day Marches Cross from Brig.-Gen. Madower. For the majority of the Canadian Contingent, this was their first Nijmegen experience.

The Nijmegen Marches is the world's largest walking event, and over 45,000 marchers from at least 50 nations, as well as over a million spectators, participate every year.

Notes to editor / news director: Media agencies can request interviews with CF personnel who participated in Nijmegen by contacting the Media Liaison Office at 1-866-377-0811 or 613-996-2353.

Still imagery is available on the Canadian Forces Image Gallery at:

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca...e=combatcamera

Imagery and stories of the Nijmegen Marches are posted on the following website: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/nij-nim/index-eng.asp

For more information, please contact
Information: 1-866-377-0811/613-996-2353
www.forces.gc.ca
Click here to see all recent news from this company